• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Music Storage

case sensitive

TRIBE Member
Okay so collecting music has been a bit of an obession of mine over the last 12 years. Tapes, CDs, vinyl and of course the digital format in the last five years.

A couple of years ago I decided that I need to find THE BEST way to store all these value pieces of music history.

The conclusion I came is to take all my CDs, records and tapes, and convert them into the MP3 format (to match them with the MP3 files I already had). Then, once all the media was in the same format, burn them all to MP3 discs, so that way I can store all the beautiful music much easier.

HOWEVER!!!!

Then I heard an "ongoing history of new music" episode where Alan Cross was talking about a study that was recently completed that came to a disturbing conclusion (for me) ..............

The study concluded that:

"burnt" CDs last about 2 years
"industry manufactuered" CDs last about 10 years
"cassettes" last about 100 years (but sound like ass)
"vinyl" lasts indefinitely

And that made me realize, my portable harddirve could take a shit at anytime, and my burnt CDs might not work in 2008.

What a bummer.

Anyone else facing this issue, and what have you done to protect your collection?
 
Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Panday

TRIBE Member
i've ripped everything and i store it all on my external harddrive (I spin Serato, so it's convenient times two!). I also store all that shit on the internal HD of one of my comps. And my best friend has all of my music on his external, and I've got his.

hopefully three backups will do the trick :p
 

Syntax Error

Well-Known TRIBEr
The best approach is store your music in more than one place. Hard drives do crap out eventually. Multiple hardrives solves the problem pretty well. If you're really serious you could invest in a multiple drive enclosure that supports RAID so even if one drive dies the data will not be lost. I call bullshit on the 2 year lifespan of burnt CDs. Cheap CDs maybe but quality ones will last a fuck of a lot longer.

I would also recommend against converting everything to mp3 if you plan on keeping it forever. Go with a lossless codec such as FLAC or even straight WAVs if you have the storage space.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Panday

TRIBE Member
Syntax Error said:
The best approach is store your music in more than one place. Hard drives do crap out eventually. Multiple hardrives solves the problem pretty well. If you're really serious you could invest in a multiple drive enclosure that supports RAID so even if one drive dies the data will not be lost. I call bullshit on the 2 year lifespan of burnt CDs. Cheap CDs maybe but quality ones will last a fuck of a lot longer.

I would also recommend against converting everything to mp3 if you plan on keeping it forever. Go with a lossless codec such as FLAC or even straight WAVs if you have the storage space.

I agree on the BSness of a 2year lifespan, fo sho!

i've got generic enough Maxell CD's i burned in 1999 playing in my car. keep em safe and they'll play fine! what the problem is!?
 

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
burned cd's can last longer then 2 years... there are was in interesting article on this that i believe was posted on here several months back.. something about the quality of the CDs and type affecting their lifespan

I'm just going to get an external hard drive and save everything on there. even if stops working you can always pay the cash to get all the data back
 

oh toro

TRIBE Member
i have a 1TB RAID 1+0 mirror attached to an old dual-G4 box running os x server 10.4.x where i store both AIFF and mp3 versions of cds i've bought. i automated the ripping process through various applescripts. the mp3s are stored and accessible via itunes (which is running and being shared). i also use this same server to run retrospect (backups of my laptops and desktops) and for file serving.
 
Last edited:

littlejon

TRIBE Member
yes, i find that old shit-hole cpus that have no real purpose in life are perfect places to stuff an extra hard drive or two.

i lost all my digital music once, and i have never gotten over the tragedy.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
if you must, back up your mp3s to a dvd-rom - about 4 gigs of mp3s per disk. about 50c per disk. good deal. even if it just lasts '2 years' you can transfer it to the next medium of choice in 2 years and its safe from hard drive failures. its a decent form of data backup which solved the problems of magnetic media.

My music library to date: well over 100gb (despite losing my whole collection a couple years back - including the backup drive!)technics1200
 

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
I've got CD-R's from 1998 that still play. I've got pressed CD's from the 80's that still play. Making mp3's from your CD's is okay for usability, but with any compression you still lose quality.

What I do is make a CD-R copy of a pressed CD, and lock them away in binders. I find that I can fill up a HD too fast, and its more common to have problems with HD's than my method. I do (or should do) likewise with all my digital pics, print them out, cause your computer can lose them very easily and you only have yourself to blame.
 

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Rajio said:
if you must, back up your mp3s to a dvd-rom - about 4 gigs of mp3s per disk. about 50c per disk. good deal. even if it just lasts '2 years' you can transfer it to the next medium of choice in 2 years and its safe from hard drive failures. its a decent form of data backup which solved the problems of magnetic media.

My music library to date: well over 100gb (despite losing my whole collection a couple years back - including the backup drive!)technics1200

I got really burnt on this!

I did exactly what you described but started getting CRC errors after only 18months and lost several disks worth of info.

I'd go with the RAID storage sollutions as described by others above.
 

kuba

TRIBE Member
case sensitive said:
Okay so collecting music has been a bit of an obession of mine over the last 12 years. Tapes, CDs, vinyl and of course the digital format in the last five years.

A couple of years ago I decided that I need to find THE BEST way to store all these value pieces of music history.

The conclusion I came is to take all my CDs, records and tapes, and convert them into the MP3 format (to match them with the MP3 files I already had). Then, once all the media was in the same format, burn them all to MP3 discs, so that way I can store all the beautiful music much easier.

HOWEVER!!!!

Then I heard an "ongoing history of new music" episode where Alan Cross was talking about a study that was recently completed that came to a disturbing conclusion (for me) ..............

The study concluded that:

"burnt" CDs last about 2 years
"industry manufactuered" CDs last about 10 years
"cassettes" last about 100 years (but sound like ass)
"vinyl" lasts indefinitely

And that made me realize, my portable harddirve could take a shit at anytime, and my burnt CDs might not work in 2008.

What a bummer.

Anyone else facing this issue, and what have you done to protect your collection?
what percentage of your music do you listen to on an ongoing basis? can't you simply back everything up on hard drive, and then, get an MP3 player? OR- simply burn what you want, when you want it?
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

case sensitive

TRIBE Member
Some great suggestions here, thanks a lot to those who responded. I'm going to look into these "multi-drive enclosures" because I've never heard of them before, but they sound just right.

As for the life span of CDs.........yes I have burnt CDs that are five years old that still work, and Manufactured CDs that are much older too. The study, much like every study, probably took an average. And I agree with Evan who pointed out that the quality of the blank disc also plays a role, so I've purchased Verbatim CDs because they are supposed to be much thicker and last longer.

It's similar to the way that vinyl pressings can go horribly wrong, unfortunately not all media are created equal.
 

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
Ditto Much said:
I got really burnt on this!

I did exactly what you described but started getting CRC errors after only 18months and lost several disks worth of info.

I'd go with the RAID storage sollutions as described by others above.

ouch, really?

Somehow I cant fully trust magnetic media though.
 

Syntax Error

Well-Known TRIBEr
that's what RAID is for. even if one disk goes the data can still be recovered. if you're really paranoid use a RAID solution as well as burning optical backups.

or get a tape drive.
 
Top