• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Murat Tore Me A New......

Robb G

TRIBE Promoter
ASSHOLE!

I couldn't ask for anything more.

-Dirty bangin' techno.
-Sampling himself on the fly with a Cycloops.
-Teases of "This is Acid", "Nights....Jaguar" and "PE #1" all backed with the sickest 808 beats.

I almost headbutted him at one point.

ok...so a little work on transition from the opening DJ wouldn't hurt but within 3 minutes the bad transition didn't matter. I listened to PE #1 before heading out purely because that twisted mofo used to do the dopest mix with it 10 years ago and then he pulls that slamming version of it tonight......damn

Ninjetta

TRIBE Member
oh. my. gosh. I was also torn a new one. It was sooooo good to finally hear some dirty banging techno at a club as opposed to on my old cassettes that have a tendency to disintegrate becuz they've been played too much.

Kenny Glasgow got me warmed up and moving around and prepared me for the onslaught that was to come....

Excellent venue choice to bring Murat back in my opinion. Kept it nice, small and intimate. Nice to see some old school faces out again....crawling outta the woodwork as they were :)

Vibe was tight, people were totally feeling the music, it was quite infectious actually.

I also found the sound levels to be perfect. I felt totally engulfed with music yet I could hear my friends without straining.

To anyone I may have trampled up front and center I apologize sincerely but my body had a mind of its own so to speak......duhty pounding techno has the tendency to do that to me. :D

I woulda loved to have stayed for the entirety of the final set, as it was also sounding sweet to me, but alas two consecutive late nites were taking their toll.

Thank heavens for the return of Murat.....may this only be the first of many more visits. *bows down*

patri©k

TRIBE Member
wow.

just got up... and my legs are fucking killing me! :D Great night at Footwork! Arrived at about 10:20pm and left shortly after 4am.

Kenny opened up with some great tunes. Murat stepped up and IMMEDIATELY CRANKED UP THE SPICE! Mario J continued with some seriously funked out rythyms.

Lots of dancing... lots of yelling... lots of smoking... and lots of fun.

Great seeing everyone out, nice chatting with everyone, thanks for saying 'hi'.

Joel, you always seem to amaze me with your kindness.

Rob, Derek, Destro... fellow soldiers... thanks for the energy contributions!

A.D.D... thanks for bringing Murat in... it was a blast.

5/5.

ps. whuuuuuuuuuut goes up..... MUST COME DOWN!

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
WeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
I walked out of Footwork feeling like a 17 year-old on crack. THEMS WAS SOME CRAZY OLD SCHOOL TECHNO BEATS YO.

Great crowd -- it totally felt like a time warp. I felt like I'd walked into Industry... I can still hear my friend saying, "I can't believe you just called us 'older'." I called my roommate and left him a 20 second taste of the insanity Murat was subjecting us to.

I'm not sure what else to say. Perfect night by all accounts - great peeps, great vibe, wicked wicked beats from all involved. Kenny G opened er' up nice n smooth like. Mario J makes me so happy!! surprisingly good sound (considering my proximity to the speakers, my ears left remarkably unscathed) and my legs held out until almost 3:45... which is earlier than I would have liked, but late enough for little 'ol sober me... :(

I wonder if my roommate saved that message.
OR IF SOMEONE RECORDED THAT.
one for the ages, bitches.
Thanks ADD, AFE, Fooooootwork.

NB this review seems a little dumb. me thinks Murat damaged my brain.
pps - thanks to all those who took the smoking outside. the dancefloor was nicely smoke-free for the most part. much obliged.
ppps - and there was a delightful draft coming from the back door. kept the front nice and cool.
crack to you all. ch33se

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

lonemale

TRIBE Member
for whoever missed this - too bad.

that was techno. jazz, house, whatever you call it. that was it. the fleeting moment was captured there for a moment.

it was like using a ouiji board to summon the sprits of techno past - and the whole fucking graveyard came to life...

sentence

TRIBE Promoter
wow..

while i don't usually post about our own events cause alex says its lame ;) , i can't resist this time around. murat is mad. the 909, the live sampling.. holy shit that was fun. at one point, one of the bars was out of change, the door girl was out of 5's, coat check needed quarters, the bars were running low on glassware and heineken and i somehow ended up on the dancefloor stomping my feet instead of sorting that stuff out! it was like murat was subconsciously motivating me... "fuck that work shit joel, there's some serious bizness going on here!". voices in my head i swear it! there was certainly some nostalgia in the air last night courtesy of mario, murat and kenny. speaking of kenny, i won the bet as to what time he would arrive for his 10pm start time (i guessed 10:24, first record dropped at 10:23!) - steph, pay up! still on the topic of kenny, i thought he played a great warm up set.. really good to hear him playing some techno records again.

i really have nothing but good things to say about last night so i'll stop carrying on now. it's a pleasure to work with the afe society crew (mario, eva, terence, nitin) and we look forward to many more! (solvent next month!!).

now i bid tribe adieu as i'm off to the st. lawrence flea market! i desperately need an cool umbrella holder for my front hall.

ez,
joel @ fw

ps. happy birthday to patrick who lived up to his techno soldier reputation last night, owning the dancefloor territory in front of the left speaker stack from start to finish! see ya thursday?

:O :eek: :O :eek: :O :eek: :O :eek: :O

gasper

TRIBE Member
Slamming techno and a great people party. A little constricted on the dancefloor, but the enthusiasm and smiles made up for lost space. Saw some folks I haven't seen in many years, some regulars, and met a really friendly Tribe lurker.

Left wearing my old man hat and coat but feeling young ;)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

i_o

TRIBE Member
I indeed did not expect to hear industrial techno in 1)AD/D party 2)in footwork. I'm not originally from Toronto, so I had no idea who Murat is :))

It end up being pure 1997-98 145 bpm old school techno.. well mixed.. Crowd really was up to it. And Murat himself was really enjoying the process and was quite passionate about the music he played.

Impressive.

but:
that fader thing - it was just wrong. :))))
sound ? well... u know.. I wish ppl could hear some industrial techno in old system or something. Too bad, but system is now top 40 club. :-/
finally: I just wasn't feeling it. If in 97 I listened to techno - I may felt nostalgia yesterday or something. But in 97 I listened to Hype and Zink. So no - I didn't have any nostalgia yesterday.. At all.)
In fact, I ran away from the footwork after an hr of this old school. :))

However - It is still quite unusual to hear industrial techno in Toronto. So thank you AD/D for this wonderful history lesson. (no sarcasm) Mostly people really enjoyed it. :)

Bean

TRIBE Member
wow! it's good to read that this night was off.the.hook. ! :)

a big zut to the zut for missing this.

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
sentence said:
at one point, one of the bars was out of change, the door girl was out of 5's, coat check needed quarters, the bars were running low on glassware and heineken and i somehow ended up on the dancefloor stomping my feet instead of sorting that stuff out! it was like murat was subconsciously motivating me... "fuck that work shit joel, there's some serious bizness going on here!". voices in my head i swear it!
Isn't that what Steph is for?? He's so good at the "doing stuff" part...
:rolleyes:

Techno_Lord

TRIBE Member
Off the hook Techno except for the brakes at the end of his set, I hate fucking brakes.

It almost felt like industry but getting pushed out of the way every 5 seconds quickly reminded me I was at foot works. :confused:

Ninjetta

TRIBE Member
Techno_Lord said:
Off the hook Techno except for the brakes at the end of his set, I hate fucking brakes.

It almost felt like industry but getting pushed out of the way every 5 seconds quickly reminded me I was at foot works. :confused:

wasn't that technically electro at the end? (tho i dont claim to be knowledgable at all :p )

Destro Sanchez

TRIBE Member
ya, some AUX88(or someone from direct beat) at the end there...technically it is 'brake'beat as tha Lord claims. Some fine breakbeats IMO ;)

Best ever 3 track n jackin mix with no headphones used

('cept the odd glitch and dead air parts)

Did he play ANY records?? It was like 3 decks and a 909, not too heavy on the EFX BS too. Except replace the 3 decks with a laptop...

Patrick is true soldier rockin up front there. Derek probably caught a few of my 'bos that night. Party was really livin'.

2 beers and water, pretty good for me!

He's still rockin the D hat. :)

Destro

derek

TRIBE Member
haha..just one 'bo. i've developed a 6th sense around you, and can generally anticpate an impending 'bo to the chest.

great party, great music, great people. met a few really cool new peeps and headed over to 388 with them after for some more fun. good times.

Barrie Breaker

TRIBE Member
HAHAHA!

awesome night!
I was already on a high from watching Toronto Rock lay down an overtime-comeback win over Philly and then unknowingly got thrown in a cab for this event.

I don't go out much anymore but was advised by Robb G that i was being taken to something I would definitely enjoy but he wouldn't tell me what. I truly had heard nothing about the night before we got there.

I feel like i went back in time to my high(er) school days when Robb & i would follow Murat around to the shadiest venues to hear that banging sound.

Thank you for an awesome night. I had very little energy left when i got there but had the widest smile on all night.

PB

teknophreak

TRIBE Member
soundz like it was a real tight jam that I knew I missed:(
nice to hear that Murat played I have still to catch his ass some time, its only been like 8yrs.
if I attended this i probably would've had my techno fill for many months to come and also some blisters from all that dancin'.
At least I don't feel to bad I was the only one who couldn't attend.
Glad to hear you all who attended had a AWESOME time listening to some old dirty tech and then some:D

Anushka ;)

Taro

TRIBE Member
aight...it's been ages now and I still haven't written a review.

Wicked beats for sure. Kenny openned up the night nicely - almost a little too chill for the upcoming onslaught. Still, kept the groove going..

Murat - brought it large. Pulsing beats with an upfront attitude. In proper Murat fashion, he was changing up tunes like it was second nature - although with Ableton it kinda is. Still, working it between Abelton and the 909 was a sonic treat. I had a blast yelling with Robb (and friend - sorry can't remember your name), front row centre for nearly the entire set. It was wicked. Danced a lot. Unfortunately I had to leave before he finished so I missed the ending of his set (which is a shame).

much respect to the crew (AFX?) for bringing this aging soldier back.