• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Mtv in TO?

kick

TRIBE Member
I just walked past the CTV building at Young & Davenport...

The CTV sign is gone and there's a big Mtv sign in it's place

I presume this has something to do with those ambiguous Mtv commercials that are playing on CTV right now.

anyone know, or care, what the deal is?

Persephone

TRIBE Member
I noticed those commercials too. The drought one with the woman licking the water out of her dishwasher is absolutely nasty, but it catches my eye. Effective marketing I guess...

I did see a news story about MTV Canada about a month ago. All I know is that its coming to Canada, no idea when/where/why/how etc...

Lil'Timmy

TRIBE Promoter
MTV canada starts at the end of March
It's taking over the TALK TV channel on the dial
there's been shitloads of controversy over this as CHUM/MUCH aren't none to pleased about this

MTV Canada has promised a lot of canadian programming to go with CRTC regulations on the matter, like I said, the license was for Talk TV, not MTV so it'll be interesting to see what they do with it

Oh yeah and ask Mutslaster too

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Amy_J

TRIBE Member
Tat commercial of the chick licking the dirty ass dishwasher water made me puke, literally. I don't normally have a weak stomach, but I was eating tomato soup at the time...not impressed and really don't give a shit about Mtv. We already have the doofuses on Much, what the hell do we need more doofuses on Mtv for?

Persephone

TRIBE Member
I saw the story on etalk daily, come to think of it. Good ol' Ben Mulroney was interviewing someone there at the site while they were redesigning the interior. It was very hush hush, no discussion on the location or what to expect.

Yes, I watch etalk daily. But, in my defense, I don't have cable and only get 2 english channels in Ottawa and it seems to be the only thing on TV when I'm eating dinner.

beaker

TRIBE Member
Amy_J said:
Tat commercial of the chick licking the dirty ass dishwasher water made me puke, literally. I don't normally have a weak stomach, but I was eating tomato soup at the time...not impressed and really don't give a shit about Mtv. We already have the doofuses on Much, what the hell do we need more doofuses on Mtv for?
i believe it's a different target market (older age bracket aka. us). so hopefully less doofuses.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
agentRC4 said:
MTV Canada was around for a while but eventually folded last year I believe.

It was bought by CHUM and turned into Razr.....

So now CTV wants a shot at MTV Canada?

I wonder how long till they re-brand it as "Blayd TV" or something equally lame.

Hipsterave

TRIBE Promoter
My cousin has a show called "Blowing Up" with Jamie Kennedy that starts in May in the US on MTV. I covertly saw some footage from it and it looks serious and is really funny. The first episode alone had guest appearances from Method man, cypress hill, the entire wu-tang clan in thier lair, Ice-t, Bob Saget and Brian Austin green(of 90210 fame). Its a really great show where the premise is Jamie and my cousin Stu are trying to start a rap act and blow up so they go around getting advice from stars. I think this could be Stu's breakthrough to mainstream attention. He is seriously talented and has great potential but hasnt hit that right role. Here he is himself so its perfect as he is naturally funny. Cant wait for it to air.

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
Masonic has no relevance to the new generations.
those likely to watch MTV.ca probably never saw Mike Bullard, and definately never partied in that building. I hope MTV canada gives Much a run for the money. They need a big time wake up call at that shithole.

Someone needs to kill Devon Shithead. Has that guy come out of the closet?

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
The Tesseract said:
Someone needs to kill Devon Shithead. Has that guy come out of the closet?
It needs to pick a gender first.

And I absolutely agree re:Much. CHUM got nice and comfortable being the only game in town, and over the past five or six years, has basically bit MTV's style (all shows, no music) and hard...All the way down to this cheap Real World ripoff they're calling the VJ Search.

kmac

TRIBE Member
I think it's funny that CHUM thought they dealt with this beast, and then booya! My bro got a contract gig with them and his buddy works there too so I'm rooting for it. Plus I fucking love the Real World.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
Flashy_McFlash said:
It needs to pick a gender first.
I'm pretty sure it has chosen Male. the Leather Biker Jacket and Silk Scarf he had on the other day... it said... ummm i believe the french say it
"Qu est-ce que fourtrer?"

Ms. Fit

TRIBE Member
i'm really rooting for MTV Canada, those much music tryhards need a reality check (and a healthy dose of humblepie).