• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

MSTRKRFT @ The Social

tobywan

TRIBE Member
Last minute decision led me back downtown late last night to check this out (after some pizza, and a shower to wash cherry beach off me...), and it was well worth it.

Walked right into the place (no cover/etc), and lots of pretty people were scattered about. MSTRKRFT were just coming on as I got in, and they proceeded to play exactly what I was hoping for...grimey, electro-rock that had people shakin' their asses all over the place. Can't believe they dropped one of my favs right off the bat (Solid Groove & Sinden - Red Hot), and I *heart* pretty girls who appreciate this kind of music...and there were plenty in attendance. They played a short set (only a little over an hour), but that was more than enough for me, I just wanted to see these guys play for once! Nice, quick sunday night out...oh, and nice to see some other 'tribers' show up outta nowhere, lol

p.s. they didn't get 'ravey' as others had mentioned about their 99 Sudbury set, but could've just been the venue/night...

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Chubbs

TRIBE Member
I was really messy. Got there just before last call... I think.

I cant really even remember much. As Toby said MSTRKRFT played a very different set from their last one at Sudbury. Nothing too over the top musically, just solid electro tunage, I definatly enjoyed this set more, and it fit well with the venue. Danced the whole time, but really lost my shit when they dropped The Smiths - This Charming Man out of nowhere.

I think Pete thinks I'm crazy. Then again, I think I'm crazy today too...

Ugh. baconpan!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

the Doctor

TRIBE Member
tobywan said:
Last minute decision led me back downtown late last night to check this out (after some pizza, and a shower to wash cherry beach off me...), and it was well worth it.

You went out after Cherry Beach? Was it the tunes on the way home that inspired you ;)

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
I was only there for one drink, but I had a good time. Didn't even know MSTRKRFT was playing until I got there, which was a pleasent surprise. The place was filled with hipsters, but hipster girls are certainly easy on the eyes.

kate

TRIBE Member
I had a great time but I was there with my 5 favourite girlfriends so how couldn't I?

Music was great, crowd was great...I stayed till about 1:30 and then realized I'd probably drank my boyfriend's entire bar tab and then some and had to go home b/c i had to be at work in less than 7 hours.

PS: WTF are hipsters? People who don't dress like dirtbags?

race

TRIBE Member
social = hipster bar

kate said:
PS: WTF are hipsters? People who don't dress like dirtbags?

no... i think hipsters can definitely be dirt bags.
more specifically i think hipsters are basically fashion victims

anyone who is not a raver, or anyone not waering baggy jeans and a "funny slogan" t-shirt = hipster

atleast on tribe.

see also: anyone who makes the boring compu-nerd whiteys here feel even remotely insecure or self conscious about their own dated appearance = hipster.

the guys who doth protest too much will say "the people who spend time trying to put together hipster outfits" as if the tribe board doesn't have some (awful) dress code of its own. A baggy checkered shirt does not a gentleman make.

if you dont like it, stay in your weird club-district hood -- don't cross bathurst if you are gunna get your point zero knickers in a knot!

ps -- kate i didn't see you, but i was there! odd! i had fun.

Last edited:

kate

TRIBE Member
Dam That SnarkEE Kid said:
anyone who is not a raver, or anyone not waering baggy jeans and a "funny slogan" t-shirt = hipster

atleast on tribe.

see also: anyone who makes the boring compu-nerd whiteys here feel even remotely insecure or self conscious about their own dated appearance = hipster.

the guys who doth protest too much will say "the people who spend time trying to put together hipster outfits" as if the tribe board doesn't have some (awful) dress code of its own. A baggy checkered shirt does not a gentleman make.

if you dont like it, stay in your weird club-district hood -- don't cross bathurst if you are gunna get your point zero knickers in a knot!

ps -- kate i didn't see you, but i was there! odd! i had fun.

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Hal-9000

TRIBE Member
Dam That SnarkEE Kid said:
see also: anyone who makes the boring compu-nerd whiteys here feel even remotely insecure or self conscious .

i noticed you have this tendencey to throw out 'whitey' when disparaging this board or who you assume to be boring, what gives?

99Boobs

TRIBE Member
why is everyone on here so obsessed with classifying music, people, whatever?!

gives a hole new meaning to the term label-whore!

dressing a certain way can be an expression of many things, vintage clothing in particular can give you a way to express yourself and create your own style without being ripped off by high-street shops.. granted some do it better than others..:eek:

variety is the spice of life.. would be boring if we were all the same..

so! :p..!

erika

TRIBE Member
Yes. Enough with the boxes already, be they musical or clothing-related. Why do people have to be/appear to be/listen to "one" thing? Sounds kinda like bad religion to me.

tobywan

TRIBE Member
erika said:
Yes. Enough with the boxes already, be they musical or clothing-related. Why do people have to be/appear to be/listen to "one" thing? Sounds kinda like bad religion to me.

First post, and you're already diggin' in the trenches...awesome.

welcome to TRIBE erika:)