• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Mr. V and LLV?

cjaxx

TRIBE Member
For the most part, I loved it.

A great venue but with a gross yob entertainment district crowd, practically outnumbering the heads 10 to 1 (even more?)... and so much for the smoking ban when the club provides ashtrays everywhere (like everyone had the club's blessing :eek: ).

Mr. V was fun doing his live PA thing, i like his tracks quite a bit. He had to beg for some love though. He ended with a bit of Da Bump, left and then Vega played the track. Love that track, but I found it outgrows its welcome pretty quick...

Vega was ace. Rich, deep and sophisticated music as expected. A true pro. I found he took a while getting warmed up, in his more percussive/no melodics mode, but he got better and better as the night wore on, IMO. We got treated to some classic MAW tracks, some classic house, even a sharp and clean techy stretch, all interspersed with afro-latin goodness.

Haven't had such a good time dancing since Claussell at Boa (back in December?)

SmoothOperator

TRIBE Member
cjaxx said:
For the most part, I loved it.

A great venue but with a gross yob entertainment district crowd, practically outnumbering the heads 10 to 1 (even more?)
My thoughts exactly. Music was tight, but the majortiy of the crowd were idiots. Some people just have ZERO dancefloor etiquette.

dvs

TRIBE Promoter
crowd was def. 'mixed' (as expected at til) but fun nonetheless if you were there with the proper intentions... to soak up the house goodness and dance ...i know i did! ;) goodtimes.

d

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Big Boss

TRIBE Promoter
Vega was really good this time out. I had a lot of fun. Great to hear most of the MAW classics as it brought back a lot of memories, and also seemed kinda surreal. He played a lot of stuff from Quentin Harris too. My highlight of the night was hearing Joi Cardwell- What it feels like (Quentin Harris Main Mix). Lovin' that track.

dvs

TRIBE Promoter
i also thought dropping 'gimme that music' - (p&t/83 west) feat. 'lady' alma horton was a nice nod to the locals by mr. vega (their last real hit together as a production duo)

d

Gfunkdiva

TRIBE Member
Wow, this was one of the best times I have out in a club ever! My whole crew was in a happy dancy vibe, and LLV and Mr. V did not disappoint. Mr. V played some great soulful ethnic stuff to get us warmed up, and it was great when he got on the mic. I talked to him for a while afterwards and he was genuinely happy to be here and loved the Toronto crowd and just had good energy and love to spare. A general all-around nice guy.

LLV provided an absolutely lovely smooth soulful journey that brought the funk, disco, hiphop, some classic MAW/India tunes, some bumpy gospel house, lots of latin groove and mixed it all flawlessly and magically together.

It seemed like most of the drunk morons left about 3am which left the dancefloor blissfully open and full of true music fans and we just got the groove going. Lots of happy, smiling faces and people were truly into the spiritual vibe.

Only complaint was that Mr. V said they'd play until at least 8 if ppl were dancing, but lights came on and everybody was shoved out the door promptly at 5. The party easily could have kept going til at least 7 if they'd let us. And the extra attitude from the bouncers 'protecting' the DJ booth was a bit much - c'mon, we can't even give a shout-out to LLV and thank him for a good time? I get that the staff wants to go home, but I think it's unnecessary to end a happy positive evening with such aggression.

I danced til my legs hurt though, and we continued to dance to LLV mixes back at my friend's pad til about 10am... the spiritual trippy transcendent vibe he left us just won't go away!

LLV is added to my list of DJs to NEVER miss anytime he's in town. I just can't get enough of that deep soulful spiritual house!!:D

octo

TRIBE Member
LLV never disappoints.

he's an icon for sure.
i'm going play a bunch of MAW records before i go out tonight

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

deevah

TRIBE Member
we gonna do the song
that you never heard before
that you never tried before
that you never felt before

I can't remember which tracked we walked into but it was killer right from the start - i do remember the 2nd track was Mr. V dropping Fish Go Deep - cure & the cause

there was a helluva lot of body shakin' going on

Mr. V certainly spit out some hot fire for our stinking asses and to see him get his groove on out on the dancefloor was just awesome

LLV - what can i say about this man that has never been said before? He always gets me moving. He went real dark and trippy in the middle of his set, like he was testing the crowd. Slipped in Ame - Rej (is EVERYONE playing this track?!?!?). Some haunting melodies, definitely very surreal. Lots of piano solos, percussive rhythms. R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

i got there too late to hear nathan's set - sorry dood!

As for the drunk aggros or the non-heads - look where the club is - there's bound to be this demographic. Even System had this crew. Just bide your time until they leave and hope that a few get converted. You can't deny somone an education. :)

Thanks to TIL & crew for putting together a great nite

cjaxx

TRIBE Member
deevah said:
He went real dark and trippy in the middle of his set, like he was testing the crowd. Slipped in Ame - Rej (is EVERYONE playing this track?!?!?). Some haunting melodies, definitely very surreal.
I loved that whole tangent. Does anyone know the track after Rej, with the french vocals? Thought that was cool too. And then that trippy version of Rodamaal's Insomnia is quite good.

Moloko's Forever More (sorry, don't know the mix name) is on MAW's latest Soul Heaven.

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
It was incredible to *watch* non-heads all of a sudden "get it". Deep, souful, uplifting, beautiful music soaking the dancefloor all night long... LLV is and always will be the king. Great night, had to tear myself away early unfortunately but it was just the right amount of soul food to tide me over until next time...

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Skipper

TRIBE Member
deevah said:
He went real dark and trippy in the middle of his set, like he was testing the crowd. Slipped in Ame - Rej (is EVERYONE playing this track?!?!?).

Are you serious? LLV played rej? it's probably my fave track right now
(and yes, everyone is playing it including Garnier - yay!)

deevah

TRIBE Member
Skipper said:
Are you serious? LLV played rej? it's probably my fave track right now
(and yes, everyone is playing it including Garnier - yay!)

he went real deep dark tech - it was twisted, i liked it - i think you woulda too :)

there were some other tech tracks i recognized but have now forgotten too. For a good 45 min, he strayed off the beaten path. Helped drive out the super drunk aggro crew too

tobywan

TRIBE Member
Solid night out yet again, nice to walk into the joint to hear Mr. Barato throwin' down, I really dig his style...mos def becoming one of my fav locals. First Mr.V came on and warmed things up, LLV came on and started off deep n' jazzy, as as Rude said, it was cool to see people "get it" after a while...;)

I really dug the mini-live p.a. as Mr.V got on the mic and started to do his thing, especially him doin' 'Da Bump' live, such a solid tune...

Couldn't stay TOO late into the night, but it was perfect for what it was.