• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

MPEG files and PAL & NTSC issues

starr

TRIBE Member
Hi all....just wondering if viewing an MPEG file that being projected on a presentation screen, does NTSC and PAL compatibility come into play at all?

I think no. But just want to check what others think.

If I'm missing information in my question, or if it doesn't make sense please let me know and I'll try to elaborate.

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
It depends on what you're playing it on. If your source (laptop, VCR/DVD Player, etc) doesn't accept PAL, it's not going to work.

If it looks okay on the source (i.e a laptop screen) then using it on a projector won't affect that at all.

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
It does not come into play at all... I have yet to come accross one that did not play (providing I had the correct codecs)..

Jay

starr

TRIBE Member
Flashy_McFlash said:
It depends on what you're playing it on. If your source (laptop, VCR/DVD Player, etc) doesn't accept PAL, it's not going to work.

If it looks okay on the source (i.e a laptop screen) then using it on a projector won't affect that at all.
As far as I understand it, PAL and NTSC don't affect computers/laptops really. And the hope is that they'd hook up the computer/laptops straight to the projector technology.

edit: yay xtcfreak, i didn't factor in the codecs....i should probably just call our tech people about this. thanks.

d.code

TRIBE Member
This only effects TV's, Projectors that run actual film and thats about it.

I think HD is the same over there as it is here.

Your computers codecs should automatically recognize the format.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

billy

TRIBE Member
i could be wrong, but i believe since it's been converted to an MPEG, the original video format of NTSC or PAL wouldn't be a factor anymore. if you can view it fine as an MPEG you should be set.

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
billy said:
i could be wrong, but i believe since it's been converted to an MPEG, the original video format of NTSC or PAL wouldn't be a factor anymore. if you can view it fine as an MPEG you should be set.
exactly.

Jay