• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

MPEG-4 whoes. Help with Editing or Converting please!

The Peej

TRIBE Member
So, the guy at Future shop had a fast tongue. And I had a phat wad of bills in my pocket. The Sony Cyber Shot DSC-M1 looked soooo sexy that I HAD to buy it.

Now I've got a BUTTLOAD of video on my hardrive and nooo freakin' way to play with ANY of it!

A friend of mine brought over an antiquated iMac to my house so I could *ahem* Edit my video that I'm making to apply to a graphic design program. What a fucking nightmare!! I spent a weekend cursing at Final Cut Pro and iMovie whilst simultaneously kicking myself in the ass for not realising that "MPEG-4 is awesome, it's got a better compression rate, it's just that most movie editing software hasn't caught up to it on the PC yet" really meant "your fucked buddy!". I would REALLY like to be able to convert to AVI or some other PC friendly format so I can use Adobe Premiere in the comfort of my own home on my PC while still getting to keep my sexy sony.

I've heard that Quicktime Pro has MPEG-4 converting abilities. But I've also heard Quicktime pro sucks unwashed horse balls on PC.

Does anyone in the wonderfull world of Tribe have any experience USEFULLY converting MPEG-4's into ANYTHING that can be edited !?

I say usefully because that old Mac did pretend to convert the files. In a painfully paintronizing way. ( estimated time remaining 21 hours )

After a weeks worth of work, I've got a grainy, choppy, terribly timed piece of shit of a late application video.

HEEEEEEEELP!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you thank you thank you in advance!

-P33J

Rataxès

TRIBE Member
The Peej said:
uuugh! See! Not even Tribe knows what to do with these things!
I record in MPEG-4 all the time - it should open on almost anything - hell, even the Shitty Window's Movie Maker thing in Windows XP works with it and allows you to export in a number of WMV streamrates.

For clip editing I use Vegas which is fine for my needs. Import the MPEG-4, edit, and then save as the format of your choice.

The only hiccup I had was that my camera (a panasonic model) uses a wierd CODEC for audio so I had to hunt that down (and by 'hunt', I mean spend 2 minutes on Google).

The Peej

TRIBE Member
Rataxès said:
I record in MPEG-4 all the time - it should open on almost anything - hell, even the Shitty Window's Movie Maker thing in Windows XP works with it and allows you to export in a number of WMV streamrates.

For clip editing I use Vegas which is fine for my needs. Import the MPEG-4, edit, and then save as the format of your choice.

The only hiccup I had was that my camera (a panasonic model) uses a wierd CODEC for audio so I had to hunt that down (and by 'hunt', I mean spend 2 minutes on Google).

Vegas huh? I've heard of this program. Is that the full name? Vegas? I thought I remember someone mentioning "vegas suite"

miss riot

TRIBE Promoter
Stop stressin! You'll be fine. Why are you using a Mac in the first place if that's not what you're used to? Everything you want from your Sony you can do with Premiere which is a pretty intuitive program. Do you have the original files of the movies? What were they in .mov? I don't know this model of camera or else i'd help you. Maybe also check out http://dpreview.com It's a great resource, it might have some tips.

Quicktime sucks on both PC & Mac.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories