• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

MP3 Preference Poll: To Split or not split.

veteze

TRIBE Promoter
My next mix is just over 2 hours long... 170 megs. Do you guys prefer split in two MP3 files or one big file? I personally like one big file... But I always seem to be in the minority in my preferences for this kind of thing...

:)

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
yeah, I have a 2 hour set on my site which I kept as 1 file and I just cut it into 2 one hour sets for my own cd burning needs. a majority of downloaders are on to mp3 players or at least cd players that can play mp3s, so you wont run into too many issues with the 2 hour single mp3.

but arent you the one with all the web space to spare? if anything post the full 2 hour set and offer a special 2 part download for those who msg you specifically.

deep

TRIBE Member
There's no reason why you need to break the continuity of the mix given the methods people typically listen to MP3s. I think any one who has burned a significant number of mp3s to disc at some point has realized what a waste this is and adopted some methods of playing MP3s in the places they would normally have burned a disc e.g. the car.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

veteze

TRIBE Promoter
I was more wondering if people get all freaked out by files that large... Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep it as one. I don't know what the point of splitting em up is. Easier to download for people who have connection issues? Yeah I'm a cracker.

zoo

TRIBE Member
i definately have found that burning cds for the car is a huge waste

i've probably burned 200-300 audio cds for the car in the past 6 years, it's ridiculous ...

and yet i still haven't found a non-cd solution :/

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
Don't separate......let's keep Canada unified.....

Oh wait...that's a different issue.

TWO HOURS LONG?!?? Mikeryan?

Oh boy....you are more than ready to get slid into an opening spot somewhere at a nightclub ;)

biologik

TRIBE Member
zoo said:

i've probably burned 200-300 audio cds for the car in the past 6 years, it's ridiculous ...

Get an FM transmitter! They're wonderful!
Cheers,
Eric

deep

TRIBE Member
zoo said:

Many car decks these days have a line input right on the front panel, to connect a minijack cable from your mp3 player. Otherwise if your car deck has line outs in the back, you can just run cables from there to your glove box. There are many solutions ranging from elegant to hackjobs. I opted for one of Sony's new decks with the minijack connector right on the front and don't know why I waited this long. I didn't find the FM transmitter solution effective.

I've also seen some decks from Korea that have a USB / SD card slot on the front, so you could just pop in a memory stick / card and play off that. It'll be great to see more stateside solutions doing this.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

zoo

TRIBE Member
yeah i know what sort of solutions exist

it's more of me being

a) broke

and

b) car-less

that contribute to my lack of effort in fixing the cd player in my girlfriend's car :) (i keep trying to convince her to spend some of her NSERC money on a new deck or something but she just won't do it)