• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

mp3 player geeks, need your help.

KiFe

TRIBE Member
So my beloved ihp-120 saw the buisness end of a dogs tail send it flying off a shelf and onto a concrete floor. The hard drive no longer responds, although the gui is still working.

I'm going to try to open up then re-seat the HDD, incase it came loose, but i'm fearing the worst.

Which means, i need to replace my portable media player.

Ideally, i'd like something 20 gigs or bigger, has the ability to sync up with my digicam so that i can download my pics and clear up space on my camera should the need arise.

I'm partial to iriver, because they've been good to me, unfortuantely their website is so flash heavy, it makes browsing their wares quite a painful affair.

Any reccomendations for new players coming out, or impressions on your latest mp3/pmp aquisition would be greatly appreceated.

Thanks geek massive.

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Also, as a side note, are there any cellphones out there these days that have similar capabilities?

I wouldn't mind investing in a convergence device if it can perform two jobs well. And i'm willing to sacrifice storage space for the sake of a phone that does mp3 playback well + has a line out so that i can listen in my car.

asking too much?

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
I just got my gf the H10 20 gb, which is pretty sweet and in some ways nicer than the h120 but depending on what you use it for it might not be as good.

From what I remember...

pros:
-colour display
-can view image files such as jpg
-faster jog
-same (or better) awesome sound quality
-fm with option to record to wav/mp3
-more diverse filing system (can search by song, or artist, or title, etc.)
-crazy long lasting battery

can't remember if there's a line in or not.

cons
-not as easy to manipulate files directly on the player. Had to move things off, edit, then move back on again. Doesnt' read as a portable hd like the 120 did.
-no ogg support
-doesn't play winamp playlists like the h120, lists have to be composed in Windows Media Player 10.
-connected charger/data transfer cable, one is useless without the other.

But overall it's a pretty sweet little machine.

Anyway let me know what you end up going with, when I'm back in the market I'll be curious to know what you got.

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
My 5gb H10 only does line-in recording with the cradle. You can use winamp playlists with a program called EasyH10 (go to MisticRiver which is blocked for me at work).

Better yet, KiFe, go to MisticRiver anyway and ask about your broken player. If there's an answer out there, those mofo's will have it.

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Boss Hog said:
cons
Doesnt' read as a portable hd like the 120 did.

-doesn't play winamp playlists like the h120, lists have to be composed in Windows Media Player 10.

-connected charger/data transfer cable, one is useless without the other.

These are some pretty heavy cons! fuck! what have they done to my 120?
Maybe i should just buy an old 120 off ebay... The only thing that would make the 120 better would be camera to HDD xfers and a more svelt package...

cant xfer without the charge cable? That sucks.
Doesn't read on the pc as an external HDD.. meaning i have to use some lame GUI to get to and organize my on-player files? ACK.

i feel dirty.

Thanks for the feedback BH, i'll keep you posted.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Flashy_McFlash said:
Better yet, KiFe, go to MisticRiver anyway and ask about your broken player. If there's an answer out there, those mofo's will have it.

My google searches led me there. They said if the drive doesn't read after being re-seated into it's plug, i'm SOL. :(

Cheap Ego

TRIBE Member
yah I spent so much time convincing a co-worker to buy an iriver because of how easy it is to transfer and alter files both on screen and thru windows, only to find out that their new models don't have that kind of support. They sure don't make 'em like they used to!

If you want easy transferrability, my suggestion is to get a removable media-based mp3 player. If you have a usb card reader, it'll pretty much be just as easy as connecting the h120. Plus, with SD and mini-SD media being available in 1 and 2GB formats, you'll probably find it easier than constantly thinking about how to organize a large but still insufficient 20GB of music.

As for phones that have the above features, the only one i've found interesting is the SE w800i, which is not out yet, and will still be way more than I can afford, once it does come out - BUT, it would probably work out to near what I originally paid for my H120

KiFe

TRIBE Member
awesome infos! Thanks gang!

Now can we all please pause, a moment of silence for our fallen bredren, the ihp120 hdd.

lest we forget.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

deep

TRIBE Member
Cowon is IAudio, I have the U2 flash player and will look to this company first when buying my next player. Although I am keenly awaiting what Sigmatel has in store for the market - their DSP chips go in pretty much most of the mp3 player of note, and Sigmatel is going to start putting out their own players soon. They bought up the engineering team and intellectual property of Rio before that company went tits up - and despite their failures the engineering team really did some brilliant stuff. See the kind of fanfare that the Rio Karma still receives for a player. Expect gapless playback, FLAC support, 2x the battery time when Sigmatel unleashes their new inventions.

Last edited:

Sleepy Giant

TRIBE Member
KiFe said:
Also, as a side note, are there any cellphones out there these days that have similar capabilities?
I have the motorola e815. I just but a 1GB flash card for $30 USD + shipping off of ebay.

I'll let you know how it works out.

octo

TRIBE Member
kife: does your remote for the h120 still work? how much do you want for it? i lost mine.

i've been pluggin my 'phones directly into the player and i've noticed it's getting a bit loose.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders