• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Moving out of an appartment. Need some info

silver1

TRIBE Member
So I'm moving out of my appartment at the end of the month.

The building management has said that they are coming up to do a final inspection of the place and gave me a list of possible things I might have to pay for on my way out. (i.e. if there are holes in the wall, or damaged stuff etc.)

My question is, does anyone know where I can find info on what the landlord can and cannot charge me for?

Like there are some questionable items on said list (like cleaning of appliances. cleaning of interior windows etc.)

I have no problems paying for any kind of stuff I might have done to the place. But I don't want to get screwed paying for stuff that they're obligated to pay for and not me.

I checked the ORHT site but I couldn't really find anything there.

Anyone out there gone through this before?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
Well, if you are renting... then when you look for a place, you have to go in there with a list and inspect everything in that condo. Make a list with EVERYTHING that is wrong and have them fix it.

That's what I did, they fixed my shower, the dryer and the a/c. Now, if you accept to move in and you signed the agreement, but you failed to let them know of other things that are broken, then they will charge you for it.

Read your agreement, see what they offer you, see what they are supposed to pay for or not, talk to them. Every leasee is different and if they specified it on the piece of paper and you signed, then you are responsible.
As a tenant, you have more rights, but if you signed for something that you didn't fully understand, you may get nailed.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
I would say you should check your lease. Or in my case I live in a co-op and there are specific terms in the rental agreement about the state the unit must be left when you move out. It does include appliances, washroom etc.

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
http://www.geocities.com/torontotenants/

This is also a very good site as well, however, kep in mind that every landlord CAN modify their agreement, so it can be individual specific. The best would be to speak to your landlord and ensure you ask these questions before you sign.
Since I live in the same building you are moving in, I kind of know the rules here a little more. There is a BIG difference between renting and owning though and I have experienced both in this building.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Every apartment I've ever lived in, I've just moved out.

I've never heard of this, and I've lived in a lot of different places... inside the city and in Oakville.

Just strange if you ask me.

But when I've moved in, the first thing I do is make a list of things wrong and what they need to fix before I move in.

pr0nstar

squirrely

TRIBE Member
i don't imagine you'd be responsible for cleaning the place. i mean, within reason, sure, but it's the landlord's responsibility to make the place pretty for the next tenant.

i just moved out of an apartment, leaving behind a shitload of dustbunnies. didn't even occur to me to clean them up cuz i was leaving on super bad terms and if they make a fuss i will make a fuss right back.

sugar

TRIBE Member
We were supposed to paint over our dark green walls before moving out, but I just threw back a bunch of complaints they hadn't addressed over the years of living there, and they backed down.

It helps if they're short and you're taller.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by pr0nstar
Every apartment I've ever lived in, I've just moved out.

But when I've moved in, the first thing I do is make a list of things wrong and what they need to fix before I move in.

pr0nstar
yeah me too.

honestly, unless you gave them a deposit, you don't have to pay them shit. What are they going to do, stop you from moving?

Unless there are holes in your walls or the place is seriously filty you shouldn't have to pay a dime.

I had a landlord once try to get me to replace ALL the screens in the windows that I had already purchased in the first place because there was none when I moved in.

the worst that can happen is they'll keep your deposit (if you gave them one) and if they're going to be rediculously picky, ask them about the Cheque they owe you for interest on your last months rent.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Dude, unless you have a deposit, just leave. Landlords will hardly come after you for breaking a lease, let alone for a couple hundred bucks in "damages"

Cri

TRIBE Member
the last apartment I moved out of..they gave me a bill for $150 for crap I didn't agree with at all...especially (like everyone else said here..) bc they didn't pay attention to most of the inquiries or complaints i had.

I just didn't pay it. Nothing happened.

I guess it depends how determined they are.

diablo

TRIBE Member
They can't charge you for normal wear and tear.

They can charge you for stuff like torn carpet and holes in the walls, though.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
A perfect example is the apartment I live in now...

When I was looking at it, it needed a LOT of work.
Like, every wall was patched and painted, toilet and bathroom sink both replaced, floors refinished, etc...
And I don't think the tenant before me paid a dime.

No deposits when I've signed the lease there.. and it's the second time I've lived in the building.

If you didn't pay a deposit and it's not in your lease, just leave.

pr0nstar :D

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Just make sure you are there when they inspect, and whenever they point something out say,"That was there when I moved in."

I changed all the electrical plates and switches in our last place and kept the old ones... as soon as they started, I pulled out the old ones and said I would be glad to put them back, and also to break the kitchen light, and to have a rather large party to make the place into the dump it was when we moved in, and shit on the walls, and put an old mattress out on the balcony, etc.

You are supposed to leave it in the same condition as when you moved in....

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Ya, I just finished replacing all the Electrical Outlets and Switches myself... I don't understand how they can keep those old crud ones, that have 5 layers of paint on them ...

pr0nstar

labRat

TRIBE Member
i think the biggest thing is whether or not you put down a deposit.

if so, you may have to pay for general cleaning and any cracks/dents that need fixing. They may try to ding you for every little thing so they keep most of the deposit. Your apartment agreement should have those details.

If not, you're probably fine. As it would be quite a hassle for them to generate a bill afterwards.

Regardless, enjoy the move and your new place!

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
I don't know much about this site, but I would be wary of taking advice from a random guy who decided to make up a website about tenants' rights. There is lots of accurate, up-to-date information out there available from established community agencies or government websites (who are accountable for the information they give out).