• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

moving day law?

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
The ESA does not cover moving. Some companies provide a "Moving Day" under their own discretion as a benefit, however there is no legislation mandating an employer to provide an employee with a day off for moving.

kmac

TRIBE Member
I get one moving day a year at work, and since I'm such a vagrant I think I've taken one the last three or four years. Work is starting to get irked with this but I figure you shouldn't offer it if you don't want to carry it out.

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

Vincent Vega

TRIBE Member
kuba said:
is there a law in ontario that states you are allowed one day off for moving purposes?
Only if you're unionized.

You get one every month immediately followed by a "recuperation day." If you don't move in that month you can carry your moving days forward throughout your union career and retire a couple of months early.

*runs from Janiecakes*

Thumpr

TRIBE Member
the only moving day law on the books in Canada is the "insulting" quebecois tradition of doing it on Canada Day.

kmac

TRIBE Member
Thankfully we still have ours, but the hallways of the office ran red when they got rid of our Snow Day.

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
I didn't even know we even used to have an effing moving day! I should obviously be filing a grievance against somebody.

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
janiecakes said:
I didn't even know we even used to have an effing moving day! I should obviously be filing a grievance against somebody.
I was still a student in payroll/benefits when they ditched it. People would call us up and be all 'Hey Goober! Where's my moving day?' and we'd be all 'Tough luck, Borax."

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
joey said:
you are allowed 10 a year (personal/sick)
You're not providing very good information. Personal/sick days are at the discretion of the employer as per your employment agreement and are not covered under the ESA 2000.

If you work for a company which regularly employees more than 50 employees, you are entitled to up to 10 days per year of unpaid, job-protected, leave. This is NOT sickness or bereavement leave (however it can be used for personal injury or family deaths in some situations).

In other words, you're not entitled to shit beyond 4% of your gross pay or paid time-off in lieu as vacation. Everything else covered under the ESA is unpaid.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
Vincent Vega said:
Only if you're unionized.

You get one every month immediately followed by a "recuperation day." If you don't move in that month you can carry your moving days forward throughout your union career and retire a couple of months early.

*runs from Janiecakes*
I'm in a union we get what are called vacation days, and they can be applied to moving.. also there are "sick days" which one can use on the sly:p