• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Movies

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room
They were expecting lower, 30-35M

It's still a very low take for a movie that cost over 200 million to make - usually they'd be expecting I'd guess a 60 million dollar take for it to be seen as a success. But, as Lil Timmy was saying to me on Messenger yesterday - the streaming of the movie fucks up the usual math when it comes to determining if a movie has a successful box office opening weekend.

I'm not complaining - I'm a bit surprised.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
It's still a very low take for a movie that cost over 200 million to make - usually they'd be expecting I'd guess a 60 million dollar take for it to be seen as a success. But, as Lil Timmy was saying to me on Messenger yesterday - the streaming of the movie fucks up the usual math when it comes to determining if a movie has a successful box office opening weekend.

I'm not complaining - I'm a bit surprised.

They are probably counting in the 9" scale Spice Worm action figure sales.

41fLdBdg41L._AC_.jpg

Maybe they'll figure out a multi purpose use for it like this Alien "Bottle Opener"

(Yeah, right)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
Benedetta

Imagine a movie that plays to both Paul Verhoven's best and worst cinematic sides - taken from a book about a true story of a young nun during the 17th Century that claimed to be the wife of Christ, upended the convent she was raised in, and had a secret lesbian affair after having usurped her Mother Superior for the position of the head of the convent. That's all before the Inquisition got word of what was going on...

Fucking crazy and really good - expect the sarcasm of Robocop and Starship Troopers, the cringe of Elle and the vulgarity of Showgirls and Basic Instinct all rolled into a sushi roll of future religious outrage, once they get wind of this movie. This is NOT a movie you want to watch with your parents.

Malignant

James Wan takes a jump back from the F7 and Aquaman blockbusters and gets back to some seriously pulpy b grade 80's and 90's videostore shelf horror. It isn't scary in the least - it's more a case of wanting to figure out the twist to the movie. And, when revealed, the twist will cause you to either go with it despite the absurdity of the reveal, or completely roll your eyes and figure you'll watch the rest since you're already and hour and 15 minutes in and there's only a half hour to twenty minutes left.

I half heartedly endorse this movie - it's like the bonkers twist that Orphan provided, but stealing an idea from a very famous sci fi film of the 90's. If you liked Orphan, there's a chance you might like this.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Malignant

James Wan takes a jump back from the F7 and Aquaman blockbusters and gets back to some seriously pulpy b grade 80's and 90's videostore shelf horror. It isn't scary in the least - it's more a case of wanting to figure out the twist to the movie. And, when revealed, the twist will cause you to either go with it despite the absurdity of the reveal, or completely roll your eyes and figure you'll watch the rest since you're already and hour and 15 minutes in and there's only a half hour to twenty minutes left.

I half heartedly endorse this movie - it's like the bonkers twist that Orphan provided, but stealing an idea from a very famous sci fi film of the 90's. If you liked Orphan, there's a chance you might like this.

I thought it was great! But we're down for the genre pretty much so was refreshing and we were good with the way tropes were bent into a different shape (literally lol)

The Matrix: Resurrections is a sequel that didn't want to be made: early in the film, the writers not so subtly put in a line of dialogue that sounds very much along the lines of why the sequel did get made. The line goes something along the lines of "We were informed by our partner Warner Brothers, that they want another sequel to The Matrix - and they will go ahead with our without us." One could translate that as being a statement from Lana Wachowski, one half of the Wachowskis who previously said she had no interest in revisiting the franchise, saying to the audience: "If we didn't make this, they (Warner Bros) would have - and they would have fucked it up."

This is a pretty big departure from the other Matrix related universe - there's a self awareness to this. Moreso at some of the ridiculousness that the series spawned, which the film plays for laughs, as well through pitch meetings and brainstorming sessions parodied early in the film.

Whether this works or not is hard to say, the film mines the nostalgia from the previous three films going even as so far as to splice footage into the film itself, but at the same time decrying how reboots and reimagining properties create turgid comfort. But being a Matrix movie, paradoxes are part of the playing field; you either go with it or reject it. Plus, there's a weird obsession with aging the actors in a goofy manner.

I myself liked it - it's playing around with the ideas of the first three films and having a bit more fun with them - not taking themselves quite as seriously as the sequels did, particularly The Matrix: Revolutions. The film draws from a wider colour palate, leaving behind the ultra green filter of the previous films. Sorely missed however, is Yuen Wo Ping's action choreography and the long, unedited takes that would highlight the hand to hand fighting and gun fu. Even with a lot of that missing, I enjoyed that the film tried to do something new from a standpoint of narrative and some of the ideas it comes up with - the meta narrative worked for me, as did the reimagining some of the characters and archetypes of the previous films. And for a woman pushing her mid 50's, it's pretty amazing seeing her being able to pull off a scorpion kick. It's not perfect, it's not better than the first, but I thought it worked better than I expected.

The Ghostbusters: Afterlife movie is AWFUL.

What the hell? Because Harold Ramis is dead, they do an complete and utter character betrayal from the start AND make him unbelievably creepy and weird.

Huge waste of time, especially with the ending. As much as I like Jason Reitman, this was a terrible movie.

Everything, Everywhere, All At Once is one of the most chaotic, bizarre, gleefully absurd and probably one of the best films this year. I don't think I've ever seen something this enjoyably weird, exciting, touching and funny like this. The less you know the better. The casting has some really awesome surprises (like Ke Huy Quan - AKA Short Round from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Data from The Goonies - in the first onscreen role in decades - he's incredible in this) and the movie has a beating heart beneath all of its silliness and the kaleidoscope visuals.

Make no mistake - this will likely be one of the best of the year - there's nothing quite like this; it's incredibly original and never stops going full tilt. It's like The Matrix, Fight Club, Monty Python and The One all got together and decided to do peyote - and that's a high compliment being paid.

Top Gun: Maverick is a really good sequel, but not quite a sequel that is better than the first. But, even with that missing, you have a pretty incredibly shot and a very memorable sequel, cleverly evoking little moments that echo the original. Strong casting with Miles Teller doing a pretty convincing role as the son of Maverick's best friend and co pilot, Goose and Jon Hamm getting the heel role of the CEO that resents Maverick.

But the best parts that actually does eclipse the original are the flight sequences - they're nothing short of jaw dropping and making you constantly ask yourself "how the hell did they manage to shoot that?" with the in cockpit sequences. See this in either IMAX or D-Box - it's a great summer movie.

Bullet Train is another movie that has a lot going for it - based on a clever novel, exotic locale, some well drawn out characters with a great cast to compliment it, the director of Atomic Blonde, Deadpool 2 and co directed the first John Wick movie, but comes up less than the sum of it's parts. It's a movie that is a bit too clever for it's own good - a bit too snarky in it's tone, while it shamelessly emulates Quentin Tarantino and Guy Ritchie with the clever dialogue and unusual needle drops for music.

It's not terrible by any means - it just feels like a very elaborate knock off of Tarantino and Ritchie but with a lot more blatant contrivances to move the action set pieces along.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Bullet Train is another movie that has a lot going for it - based on a clever novel, exotic locale, some well drawn out characters with a great cast to compliment it, the director of Atomic Blonde, Deadpool 2 and co directed the first John Wick movie, but comes up less than the sum of it's parts. It's a movie that is a bit too clever for it's own good - a bit too snarky in it's tone, while it shamelessly emulates Quentin Tarantino and Guy Ritchie with the clever dialogue and unusual needle drops for music.

It's not terrible by any means - it just feels like a very elaborate knock off of Tarantino and Ritchie but with a lot more blatant contrivances to move the action set pieces along.

Sometimes when these movies go for the black humour/action combo they end up not nailing the landing with the humour and the pacing of great movies that struck a better balance like Get Shorty. So many mistakes made in movies aping that kind of schtick (including the inevitable sequel to Get Shorty).

Trailer for Bullet train reminded me of Smokin' Aces!

praktik

TRIBE Member
BTW Watched the new Jurassic Park and my low expectations given the reviews were met. There's a few new cool dinosaurs that become the only cool things about a movie that feels like its Jurassic Bourne in some sequences. The deviations from the formula felt tacked on.

Franchise needs a serious reboot with I think, a darker edge, more about escape in a park and with less other junk thrown in. Work on tension and creative tension building set pieces like what drove the first movie and maybe the not-shittiest-of-all-the-sequels The Lost World.

Sometimes when these movies go for the black humour/action combo they end up not nailing the landing with the humour and the pacing of great movies that struck a better balance like Get Shorty. So many mistakes made in movies aping that kind of schtick (including the inevitable sequel to Get Shorty).

Trailer for Bullet train reminded me of Smokin' Aces!
That's actually a really apt comparison. It's not too far a distant cousin of Smokin' Aces, and that's not exactly a compliment.