• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Movies

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
I only heard it was Fukunaga recently, for some reason - totally got me pumped for it!
He's a better fit for it than I was originally thinking.

He uses a few tricks from his past projects, particularly one from True Detective, but he's a really solid action director, and really suited for this, the 25th Bond film.

praktik

TRIBE Member
10 GB torrent of the new dune looks to be out on torrents - 5 days ahead of it's theatrical release??

Anyone dove in yet??

praktik

TRIBE Member
I wonder if it will have a floating fat guy like the last one?

Design looks way cooler this time

Baron-Harkonnen-Rising-Dune-Movie-Trailer-2.jpg

dune-1.png
\]

10 GB torrent of the new dune looks to be out on torrents - 5 days ahead of it's theatrical release??

Anyone dove in yet??
Yep. Has the same problem as Blade Runner 2049 has - Villeneuve is a bit too faithful to the source material and makes it almost mandatory to know in order to understand the film. This is not a casual viewing film - which makes me think that the odds of a sequel (part 2 to finish the story) might be slim. Even the David Lynch attempt from the 80's had a good sense to have Virginia Madsen provide a bit of narration background to give the audience an idea of what was going on.

Don't get me wrong - Villeneuve has incredible vision and the film is quite good - it really has a lot to say about colonialism - it's just a film for the fans of the source material, like Blade Runner 2049 was, and pretty alienating to anyone that hasn't followed the original movie or books.

Last edited:
That famous long ass scene in true detective is absolutely incredible
The amount of precision needed for that kind of work is mind bogglingly precise. Everyone needs to hit their marks, remember their lines and the production crew need to be completely exact with where they need to move the camera, the lighting and everything else. The rehearsals for that kind of long take (nearly 9 minutes with True Detective) must have been completely nuts. A director that can pull that off AND make it coherent to follow everything that is going on is flexing some serious talent.

The only other guy that comes to mind that could consistently pull that off was Brian de Palma, who wasn't always successful.

The amount of precision needed for that kind of work is mind bogglingly precise. Everyone needs to hit their marks, remember their lines and the production crew need to be completely exact with where they need to move the camera, the lighting and everything else. The rehearsals for that kind of long take (nearly 9 minutes with True Detective) must have been completely nuts. A director that can pull that off AND make it coherent to follow everything that is going on is flexing some serious talent.

The only other guy that comes to mind that could consistently pull that off was Brian de Palma, who wasn't always successful.
Correction on the last line - totally contradicting myself.

De Palma was a master of doing long, extended tracking shots - they just didn't always serve the movie, and were sometimes the best thing about the film (ie. Snake Eyes or Femme Fatale - incredible openings that overwhelm the rest of the movie).

praktik

TRIBE Member
Yep. Has the same problem as Blade Runner 2049 has - Villeneuve is a bit too faithful to the source material and makes it almost mandatory to know in order to understand the film. This is not a casual viewing film - which makes me think that the odds of a sequel (part 2 to finish the story) might be slim. Even the David Lynch attempt from the 80's had a good sense to have Virginia Madsen provide a bit of narration background to give the audience an idea of what was going on.

Don't get me wrong - Villeneuve has incredible vision and the film is quite good - it really has a lot to say about colonialism - it's just a film for the fans of the source material, like Blade Runner 2049 was, and pretty alienating to anyone that hasn't followed the original movie or books.

Your review makes it sound amazing to me.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Fuck was it ever long. I agree with Highsteppa's review. If you had no familiarity with Herbert or Dune you would be completely lost. I am familiar and was still lost at various times in the film. The spacecraft were amazing and some of that advanced war tech CGI was fabulous,.

djfear

TRIBE Member
Seeing Dune Thursday in the theatre so I'll wait for it then. Big fan of the books and (this is probably a contentious issue lol), I also liked the Dune 2000 mini series. Coincidentally I've been watching The Foundation as well so it's definitely space opera season.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Seeing Dune Thursday in the theatre so I'll wait for it then. Big fan of the books and (this is probably a contentious issue lol), I also liked the Dune 2000 mini series. Coincidentally I've been watching The Foundation as well so it's definitely space opera season.
Those special effects are going to look wicked on a big screen!

Copshop is Joe Carnahan's return to the big screen - a twisty, stylish crime movie with Frank Grillo, Gerard Butler, Alexis Louder and Toby Huss (from King of the Hill!!!) that's a bit of a throwback to the 70's pulp crime/action films. The casting is actually quite good, and Carnahan's direction is a steady hand, putting together a lot of scenery chewing dialogue, well choreographed action sequences and mayhem on screen. It's a pleasant time waster.

Titane was the winner at the Cannes film festival - jury headed by Spike Lee this year, as well as the winner at TIFF's Midnight Madness.

To describe this as "quite the journey" is a disservice to what is through and through French Cinema. It comes from the same studio as Gaspar Noe's last few films, NEON, so that should be some indicator/warning of what you're in for. Leave your sensibilities at the door is probably the best way to prepare for it.

Try to think of this as a French take on Boys Don't Cry, crossed over with American Psycho, with a touch of David Cronenberg body horror, driving the suspense. The last part I mention because in the first 20 minutes, our protagonist is impregnated by a Cadillac - this needs to be mentioned.

The thing is, as wild and as uncomfortable it is to watch, there's an incredibly weird and touching story of redemption at the heart of the movie that drives this film, often unexpectedly. You have to endure a remarkable amount of cringe and some pretty inventively uncomfortable moments in order to get there, which makes the story arc that much more touching and sympathetic towards characters that might initially deserve none when you first meet them.

I liked it. I'm likely never going to watch this again - but this was a pretty good movie all around and I'm glad I saw it.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Titane was the winner at the Cannes film festival - jury headed by Spike Lee this year, as well as the winner at TIFF's Midnight Madness.

To describe this as "quite the journey" is a disservice to what is through and through French Cinema. It comes from the same studio as Gaspar Noe's last few films, NEON, so that should be some indicator/warning of what you're in for. Leave your sensibilities at the door is probably the best way to prepare for it.

Try to think of this as a French take on Boys Don't Cry, crossed over with American Psycho, with a touch of David Cronenberg body horror, driving the suspense. The last part I mention because in the first 20 minutes, our protagonist is impregnated by a Cadillac - this needs to be mentioned.

The thing is, as wild and as uncomfortable it is to watch, there's an incredibly weird and touching story of redemption at the heart of the movie that drives this film, often unexpectedly. You have to endure a remarkable amount of cringe and some pretty inventively uncomfortable moments in order to get there, which makes the story arc that much more touching and sympathetic towards characters that might initially deserve none when you first meet them.

I liked it. I'm likely never going to watch this again - but this was a pretty good movie all around and I'm glad I saw it.
Ya, another nope for me. I'm not up for being stressed out beyond pg-13 at this stage in my game.