• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Movies

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Ad Astra opens up in a few weeks, if you can wait that long.
There's no SciFi on TV even! I think it is indicative of how fucked the world is when nobody sees any value in creating futuristic hope or futuristic dystopia with the sci fi genre. It is like the canary in the coal mine.

Holy crap, Joker is probably one of the best movies of the year. With the competition it's up against, that's no small claim. It is extremely timely for today's political and pop culture landscapes.

Dead serious; Joaquim Phoenix should bag a best actor nomination when awards season comes around.

DJ elektron-

TRIBE Member
The Great Mystical Circus
This film was directed and written by Caca Diegues and is a romantic drama. It centres on an aristocratic family who owned a travelling circus in the early 20th century. The format of the film is like a montage of different characters of the story. All related to the circus somehow. Visually this a great work of art, it captures the intrigue and excitement that circus performances are known for. One thing that struck me is the notion of love, and the passion that is associated with the circus can be a source for drama, heartache, grief and loss. The main character is Celavi, the master of ceremonies.

Last edited by a moderator:

formerly

Holy crap, Joker is probably one of the best movies of the year. With the competition it's up against, that's no small claim. It is extremely timely for today's political and pop culture landscapes.

Dead serious; Joaquim Phoenix should bag a best actor nomination when awards season comes around.
I've been a fan of Joaquim ever since watching him play a raging alcoholic who gets drawn into the cultish world of a writer played by Philip Seymour Hoffman in The Master.

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
True guilty pleasure ingesting edibles with some friends and catching a free screening of "Scott Pilgrim vs The World" at U of T last night. That movie really makes you appreciate living in Toronto. It's actually a lot better than several other cult films out there. :cool:

Think I'll catch J.Lo's new stripper movie "Hustlers" this weekend. LOL

DJ elektron-

TRIBE Member
Everyday a film review

This film is about a family in the UK whose father gets in trouble with the law when he is sent to prison for possessing illegal drugs. This film was directed in 2012 by Michael Winterbottom. Ian and Karen do their best to keep their relationship while he is in a detention centre. She visits him regularly, and eventually he is given a daypass in the community where they go for a meal as a family. Karen meets a man at the pub where she works, and they have a brief romance. Ian gets in trouble again in prison using drugs. Both these incidents strain their relationship. Then the day comes when Ian is released from prison and they go merrily on their way, but not before Karen confesses to Ian she cheated on him. This film won a prestigious award at the Stockholm International Film Festival. I highly recommend this film.

What Will People Say a film review

This film was produced in 2017 and directed and written by Iram Haq. It tells the story of an immigrant family that setttles in Norway after leaving Pakistan. The story is somewhat of an autobiographical reference to the director’s life. The film starts as a 16 year old Nisha is with her friends and being part of a peer group. She meets a Norwegian guy and they become interested in each other. They go dancing and one night she sneaks him into her room at her parent’s place. They are about to embrace when her Dad opens the door. This sets her father off into an angry frenzy. Then child welfare is called and the family is horribly embarassed about the whole matter. So the Dad decides to fly her and him to Pakistan to get in touch with his family values. Things don’t go very well as she has culture shock and tries desperately to reconnect to friends in Norway. Slowly she begins to appreciate the situation. Then she gets caught with another boy in a romantic interlude and her father comes back to take her to Norway. One last effort by her family is for her to be in an arranged marriage. This makes her distraught because she doesn’t even know the guy, but has great credentials. That night her father puts on a white shirt and opens the door to Nisha’s room. I think she took this as a signal that he loves her if she wants to escape this situation and she does as she runs into the night. This movie is highly emotional and challenging to watch but very much an enticing story line.

praktik

TRIBE Member
SO is it just me or does Ad Astra look like Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse now in space - some dude goes "native" and they send someone to go get him??