• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Movies

Midsommar doesn't live up to the sheer "what the fuck?"-ness of Hereditary, but it's far more densely layered and ambitious. Still a very well made, well directed movie.

Don't go in expecting a rehash of The Wicker Man - this is more about toxic relationships, breaking up and co-dependency. There's a lot more going on underneath with the symbolism and juxtaposition of images that needs your attention in order to decipher.

That being said, they could have lopped off a half hour to make this a lot more leaner. It didn't need to be nearly 2.5 hours.

DJ elektron-

TRIBE Member
Pan’s Labyrinth a film review

This film is a dark fantasy drama written and directed by Guillermo del Toro and was produced in 2006. It centres around the life of a young girl whose mother becomes a wife of a formidable figure in the community, the Captain. The storyline revolves around the theme of civil war, as the young girl Ofelia must seek out the meaning of this enchanted world she stumbles by unlocking a gate in the forest with a stone charm. The special effects used to produce the characters and effects were done by make-up, animatronics, and CGI.

In the fairy world, Ofelia is the reincarnation of Princess Moanna whose father was King of the Underworld. The labyrinth was build to act as a portal to the fairy world. The main theme for Ofelia, is to deal with both dilemma and avarice of the human world, while seeking out a deeper truth in the fairy world.Various side-themes in this movie include loyalty, betrayal, integrity in leadership, political stripes and folk lore & medicine. It ends tragically by Ofelia dying but she chose not to spill her brother’s blood, which unlocks her destiny as a Princess in the underworld. This movie is very good and great fun to watch.

The Book of Kells a film review

This animation tells the story of a book from legendary times on Iona Island. The original Book of Iona was fabled to be a masterpiece that shone wisdom onto the reader. The story features a young boy Aidan who aims to please the townsfolk including the church Abbot. One day a visitor comes to town, with the legendary Book of Iona. The Abbot is very much preoccupied in protecting the town by building a wall to keep out marauding hoardes. Aidan is tasked to seek out stinky green berries in the forest to make ink, he does this and finds a fairy in the forest named Aisling who guides him through further mystery and intrigue. The story ends with Aidan growing up and returning to the church where the Abbot expresses his fatigue. Aidan gives him the Book of Kells. This film is both a delight and a pleasure to watch.

Kedi a film review

This film is about the culture of domesticated urban cats in Istanbul, Turkey. It was produced in 2016 in a documentary style by Ceyda Torun. Time magazine chose it as one of its top ten films of 2017. Seven of the cats of Istanbul are featured in this film with each having names and a distinct character that is portrayed through the filming technique. This film required special equipment to film the cats as well as permissions to enter public and private property. There is an adoration of the feline in this port city that goes beyond the material. A kind of deep kindred understanding with the cats' connection to Earth and the Universe.

Museum a film review

This film is about the Art Museum in Jerusalem, Israel. It is a poignant reminder and uplifting conveyance of the arts. A big factor of the arts in relation to Israeli culture is the perseverance and tenacity through persecution and adversity. This film tries to show an uplifting and humanistic approach to appreciating the arts from an Israeli and also a Jewish context. Although not a place of worship, it is a gathering place for the public and VIPs to hold events. One point a critic of the film made was that it doesn’t wade into controversy at all. Although it does test the waters a little bit, by showing children doing art and developing a combined Palestinian-Israel flag, and showing Palestinians discussing the work of Edward Said, the famed photographer that sought to document the life of early America particularly the First Nations people.

Nakom a film review

This film is about a family living in a small village in Ghana, Africa. The main character is Iddrisu who is studying medicine. One day, he receives a call that his father has passed away. He must return to the village the next day. The quaint village is both a source of joy and frustration for him. He is seen as a hope for the village, and he is a good farmer too. There is a realistic sense of being there immersed in the culture in this film. It was directed by Kelly Norris and TW Pittman. The gentle spirit and brave attitude Iddrisu has when he decides to leave the village at the end of the movie to return to his studies indicates his ambition to widen his circle of care to even more people. I recommend this movie highly.

Last edited:

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
Saw THE CURE's 40th anniversary movie and thought it was the best "live concert film" I've ever seen in my life. Very few screenings on the big screen, so see it while you can at the theatres.

wickedken

TRIBE Member
Yep.

Re Top Gun it'd be cool to see the new jets but the track record of long-period sequels is not great. I can see the headlines now...

Classic 80s Sequel Crashes with Flamingly Weak Plot
No Missiles in Jet Fight Sequel from the 80s
Top Gun on Afterburners at the Box Office

Best part is when they can recycle these headlines at the next sequel.

Last edited:

praktik

TRIBE Member
Yep.

Re Top Gun it'd be cool to see the new jets but the track record of long-period sequels is not great. I can see the headlines now...

Classic 80s Sequel Crashes with Flamingly Weak Plot
No Missiles in Jet Fight Sequel from the 80s
Top Gun on Afterburners at the Box Office

Best part is when they can recycle these headlines at the next sequel.
I think I've been disappointed with almost every late sequel/modern update lately except for maybe the trains potting sequel.

Lets hope the new Last Starfighter bucks the trend too but if we're honest the modern update is the tv show Future Man and it's awesome

wickedken

TRIBE Member
I think I've been disappointed with almost every late sequel/modern update lately except for maybe the trains potting sequel.

Lets hope the new Last Starfighter bucks the trend too but if we're honest the modern update is the tv show Future Man and it's awesome
Yep. At this point it'd be more surprising if the "sequel"-type production made a mark.

Going back into the library there's a great crime drama Pusher 2 with Mads Mikkelsen. The series of movies all have their unique and memorable contributions to the genre. I think @workdowntown recommended it actually many years ago...

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
Saw "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" last night and really enjoyed it. Tarantino fans are gonna love it. However, die-hard Bruce Lee fans like myself will have a bone to pick with QT. I agree with the article below that Shannon Lee (daughter of Bruce Lee) and her family should have been consulted before making this film.

Will see this movie one more time on the big screen on discount Tuesday.

wickedken

TRIBE Member

Had a chance to take in the Trainspotting sequel and it nicely hits the mark. The lapsed time from the first film is handled well, with rich development of the characters and their lives since then. The James Bond track was actually my favourite from the soundtrack, and there's a nice teasing of Sean Connery in this film.

Last edited:
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood is definitely way different from any other Tarantino movie made. It's definitely one of the best of the year for me.

That last 20 minutes though - holy shit.

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
^ It's discount Tuesday and I'm now hesitant on forking out my money to see it again. I knew Shannon Lee (Bruce's daughter) was not going to like the movie which she just saw on Sunday. Her points in the articles are all valid in my opinion.

I had the same emotional reactions Shannon had in the movie theatre when she saw it. It was next to impossible to enjoy the rest of the film after witnessing the Tyler Durden vs. Bruce Lee scene. It took a nose-dive and pretty much went downhill for me from there.

It's now up to Marvel's new Asian superhero movie Shang-Chi to try to repair the damage of what QT's new film has inflicted. 40 plus years flushed down the toilet on everything Burce Lee tried to express and share in his movies.

Since my friends haven't seen it yet. I may accompany them tonight for my second viewing, but it'll still be hard to see that scene on the big screen again, even though I won't be surprised by its outcome this time.

Last edited:
He was an unbelievably convincing Steve McQueen - he even gets to look dead into the camera in a faux monologue and looked exactly like him. Extremely astute casting choice, and not at all obvious.

I'm kind of on the fence on the Bruce Lee controversy - I really doubt Lee's legacy is really that tarnished. There's a lot of unreliable narration going on in the movie from both Rick Dalton's and Cliff Booth's perspectives, and it came off a bit American Psycho-ish in the flashback (Booth dressed up in the tuxedo for the stunt double part, able to take a kick from Lee the match ending in an "unofficial" stalemate) as well as a bit of background of how tough/crazy Booth is. Remember we see Rick envisioning himself in a particular movie that they actually digitally insert him into the movie itself, so that's where part of my unreliable narrator idea comes from (Tyler Durden indeed, but just not quite in the same way ;))

The movie scene still comes off as a bit of a flat note, but I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt that we're getting a bit of a POV bias in that scene from Booth's perspective. Remember too, that this is a movie about people going out of style - Booth is the old stuntman guard, while Lee is the next level, raising the stakes for everyone in the business, so a bit of a self flattering memory on the part of Booth could be driving the flashback. Rick and Cliff, while we might enjoy riding around with them for the couple of days that the movie, are seriously damaged and not very likable people when you think about the qualities they bring as people.

Last edited:

rave jedi

TRIBE Member

^ Good thing Brad Pitt decided to not film the extended fight scene with Bruce Lee or it would have been even more offensive to fans like myself. Plus, this is an A-list actor who actually knew Brandon Lee.

Truly missed opportunity on Tarantino's part where Steve McQueen and Bruce Lee don't even share any dialogue together in the movie. So pissed about that. Steve was even one of Bruce's pallbearers at his funeral, so you know they were real friends. Go figure.

DJ elektron-

TRIBE Member
Poppea by the Gauthier Dance Company a review

This performance is both modern and a classic portrayal of some established ballet themes. Eric Gauthier was born in Canada and founded the dance company of 16 highly individual, versatile dancers in 2007. Poppea was met with wide acclaim and won several awards too. The remake of this classic brings a modern air and ingenuity to the dance. Some of the more minimalist aspects include the props that were used. For example, the table is a centrepiece in this performance and the crown is a very important prop as well. As is the large cube of water. Spoken word is used to add to the overall effect. Poppea was turned into a feature length film in 3d in February of 2014.

DJ elektron-

TRIBE Member
Brazil a film review

This film was directed by Terry Gilliam of Monty Python fame. It was produced in 1985. This film is a strange portrayal of a future gone awry with bureaucratic business. The main character searches for love in a seemingly disjointed farsical society. It was voted 54th greatest British film of all time in 1999. There is a huge series of unfortunate events that is set into motion by a typo made on a government document. The “happy ending” is in the main character’s mind, as it tracks out to him still being trapped in the system. This film is both a little unnerving and unsettling but thought provoking and critical of certain established norms.

Brazil a film review

This film was directed by Terry Gilliam of Monty Python fame. It was produced in 1985. This film is a strange portrayal of a future gone awry with bureaucratic business. The main character searches for love in a seemingly disjointed farsical society. It was voted 54th greatest British film of all time in 1999. There is a huge series of unfortunate events that is set into motion by a typo made on a government document. The “happy ending” is in the main character’s mind, as it tracks out to him still being trapped in the system. This film is both a little unnerving and unsettling but thought provoking and critical of certain established norms.
There's three versions of the movie, the "happy ending" being the original studio cut of the film that got released into theatres. If you can, track down the director's cut, which is way, way, way more sinister and darker in tone.