1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Movies

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by terrawrist III, Feb 25, 2004.

1. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Possum - i have a feeling people's milage may vary on this one. For me it hit a few key points - firstly has one of my fave actors, (ever since his amazing turn in The Borgias as a fucking badass assassin), the concept is kind of horror based which I'm into lately - and the sound design and visuals are both well attended to. Its also 85 mins. But - it's slow, there's only a few cast members - and you gotta be on it's vibe to go with it. But i think its a remarkably effective film with some real depth to every frame. Those willing to give it a chance might be happy they spent the time with it, as I did - and it has a particularly strong final sequence. Also its creepy as fuck without being cheaply creepy.

2. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Overlord - felt a bit less than the sum of its parts but ultimately it was a fun romp! Basically its premised on this idea that the occult shit the nazis were into lead to them making some zombie super soldiers.

Really high production value and some great sequences throughout - you can surely do worse even if you could easily do better. ;)

Brandon likes this.
  3. Burning lives up to the hype - great suspenseful story, one of the best of the year.

4. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

Is it available for streaming?

5. It just came out on DVD last week, so you should be able to find it.

6. rave jedi

rave jedi TRIBE Member

This is exceptional news for Christopher Nolan fans like myself who only enjoy watching his Batman films on the big 70mm IMAX. The whole trilogy is coming to Cinesphere in April.

‘Dark Knight’ Trilogy Returning To Theaters In Imax 70mm

I'm not very fond of watching his movies on home viewing formats, his films are made for the big screen and watching them on small screens don't do them justice.

7. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Vice worth seeing for Bale alone....

...and not much else. Felt like it was a good concise history of Cheney but a lot of conversations and dialog felt more like a liberal's imagining of what Cheney and Rumsfeld would have said vs what they actually might have said.

They hit a lot of the key points one would make about Cheney but all told something too artificial about the whole enterprise, and this permeates through the dialog to infect the visual style in attempts to have some fun with the film medium (like the credits rolling halfway through). Sometimes these moments feel more hackneyed than playful.

But bale's performance is compelling enough to drag you through all that!

8. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

9. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

10. rave jedi

rave jedi TRIBE Member

We bought our tickets for Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy in 70mm IMAX being shown at the Cinesphere. It is a one day event on 4/20 and with date there will surely be lots of legal potheads coming out for it. LOL 2 of the 5 cities showing it has already sold out. Toronto will definitely sell out too. Get your tickets if you are a true Nolan fan that wants to see this on the big IMAX screen again!

Christopher Nolan’s 'Dark Knight' Trilogy is Returning to Select IMAX® Theatres

SPECIAL EVENT - The Dark Knight Trilogy - Ontario Place

11. Love, Death and Robots - fantastic series on Netflix. It's basically little bite sized sci fi fantasy in the Heavy Metal vein. Can't recommend this enough. Alexd, I know you love your sci fi, this is likely what the doctor ordered.

12. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

watched the first 4 last night. Even ones i am less interested in story wise I am fully engaged in visually.

First one is my fave of the first 4 so far!

13. I really liked Zima Blue. And Lucky 13 was really good as well.

14. If ever you get nostalgic for the Comfort Zone, I would recommend Climax whole heartedly.

It's like a Step Up movie written by Hunter S Thompson having a bad trip in French.

Bernnie Federko likes this.
  15. rave jedi

rave jedi TRIBE Member

I wasn't planning on going to see "Pulp Fiction" at Cinesphere's big screen this weekend, but after seeing QT's new trailer for "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" I may go now. LOL