1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Movies

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by terrawrist III, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

A Star is Born is fantastic.

2. Mile 22 - I have really mixed feelings about Peter Berg - his output as a director is a bit of a mixed bag for me. He's definitely talented - he can piece together some great sequences as he's done with Deepwater Horizon and even Patriots Day had its moments. But then he can go overboard and put out something like Battleship. Mile 22 is actually a pretty decent action film, but the mistake lies in casting Mark Wahlberg in a role that is completely unlikable from the start and makes it nearly impossible to enjoy the movie. Like, seriously - his character is just an unrelenting asshole. From the start to the finish. Which is kind of unfortunate, seeing as the film itself is above average.

3. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

yeah, that was a brutal movie.

4. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

Mission Impossible Fallout. Good action movie. Lack of CGI. Lots of chases and stunts. The best of the series.
    Sorry to Bother You. Decent enough afternoon movie, but easily forgettable and gets weird at the end. Feels like an early- or first-timer producer/director effort.
    Equalizer 2. A little less than decent. Pacing is slow, little action, no one cares about the other characters, Denzel seems... bigger.

5. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Pretty much x2 on all of that for me. I was hoping for a bit more from The Equalizer 2

6. ScottBentley

ScottBentley TRIBE Member

Bohemian Rhapsidy was a decent watch, especially for a Queen fan, but not Award worthy IMHO.

7. rave jedi

rave jedi TRIBE Member

8. They added Pulp Fiction to the lineup in March.

9. Aquaman - It made a billion dollars worldwide, which I find a bit surprising, cause this is a movie that shamelessly steals from a shit ton of films. The core of the story echoes of the first Thor movie, the city of Atlantis looks like a copy of Tron: Legacy's computer world, battles look like they're updated Lord of the Rings and Star Wars Episode 2 war scenes and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

It's not a bad DC Superhero film - I was entertained for the most part, even though it felt a bit long near the end, but after seeing how Wonder Woman (which seems to be the best out of all the DCU movies to date) did so well and felt a bit more original with how the story unfolded, you can't help but feel like everything you're seeing onscreen is really familiar.

10. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

For me Venom was basically a re-skinned Transformers movie.

So bad.

11. rave jedi

rave jedi TRIBE Member

Will consider seeing it on the big screen at the Cinesphere in March. Two years ago, I saw it again at Cineplex's Flashback Film Festival and thought it didn't age very well, although many fans will argue that. It's sad because once upon a time, I thought it was QT's pinnacle and the best of his filmography. Regardless, if I do see it again I'll be on edibles this time and I'm sure the movie will be AWESOME again. LOL

12. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

Anyone know if seating at Ontario Place IMAX are pre-assigned?

13. rave jedi

rave jedi TRIBE Member

No, there is no reserved seating at the moment. However, you can buy your tickets in advance online and seating is available on a first-come, first-served basis.

Cinesphere Tickets & Information - Ontario Place

SneakyPete likes this.
  14. It's a movie that really needs to be seen on the big screen, but yeah, the look of it has kind of faded a bit. When you see the sets, especially when you've got a 4K player that upscales, everything looks really cheap (but then again, the movie was made on only $12 million, even back in 1994, that was practically chump change).

It's still his best film, I think, and I think that maybe a bit of fatigue has settled in with pop culture after being referenced so often.

15. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

I've been eyeing Free Solo for awhile now, but with no reserve seating I'll probably skip the IMAX. I probably just go see it at a normal theatre.

16. rave jedi

rave jedi TRIBE Member

You are in luck. They just added a few more dates because it sold out entirely all week for the IMAX screenings.

After it premiered at TIFF, it was in the theatres for the last 3 months but it wasn't until this month when National Geographic announced they had an IMAX print that was suppose to be screening for one week only from January 11 to 17 in North America.

17. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

Oscar voters showered Alfonso Cuaron’s Romaand Yorgos Lanthimos’ The Favourite with a leading 10 nominationsto the 91st Academy Awards. With Black Panther, Marvel has the first superhero movie nominated for best picture, while Netflix scored its first best picture nomination with Roma

Much of the talk today, however, is about who was snubbed. “This year, the names left off the ballot seem especially egregious,” Barry Hertz writes,, including director Barry Jenkins, his film If Beale Street Could Talk, actress Toni Collette (Hereditary) and the Mr. Rogers documentary Won’t You Be My Neighbor?

And for fans of eighties cult classic Withnail and I, Richard E. Grantreceived his first nomination, as best supporting actor for Can You Ever Forgive Me?

Opinion: This year’s Oscars race is now certified as the wildest – and ugliest – in recent memory, Barry Hertz writes
    “Going host-less for the first time in three decades – and compounded by a series of inside-baseball controversies roiling its membership – the Academy Awards is thick in the middle of an identity crisis.”

The Academy Awards take place Feb. 24.

18. Hal-9000

Hal-9000 TRIBE Member

Standoff at Sparrow Creek. Wow. Watch it ASAP.

19. rave jedi

rave jedi TRIBE Member

Two excellent movies to trip out to "The Matrix" and "Inception" for the month of February on Cinesphere's huge screen. Never seen either of these movies stoned before because I had taken a 15 year break from smoking weed. As I mentioned before in this thread, it wasn't until last summer that I experimented with pot edibles and fell in love with cannabis all over again. Now I wanna get my hands on some shrooms and LSD for old times. LOL

BTW, I disagree with the critics and liked the new movie "Glass". Why because I was stoned! :D

20. Raiders of the Lost Ark is the one I think I'm going to go out of my way for. I have both Inception and The Matrix in 4K - I can pause it at anytime and go for a puff (although, Inception would be nice to see on a huge screen again).

21. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Bad Times at the El Royale

fuuuuuck - ok its a bit long.

It starts slow. Its uneven.

But something - and I think maybe its the presence of Jeff Daniels and two new faces (to me anyway - the singer and the boy working at the hotel) and some of the class in some of the scenes and direction that salvages this from being shit movie and turning it into a decent to pretty good - but not great movie!

I found myself getting along with the movie more and more as it went on.

The two beautiful people put into this movie to put asses in seats do a serviceable job. But they are not the beating heart of this movie, and less of them may have made the whole thing a few notches better!

22. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

^^ also the fucking trailer for this movie made me think i was in for some weird caper/black comedy like Get Shorty.

This? is not that....

I wouldn't even know what its closest comparisons are. Its like a Coen-brothers wanna be that takes a bit of a darker turn, really, in the themes it explores - and isn't as effective/interesting as most Coen movies.

Maybe its more like the "weird" Coen brothers movies that are not as popular - your Hudsucker Proxy vibe.... taken down a few notches on the darkness scale and slowed down.

23. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

this movie was horrible, stop trying to be kind to it. I was interested in this movie and had hopes that sound similar to yours but in the end the best part of this movie is the trailer

24. rave jedi

rave jedi TRIBE Member

^ It was a B-movie that I saw on edibles back in October and liked it because I was stoned. The director was also definitely influenced by Quentin Tarantino and David Lynch films.

25. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

I stand by my range of decent-to-pretty-good but am more to the "decent" side and its up to anyone if they want to spend 2h15 mins on this movie which I think is a really open question.

Plenty of better fare