1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Movies

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by terrawrist III, Feb 25, 2004.

1. rave jedi

rave jedi TRIBE Member

Last night I saw "Top Gun" in 3D IMAX at the Cinesphere and it was truly a phenomenal movie experience. Seeing the film stoned on edibles gave me real flashbacks of how I remember what IMAX flicks at the Cinesphere were like when I was a kid. It was the first time I'd seen the movie in a theatre since it was first released in 1986. Absolutely mindblowing! They have 8 more movie titles coming up at the Cinesphere running until Christmas. Make sure you see some of these movies on the big screen again, especially the ones in actual IMAX print like "Blade Runner 2049.

Cinesphere Tickets & Information - Ontario Place

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  2. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

3. The Night Comes For Us on Netflix is something that will appeal to fans of The Raid series, who might have felt that the series was holding back. This is unbelievably violent - Robocop got nothing on this - with all the action and fight sequences having the brutality factor cranked up to 11 all the way through. Countless henchman are given broken bones, improvised weapons being used frequently to their fullest and most vicious potential, and the audience is never spared of the messy aftermath of a lot of the action that goes on screen (a few fights are conducted among the leftover parts of henchmen that were blown to bits - this happens more than a few times). The story is a bit inconsequential - very bad man has a moment of clarity while conducting death squad duties - seeks redemption through saving a little girl that is the centerpiece of the film. Triad bosses are upset and want him dead for his killing his own crew as a consequence of his change of heart.

I'm not kidding you, this is unbelievably brutal - don't have any kids around when you're watching it. It's quite good, but not for the faint of heart or of the stomach.

Brandon likes this.
  4. ScottBentley

ScottBentley TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

Alarm dispatcher and former police officer Asger Holm answers an emergency call from a kidnapped woman. When the call is suddenly disconnected, the search for the woman and her kidnapper begins.

Really good. Take a few deep breaths before it begins because it gets super tense!

5. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Modern Classic IMO

6. ScottBentley

I can't watch anything with Nic Cage. Except for Leaving Las Vegas he's ruined every movie I've seen him in. Just looking at his stupid face makes me angry. ch33se

7. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

THis is actually the perfect vehicle for him even if you hate him.

just like Bill and Ted was the perfect Keanu Reeves vehicle even if we all knew he couldn't act.

8. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

agreed but also Raising Arizona.

I watched Mandy in spite of him and enjoyed it.

I have a friend who is good friends with him and swears he's an awesome person so I've softened my stance a bit. but he's like Tom Cruise, I always see Tom cruise when I watch his movies same with Cage. it make it really hard to appreciate their acting

9. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

Does Bill & Ted's hold up?

10. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

Is it on Netflix?

11. ScottBentley

Not on Netflix, no. I torrented it.

SneakyPete likes this.
  12. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

1st one is much stronger than #2.

My nostalgia value was high and I enjoyed both in 1080p on a great transfer some months ago.

Your mileage may vary if you were never a big fan of the flicks.

13. I can't hate on the second one - William Sanderson's performance as Death is so awesomely funny. It's not as good and well crafted as the first, but makes up for it in the goofiness. That they managed to get Joss Ackerlund to wear those huge boots and play the role of the villain, was a bonus.

praktik likes this.
  14. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Yes i like it for all those reasons but #1 is the stronger flick.

Of course the games with death are just great!

15. rave jedi

rave jedi TRIBE Member

Last night was the first time I'd seen "Blade Runner" in a movie theatre in almost 2 years. It was such a treat to see this classic brilliant sci-fi masterpiece at Cinesphere's big screen. Next weekend, I'm so looking forward to seeing the sequel "Blade Runner 2049" there because it's in IMAX and I can't wait to see it again. These 2 movies, I recommend never seeing them straight because they are just better when you are on something. LOL It's like a rock concert, you have to be on drugs to fully appreciate the experience and groove of the music. Concerts just aren't as fun straight and sober. You can quote me on that one.

Cinesphere Tickets & Information - Ontario Place

Bernnie Federko likes this.
  16. rave jedi

rave jedi TRIBE Member

^ The logo at the beginning of movie was so big on Cinesphere's screen that I was able to see the name "Sir Run Run Shaw". I totally forgot that one of the martial arts movies famous Shaw Brothers co-produced "Blade Runner".

[​IMG]

17. Hereditary - while not an outright horror film in the sense of delivering jump scares, is a slow burning mix of The Exorcist, The Changeling (the George C. Scott one) and a bit of Rosemary's Baby. It's got atmosphere and an overwhelmingly sense of dread hanging over it which drives the uneasy feeling you have watching this. I do feel there was a bit of a cheat, however; if you listen very carefully to the soundtrack of the movie, there's a rapid, near hardcore bpm of a very low bass drum, almost sounding like an excited heartbeat going on in the background (no explanation for it) in some of the quieter scenes. You need to listen carefully, but you can hear it - and I can't help but feel like it adds to a false sense of excitement if you're not really paying attention.

Still, this movie is another notch in the belt for Toni Collette - she's proven herself to be one incredible actress and this is some of her best work - someone who is surrounded by tragedy and holding so much inside, terrified of her life with her recently deceased (and heavily implied mentally unstable) mother. It's a very memorable performance in a year of a strong performances from other actresses this year - one of the best of 2018 easily.

The absence of the jump scares might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I did find this an excellently acted, very suspenseful and a few WTF moments that lingered around for a while after watching it.

18. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Juliet, Naked: after some movies that failed to engage me was unexpectedly charmed by this one. Ethan Hawke is great and the writing is smart and its an economical and appropriate 90.min length. Not so much filler just great, human storytelling

And now for something completely different:

The House That Jack Built: had to see this one as I'm a huge Matt Dillon fan still upset at his Oscar snub the year Something About Mary came out. I'm not even joking about that. I'd heard about Lars Von Trier but not really seen his work, I knew I would be in for some ultra violence.

And I got that. But I also got an amazing performance by Matt Dillon, some thought provoking dialogue and philosophy and an artist's touch everywhere that made the violence easier to process. When your mind is ticking along on all these levels it makes some fairly atrocious stuff hit you differently, it provokes thought along with the disgust instead of disgust alone

I was fairly mesmerized. And the end sequence is just out of this world and memorable as fuck

This could become something of a modern cult classic, for sure. I think it shares something with Natural Born Killers, but I'm not sure what that is beyond their common ability to situate the grotesque inside contexts that make the grotesqueness mean something, a stimulation to the philosophical mind while the lizard brain is teased by the images in front of you. Perhaps they are both entries in works of film and philosophy that explore what violence means in the human condition with a similarly freewheeling spirit of creativity and willingness to be playful with the film medium.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  19. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

It's been an interesting year for movies - I'll be coming back to Mandy and The House That Jack Built over the years for sure!

20. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

Hereditary.

wow. that's one fucked up movie. loved it, but it left me quite unsettled afterwards.

the Mom rocked that role.

21. I can only like Mandy.

I can't fucking stand Von Trier - and he's gotten incredibly boring, favoring shock over and over again over substance ever since Antichrist imho, Melancholy being the exception, but he even fucked that up at Cannes with his comments.

I don't mean to be dickish, dude, by I find it a bit surprising your stance on Tom Cruise, and you give Von Trier a pass (maybe pass is the wrong word), considering his reputation.

22. Shit I watched this week:

The Death of Stalin I was surprised the source material was from a comic book, but a very well researched comic book about Russian history. It's played as an incredibly dark comedy (laughs are given, but with executions going on sometimes in the background - gallows humour doesn't even begin to describe it). Great cast, with Jeffrey Tambour playing Malakov, the deputy to Stalin and Steve Buscemi as Kruschchev (and looking the part), Rupert Friend as Stalin, Jason Isaacs as the war hero Zhukov and a long list of some pretty A list talent. The humour can be extremely dry (and as I mentioned, pitch black), but it is a very entertaining take on what might have occurred and the endless backstabbing that goes on as everyone tries to outwit each other to fill the power vacuum. Recommended.

Hotel Artemis - One of the other pleasant surprises this summer that very few saw (Upgrade was the one I still champion as being one of the best surprises of the year) - it takes the hotel concept of John Wick's world and turns it into a near future set hospital for criminals. Another strong cast - Jodie Foster, Sterling K Brown, Dave Bautista, Jeff Goldblum, Zachary Quinto and others, it works as a siege movie like a more stylish take on John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13. Far better than I was expecting.

Killing Gunter - Taran Killian from SNL wrote and directed this mock documentary of a team of assassins trying to take down the best of the industry, Gunther. He's played by Arnold Schwarzenegger, only showing up in the last half hour of the movie, but clearly relishing the role and being able to toss out a bunch of classic Arnie lines. It's nothing amazing, but it is amusing and did entertain.

23. Oh yeah, one more I forgot:

The Man Who Fell to Earth - after watching Don't Look Now, and the recent death of it's director, Nicholas Roeg, I decided to give this a chance. It's a bit of oddball 70's science fiction, but it's not really a science fiction movie. I'm not entirely sure of what to make of it - there's a statement about abandoning your own values when you become a success and the inherent corruption of your soul, I think. David Bowie is quite good in it (and isn't shy about a flashing his little Thin White Duke either). Not bad, very artsy, and extremely 70's

24. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

I use a Utilitarian calculus, the amount of misery generated by Scientology is exponential. My policy is to only download cruise movies and never contribute to his projects with $$ - I still steal Cruise movies though (and stole the Von Trier)

I also know nothing of Trier and maybe hadn't even seen any of his movies before this one - I can only imagine his crimes to be magnitudes less than Cruise - hundreds of thousands of victims of scientology

Also. Matt fuckin Dillon!!

And an amazing, crazy end sequence.

House that Jack Built
    has merit - maybe my complete lack of expectations let me see that in a way you never could with your preconceptions

25. Lars von Trier - Wikipedia

No disrespect in my previous comment - his abusive behavior is worse and pretty blatant, the comments from Nicole Kidman was pretty bad, but the sexual abuse allegations from Bjork are the worst. I think I just don't find him as the provocateur that lots of critics heap upon him. No denying his talent, I just find his attitude and bomb throwing antics often eclipse the movie he's making.

I can't say if I agree your assessment of it having merit - I think it's too soon to write it off, but I don't know if it's going to be remembered as a positive highlight of his career. Have to wait to see how it ages.