1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Movies

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by terrawrist III, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

2. workdowntown

workdowntown TRIBE Member

Loved it!

3. Have you checked out the other movie the director did? Beyond the Black Rainbow? I haven't given it a look, but they said it's a fantastic companion piece to Mandy.

4. workdowntown

Saw it in the cinema on release, great visuals and atmosphere but otherwise ruined by an absolutely abysmal, tacked-on ending.
    Worth a watch in any case.

5. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

6. workdowntown

7. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

also really looking forward to the A Star Is Born remake with Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga.
    She'll take home an Oscar for this me thinky.

8. I don't know if she'll win it, but she definitely has a bright future in film, if she wants to go down that path.

9. rave jedi

rave jedi TRIBE Member

10. Is Anon on netflix any good? After the Cloverfield Paradox and a few other Netflix misfires, I'm a bit leery in spending a couple of hours on a Netflix original.

11. workdowntown

Black 47, fucking grim but excellent.

12. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Ya this has been on-deck in my movie folder for ages but havent had the courage to double click it! Someone tell us about Anon!

A few though on-deck and moldering for a while we had caught lately in the past two weeks:

Denial - Surprisingly engaged through this 2016 film with excellent performances all round and a subject matter, Holocaust Denial, which is relevant as all fuck these days and made us think of all the ways in which David Irving has a lot of company now -> and how other beliefs are similarly rooted in anomaly hunting, obsession and the motivation to see the facts the way you want to see them - the way you need to see them in order to support your unsupportable belief. Your mileage may vary but it was a good way to pass the time for us one early evening recently! Its a courtroom drama at core so its like a really great Law and Order episode with a lot more depth and heft.

American Animals - maybe the best heist movie of the last two years or so - maybe longer. Im actually quite bored with the heist concept and you need a really interesting setting, a compelling story or a unique object of heist to make such a movie something I wanna see. This had all those things and also told the story in a mixed documentary/narrative way that really was effective and clever at making you realize the film before you was rooted in the faulty and flawed perception of the individuals participating in it. You feel like the movie makers picked the best "obtainable" version of the truth on this (to quote Woodward/Bernstein) and also that some areas of What Really Happened might be grey and unverifiable forever. Really good film and some strong performances from younger actors here for sure.

Marrowbone - I was finally compelled to double click on this 2017 release and glad I did - i'd call it "horror-ish"? Its a pretty well realized film with a promising and engaging performance from the older kid from Captain Fantastic - who puts in something that shows you we'll be seeing this kid around for a while! You might need to be in a certain mood for strings and medium pacing but the movie does a good job of keeping your interest and chopping up the narrative in the way they did comes together brilliantly in the final act. Smart movie.

Muse - mostly forgettable horror but you could do worse.

13. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

ANyone tried on Radius yet?

Looks like a "grab you" kind of concept and getting decent reviews on IMDB and the tomatoes.....

Canadian movie that ain't too shabby maybe?

Sitting in queue but always picking something else..;)

14. workdowntown

If you haven't yet, watch (german language) Netflix shows 'Dark' and (Belgian) 'Hotel Beau Séjour'.

Highly-recommended to watch in original audio with subs.

15. ScottBentley

ScottBentley TRIBE Member

Somebody didn't have their afternoon nap!

Thought it was well done and far from boring.

Chacun son gout I guess.

praktik likes this.
  16. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Ya with you - i really liked it! (see above!)

But you know he might have just been pre-bored by the whole heist concept for a movie plot. Well travelled ground!

I thought this one actually brought something new to that well-trammeled path.

17. rave jedi

rave jedi TRIBE Member

With the legalization of marijuana later this month on October 17th, I started a bit early with my revival of using pot again after a 15 years absence. My resurgence started again in late August when I attended the New Order concert. Ever since then I've been hooked on edibles and have gone to see new movies at the theatre just stoned out of my mind. LOL

Honestly, I don't even know a good movie from a bad movie now because of eating edibles before a movie. Here's what I've seen high on edibles and these 3 movies were all enjoyable to me at the cinema.

1. The Predator

2. Crazy Rich Asians

3. Bad Times at the El Royale

Using cannabis again has made all 3 of these B-movies good movies to me. I can't wait to see my first authentic good movie again and see where these edible trips take me! :D

18. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Its all about having fun dude! ;)

Glad you enjoyed yourself <coughs, tokes>

19. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

I will give it another try

20. I watched it high - I wanted to like it, but Jesus, that ending....

21. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

Just watched Annihilation on Netflix last night. I thought it was worth a watch but I wouldn't pay for it. I think the audience rating on Rotten Tomatoe is fair(66%), the critics have it too high at 87%.

22. workdowntown

The Mr Rogers documentary "Won't You Be My Neighbor"(2018) is great.
    Well worth the watch, genuinely tear-inducing, hopeful and loving documenting of the life of an extraordinary human.

23. I didn't like it as much as Ex Machina.

workdowntown likes this.
  24. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

i was pleasantly surprised by this. The last 30 minutes made the film imo. The beginning plodded along too much and the delevopment of characters was weak. Especially her team she went in with.

25. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Ya i loved the ending, and that song in the final climax was note/vibe perfect.