• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Movies

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
Is Valerian playing anywhere yet?
Starts today Alex. I'm seeing it on Tuesday. Here you go.

Cineplex.com | Showtimes

BTW, I saw "Dunkirk" last night at the advance screening at Scotiabank's laser IMAX theatre. It was truly amazing and visually stunning. Christopher Nolan has done it once again! I will be seeing it in 70mm IMAX film for my second viewing this weekend.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
We are seeing Dunkirk at Scotiabank IMAX tonight.

War For The Planet Of The Apes was awesome, as was Spider-Man Homecoming.

This will be three Thursdays in a row of amazing movies!

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Saw War for the Planet of the Apes last night. Found it a bit contrived and dragged out way too long. Almost fell asleep a couple of times. Animation work was amazing but the story telling was pretty weak.

I liked Valerian, it seems a bit more straight faced that The Fifth Element, not quite as manic and madcap (which I have to admit, was kind of the charm with The Fifth Element - being so completely bonkers at times) It's absolutely dazzling to see in 3D and worth spending the extra skrilla on the DBox seating. Soundtrack was so-so - Eric Serra did such a better job.

Weird cameos too - Herbie Hancock was not expected.

djfear

TRIBE Member
I liked Valerian, it seems a bit more straight faced that The Fifth Element, not quite as manic and madcap (which I have to admit, was kind of the charm with The Fifth Element - being so completely bonkers at times) It's absolutely dazzling to see in 3D and worth spending the extra skrilla on the DBox seating. Soundtrack was so-so - Eric Serra did such a better job.

Weird cameos too - Herbie Hancock was not expected.
I just saw it in regular format at imagine cinemas (rainbow st lawrence theatre). I was waiting for the movie for a while so here's my review:

First off, the visuals are amazing and reminiscent of many of today's sci fi movies with lots of different aliens. Though I enjoyed it, I didn't find anything that was very unique. The visuals just seem too unoriginal sci-fi, even looking similar to things like the first guardians of the galaxy space scenes.

There were elements of Star Wars, like the desert scenes, or even Valerian running through Alpha being reminiscent of Anakin running through the city in Star Wars 2. There are even some nods at the 5th element, for example when they land on the first planet and they scan it for parasites, or when Laureline says "nice hat", and even one of the races that gets introduced in the beginning (they look like the mondoshewans). Also, the grey aliens that the story revolves around look just like they're from Avatar.

Valerian and Laurelien themselves... I just didn't like them that much, and I agree with other reviews online that state their poor chemistry. I think the writing just isn't there for the dialogue, and it's all just another typical movie.

Verdict: It was entertaining and I would see it in 3d, but it's purely a brainless visual orgasm and it will not become a cult classic or withstand the test of time.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

JamesM

TRIBE Member
This movie was so unbelievably bad don't even compare it with fifth element. For one I couldn't wait I just wanted these shallow kid actors to get killed I couldn't care less.

That's the movie. The visuals weren't even that great to make up for the complete disgregard to a real movie.

Besson is a hit or miss?

wickedken

TRIBE Member
Surprised by Brimstone. It's definitely on the slow burn side and has a very creepy, period piece feeling to it, taking place in the horse and carriage Old West. It's essentially a tragedy and wow it's next-level cruelty. Seemed a bit rushed on the end but a great long movie experience.

Was Immortel from 2004 any good? I remember Alexd saying that he was interested in it, looks like The Fifth Element inspired by a heavy dose of Egyptian Mythology.

Or can I expect something as batshit insane as Gods of Egypt?

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Saw Passengers the other day. I liked it.

It's weird though the guy is such an ass, but it was required to save the ship in the end by complete fluke. You know. Spoilers.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Life movie for me was like seriously bizarre. They had the opportunity to blow the hatch when Ryan Reynolds was eaten. But instead they just let the alien run around an make amucks. Major plot holes, not thought out at all.
I tried to watch this again and ended up fast forwarding to the end I think I missed it the first time through. Yes Alien wins. Everyone [thank god] was eaten.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
Anyone see Two Lovers and a Bear? Great little Canadian film with the chick from Orphan Black. Takes place in Nunavut which made the movie even more interesting for me. Really enjoyed it!

wickedken

TRIBE Member
Disappointed by Our Kind of Traitor. The next in the movie-ization of John Le Carre's books. I can't quite put my finger on it, but certainly the characters and plot just doesn't have the same... impact as the previous entries. Seems like a cheaper, HBO-production value movie.

Hell or High Water, no surprises, no new ground, Texas bank robbers and Texas Rangers. Has enough dialogue and it's great seeing Ben Foster being a bad guy to make this a decent, if forgettable, watch.

I just saw it in regular format at imagine cinemas (rainbow st lawrence theatre). I was waiting for the movie for a while so here's my review:

First off, the visuals are amazing and reminiscent of many of today's sci fi movies with lots of different aliens. Though I enjoyed it, I didn't find anything that was very unique. The visuals just seem too unoriginal sci-fi, even looking similar to things like the first guardians of the galaxy space scenes.

There were elements of Star Wars, like the desert scenes, or even Valerian running through Alpha being reminiscent of Anakin running through the city in Star Wars 2. There are even some nods at the 5th element, for example when they land on the first planet and they scan it for parasites, or when Laureline says "nice hat", and even one of the races that gets introduced in the beginning (they look like the mondoshewans). Also, the grey aliens that the story revolves around look just like they're from Avatar.

Valerian and Laurelien themselves... I just didn't like them that much, and I agree with other reviews online that state their poor chemistry. I think the writing just isn't there for the dialogue, and it's all just another typical movie.

Verdict: It was entertaining and I would see it in 3d, but it's purely a brainless visual orgasm and it will not become a cult classic or withstand the test of time.
I thought the intra dimensional market place was a very strong beginning - clever setting, smart ideas, strange costumes, excellent execution cinematically and a certain amount of playfulness to the idea with his arm being stuck between two dimensions - it's the best part of the movie, I thought, and the closest thing to the Fifth Element. After the leave the planet however, it does get bogged down and doesn't quite have the energy that the beginning of the movie started with. There are some pretty inspired shots here and there - like Valerian busting through the various quarters (even though it does have an Episode 2 vibe to it, like you stated). But yeah, as a whole, I don't think this will be quite as loved as Besson's other works.

But then again, this is sort of like the live action Ghost in the Shell movie - Valerian inspired a whole lot of sci fi before sci fi got big, but the adaptation comes at a time where a lot of the ideas and themes that made Valerian so unique has been co-opted and explored so many times in other films and media. It's hard to view it with as much affection, after being adapted so late in the game, when other films have tread on similar ground and taken the ideas much further, despite being the originator or one of the early adapters at the time of creation.

Last edited:

praktik

TRIBE Member
Shot Caller was superb, and shows you how the prison system is great at manufacturing criminals and clients for life.

Nice to see Nikolai Coster Waldau so gritty!

Really nice soundtrack and some excellent performances

praktik

TRIBE Member
oh ya saw Guardians 2 - pretty decent i guess.

I think i was wowed more technically and visually than I was like, moved by it or anything. Love Kurt Russell so was nice to see him play God.

Ya I had fun. But not all that memorable once its done.

wickedken

TRIBE Member
Quiz: When watching thriller/horror, which do you prefer:

A) No background music. Just the environment scenery and machinery noise, or

B) With some type of soundtrack.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
I couldn't make it past five minutes of Wonder Woman.
glad to hear I wasn't the only one, I lasted 30 minutes though. I'm either dumber or more patient than you.

as I said earlier all the accolades had more to do with the director than it being an amazing movie, it's an alright movie but nothing more

wickedken

TRIBE Member
glad to hear I wasn't the only one, I lasted 30 minutes though. I'm either dumber or more patient than you.

as I said earlier all the accolades had more to do with the director than it being an amazing movie, it's an alright movie but nothing more
I haven't seen the actual accolades but I'd hate to get those... seems like a charity thumbs up. One day I'l try to watch at least some of the plot develop but the opening scene felt straight out of Zena.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders