• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Movies

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
Put on All Good Things instead, which was decent but went a little nuts in the final act, woah. It's a true story too

Robert Durst - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Loved this movie, very weird and creepy but kept me glued to the tv.

Watched Limitless this weekend. Not a bad movie but there were some plot holes. Over all entertaining i guess.

Also watched Shelter. All i can say is why the hell is it so hard to make a good horror movie. Ugh.

kuba

TRIBE Member
Loved this movie, very weird and creepy but kept me glued to the tv.

Watched Limitless this weekend. Not a bad movie but there were some plot holes. Over all entertaining i guess.

Also watched Shelter. All i can say is why the hell is it so hard to make a good horror movie. Ugh.
so you didn't like shelter?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

erika

TRIBE Member
The second half is better, but it is still way too arty for me.
Definitely worth seeing on a big screen; and certainly has two very different halves; I thought it was an interesting approach to a "the world is ending" story. I actually would have liked to have seen some of those images projected during some of Amon Tobin's ISAM performance.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Saw The Adventures of TinTin last night. It was kind of strange to see the books come to life. The animation is excellent but the chase scenes (it was basically one huge chase scene) were too long. Snowy, TinTin's dog is just plain adorable. On the whole, I liked it.

voytek

TRIBE Member
Dead Man's Shoes - very good. tight, tense, enthralling even. nod to rents for the heads up, one of countless by now...

Dinner for Schmucks - it felt like an updated version of a rat pack movie, with the daily show and conchords alumni getting together with their buddies and having a good time making a flick. i sure hated, and still do, dumb and dumber, but i do have a soft spot for all things carell so i could relate to the idiot factor without being overly annoyed by it. zach galifianakis and jemaine clement stole it.

Ironclad - anything england circa robin hood era and you got me at king john. that dude was a douche bag of epic quest proportions and when done by paul giamatti it's even more fun to be hatin' on him. the ultraviolence for the win tho...

Attack the Block - omfg, how fun was that? like, so much? i watched it like, twice in a day. i feel like talking with block accent now and sounding all 14 and badass.

voytek

TRIBE Member
so on the last episode of the office they were watching limitless and source code on the bus during a company outing, so i downed them and went for the latter first. not bad. certainly better than that piece of crap deja-vu, if for no other reason than the fact that i didn't even bother trying to understand how the source code actually works and just enjoyed the ride.

will hit limitless next, but warrior first. i like my odds for this one.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I saw Drive last night. I liked it a lot, brought back memories of Miami Blues, which I highly recommend. Anyway Ryan Gosling's acting sucks - even a raised eyebrow would have been nice - but it was totally saved by the dark visuals and the soundtrack. The supporting cast was really strong as well.

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
Martha Marcy May Marlene

kind of slow and unsatisfying. You spend half the movie wanting the girl to finally tell her sister that she was in a fucking cult. Elizabeth Olsen is alright, I can see why the critics liked her performance. Nice tits too!

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Martha Marcy May Marlene

kind of slow and unsatisfying. You spend half the movie wanting the girl to finally tell her sister that she was in a fucking cult. Elizabeth Olsen is alright, I can see why the critics liked her performance. Nice tits too!
I thought this film was superb. Excellent tension building and a looming sense of dread heightened by some of the finest editing I've witnessed this year (surely this owes a lot to the script). Elizabeth Olson and Jon Hawkes are both stellar.

rentboy

TRIBE Member
Martha Marcy May Marlene

I thought it was fairly clear that Olsen resented her older sister, blaming her for not being there during times before she eloped. She also resented the life that she'd built for herself.
Olsen didn't want to show weakness from having joined a cult in the first place. Would you tell someone that, or having left an abusive boyfriend? The cult makes her look like a complete wackjob.

I thought it was a great film. The editing was superb.

erika

TRIBE Member
Caught The Beginners on the plane. Quite good, quirky, endearing at times. Both Christopher Plummer and Ewan MacGregor were excellent.

rowla

TRIBE Member
i watched 50/50 on the weekend with my miss, we both really liked it. heavy at times but doesn't get too upsetting with well placed comedy.

and watched the dept last night. thought is was well done as too.

Maui

TRIBE Member
Are little kids the only people who rent movies today? wtf

Top 5 DVD Rentals:

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hal...
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Str...
Captain America: The First Aveng...
Transformers: Dark of the Moon
Green Lantern

kuba

TRIBE Member
Saw The Debt on Saturday and I enjoyed it, thought it was the right mix of espionage with a relationship story.

Tried watching Margin Call and stopped halfway thru again. Lately no time for bad movies, so I cut them.

--[Zirca]--

TRIBE Promoter
Watched Catch .44 this weekend. What a p.o.s. Save yourself the time, you'll be begging for it back if you attempt to sit through it. A very bad Tarantino want to be movie, that fails on all accords. Seems like Forrest Whitaker's and Bruce Willis's standards have dropped significantly (granted either of them haven't had a good movie in a while that I recall).

erika

TRIBE Member
Saw The Debt on Saturday and I enjoyed it, thought it was the right mix of espionage with a relationship story.

Tried watching Margin Call and stopped halfway thru again. Lately no time for bad movies, so I cut them.
Interesting: the Globe and Mail gives this 4 stars; why did you think it was bad?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

dstarr

TRIBE Member
Watched The Ides of March last night. Solid flick and worth a watch.

I love this time of year as screeners are easy to find....

Shame - amazing, very understated performance by Michael Fassbender, and an absolute depression fest of a movie. Fassbender manages to imply and convey the severity to his addiction, as well as hint at an extremely traumatic event or series of events that he and his sister endured. Really good film that does a lot of storytelling through a lot of showing and talking when needed, with the minimal use of expository dialogue. That being said, this isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea.

Last edited:

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
^^^ i really want to see shame. you had me at depression fest!

i've barely seen any movies this year. i suck. although i did watch sin nombre recently. that was good AND depressing.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Margin Call is a well written, finely paced film with solid performances. On no planet, is it a bad movie. Is it my favourite of the year? No. But I think it is the best corporate suspense film since Michael Clayton.