• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Movie Bombs

sweetdaddy

TRIBE Member
i have been trying to find a website that lists some of the worst movie bombs of all time. (financially at the theaters....not just a bad movie) but I can't seem to find any.

i did find this though:

Town & Country...cost $86million...earned $6.7million in 4 weeks, at which time it was pulled from the theaters. This is also a Warren Beaty film. Warren was already notorious for his bomb ISHTAR.

i'd love to know about some others.

I alos Heard that NORTH COUNTRY with Charlize Theron bombed pretty bad too.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

sweetdaddy

TRIBE Member
Adam said:
IIRC, Heaven's Gate is usually regarded as the biggest movie bomb of all time.
The movie's unprecedented $40 million cost and extremely poor performance at the box office ($3,484,331 gross in the United States)

sweetdaddy

TRIBE Member
here's some movies that lost more than $100,000,000.00

13th warrior
final fantasy: spirits within
Adventures of Pluto Nash
the alamo
around the world in 80 days
treasure planet

movies that lost over $75,000,000.00

The Four Feathers
Hart's War
Town & Country
XXX: state of the union

movies that lost over $50,000,000.00

Gigli
Gods & Generals
Hidalgo
Home On The range
k-19: widowmaker
red planet
Rollerball
Sahara
Son Of Mask
Stealth
Stepford Wives
Thunderbirds

Karim

TRIBE Member
newstyle666 said:
Death to Smoochy. $80 million feature - gross revenue: $6.5 million.
How the hell does a movie like Death to Smoochy cost $80 mil to make?

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
there is no fucking way in hell that death to smoochy cost 80 mil to make, i mean its second lead was john leguizamo....and robin-overacting-williams was the lead...did they spend 79.99999million on coke or something???????????????????

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

le bricoleur

TRIBE Member
sweetdaddy said:
here's some movies that lost more than $100,000,000.00

13th warrior
final fantasy: spirits within
Adventures of Pluto Nash
the alamo
around the world in 80 days
treasure planet

movies that lost over $75,000,000.00

The Four Feathers
Hart's War
Town & Country
XXX: state of the union

movies that lost over $50,000,000.00

Gigli
Gods & Generals
Hidalgo
Home On The range
k-19: widowmaker
red planet
Rollerball
Sahara
Son Of Mask
Stealth
Stepford Wives
Thunderbirds
100,000,000 x 6 = 600,000,000.00
75,000,000 x 4 = 300,000,000.00
50,000,000 x 12 = 600,000,000.00
= 1,500,000,000

That's 1.5 billion dollars that could have gone towards AIDS research or feeding Africa!!
Hollywood makes me sick!!

Same thing with the television industry. Look at all of the shit on the air and just think what that money could have been better spent on.

b

rentboy

TRIBE Member
basketballjones said:
there is no fucking way in hell that death to smoochy cost 80 mil to make, i mean its second lead was john leguizamo....and robin-overacting-williams was the lead...did they spend 79.99999million on coke or something???????????????????

wasn't the second lead Edward Norton?

I've never seen it, but 80 mil does seem extravagant for a movie lacking in special effects or an all-star cast.

Karim

TRIBE Member
rentboy said:
wasn't the second lead Edward Norton?

I've never seen it, but 80 mil does seem extravagant for a movie lacking in special effects or an all-star cast.
When they were filming it I went to a leafs game and the entire cast was in a box watching the game. I'm sure the cast ate at the finest restaurants, got chauffered in the finest cars, snorted the finest blow and only called the finest hookers....all on studio dime. $80 mill seems alot more plausible :p

The Island was blamed as the film that caused Dreamworks to go up for sale. The film is rumoured to be in the neighbourhood of $180 to $210 million dollars.

Most of these costs are bureaucratic red tape, both inside the film industry and outside the film industry (ie. renting a location, government red tape) as well as the hiring of talent, lawyers and a lot of other costs.

Most of the film budgets listed don't include the advertising campaign to promote the film, nor the cost of paying a top listed actor to simply get into the room so that you can pitch them the idea (ie. Steve "Spaz" Williams, one of the pioneers of CGI tech in films and responsible for the work you saw in Jurassic Park and Casper - went on to make Spawn. He said that it cost $2 or 4 million dollars to get some time with Will Smith in order to get him into a room and pitch an movie idea to him - and Will Smith doesn't have to say yes).