• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

Movement 2014

Illogistix

TRIBE Member
Just drove back and already reliving so many classic moments from an amazing weekend in Detroit. 10 awesome things:

- the weather was perfect.
- watching tankers cruise down the river from high on the steps at the Beatport stage
- catching DJ Marky and then Ed Rush and Optical. I haven't seen drum and bass at a big party since the old days and loved it. wandered in and ended up staying at that stage for 2 hours.
- City Club in the Leland Hotel is a sick venue. We went up the back stairs and it was dark and industrial and creepy as hell. Like a bomb went off inside. Then we left through the main foyer of the hotel and it was all old grandiose marble pillars and guilded ceilings from the days of yore when Detroit was booming. So surreal to spend a late night in that place
- caught tale of us, dixon and the Martinez bros two times each and loved it all. Heard a bunch of songs sure to be huge this summer but couldn't be arsed to shazam any
- watching a rammed amphitheatre go off for Richie Hawtin
- all the locals were really nice.
- there was a truck making fresh Wood-fired oven pizza. you had to order and wait like 20 mins but never did a party pizza taste so exquisite
- the Old Miami party was the highlight of the weekend. awesome people inside. Even the 1-hour wait to get in was awesome. You know it's going to be a great party when even the line to get in is fun. I walked over to a liquor store around the way and we all brown bagged beers in the sun listening to the music from over the fence. Toronto clubs should serve beer in the line
- finally getting to demf/movement after missing out forever.

Illogistix

TRIBE Member
Vice did a recap of its Movement highs and lows as well:

Movement Detroit Recap: Highlights and Lows | Thump

There were definitely a few EDM kids there (lots at the Moog stage), but they only accounted for a small percentage of the crowd. Maybe 20 percent? I loved that most people at this festival were in their late-20s, 30s and 40s. Veteran party crowd for sure, especially at the after parties.

I saw that guy at the Old Miami party get hauled off in an ambulance, but other than him, people were partying responsibly -- enjoying the warm sun and dancing to the music (I was there from 1 p.m. to about 7 and only caught the Martinez Bros. and Dixon).

But I even saw some families at the festival too. I was sitting in the Biergarten with my girlfriend on Sunday at around 3 p.m. and a family came and asked us if they could join us at the picnic table. A mom and dad, their two 18 or 19 year-old daughters and their son, who looked like he was 16. He asked his parents to take him for his birthday, so they all made a day of it. Amazing.

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
Loved it... will go back again for year 4...

Marco Carola was my set of the festival.

Loved DJ Heidi as well....

lockedgruv

TRIBE Member
first time I've ever heard prolonged sound issues at the main bowl (Red Bull Stage), effectively dampening great sets from the likes of Loco Dice, Carl Cox and parts of Digweed. that being said, it's really next to impossible to NOT enjoy yourself at Movement.

tobywan

TRIBE Member
- the weather was perfect.
- watching tankers cruise down the river from high on the steps at the Beatport stage
- caught tale of us, dixon and the Martinez bros two times each and loved it all. Heard a bunch of songs sure to be huge this summer but couldn't be arsed to shazam any
- watching a rammed amphitheatre go off for Richie Hawtin
- all the locals were really nice.
- the Old Miami party was the highlight of the weekend. awesome people inside. Even the 1-hour wait to get in was awesome. You know it's going to be a great party when even the line to get in is fun. I walked over to a liquor store around the way and we all brown bagged beers in the sun listening to the music from over the fence. Toronto clubs should serve beer in the line
- finally getting to demf/movement after missing out forever.
Wow, sounds like we both had very similar movement experiences as i can verify all the points above.

After years and years of missing out, I took the plunge this year and really glad I did. And you're right, Old Miami was easily the highlight of the weekend. Having DJ Tennis, DJ Three, The Martinez Brothers and Dixon play to an up for it crowd in what was essentially a backyard was fantastic.

Will definitely go back next year technics1200baconpan

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
first time I've ever heard prolonged sound issues at the main bowl (Red Bull Stage), effectively dampening great sets from the likes of Loco Dice, Carl Cox and parts of Digweed. that being said, it's really next to impossible to NOT enjoy yourself at Movement.
Agreed. Started to hear it during Digweed. Then Loco Dice and Carl Cox sounded all farty. I left back to the hotel during Cox's set. I heard they ended up fixing it, but it was all too late by that point.

Regardless. Movement is my kind of party.

I can't fathom going to another festival that is all pretentious and shit.

Amazing.

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
I was prob a few feet to the right of the dude who took this photo. it was during Dixon, some guy just belted out "fucking cocksucker.. didn't even vote for him either and he gets his own boat..." a few peeps around me whom were dancing on the steps just turned around all confused until I noticed the name on the ass end of the thing floating by and died laughing taking a bunch of pics. so good.

anyways first time checking it out. Loved it. VIP all the way. From better bathrooms to cheaper drinks to better and shaded chill areas. Action Bronson, Benoit and Sergio, Dixon, Daniel Avery, Sneak, Hawtin, Mills and Tiga all come to mind as great sets from what I remember hearing. 25oz king cans for 8 bucks don't hurt much either. kinda shit the bed on after parties since I was day drinking all day every day of the festival.. made it to maceo and sneak for the last after party. that was pretty good but Great Hall in T.Dot > St Andrews Hall for sure imo. Weather for sure was on point all weekend. 100% going next year. Missed a fuckload of tribers there after seeing pics n' shit on fb *shrugs* c'est la vie

Loopster

TRIBE Member
Wow. Can't believe it took so many years to get to Detroit, but I agree completely that the Old Miami party was BY FAR the highlight. I also have to add that the Soul Clap afterparty on Saturday night was pretty damn sweet as well. The venue, the crowd, the artists ... all good. We met fabulous & open types from Detroit and beyond, including various other states, the U.K., and Canada. I was so impressed by how much joy I got to witness and be a party to! The best part for me personally? Meeting Claude vonStroke in an elevator in the Westin, just seconds after expressing my excitement at getting to see both him & Green Velvet in 1 setting. :) Sheer bliss! I will definitely be back in 2015.

Loopster

TRIBE Member
How on earth do you people have enough energy to go to afterparties?
Give up some of the day time ... or do the daytime (i.e. Old Miami) & give up some of the night prior ... & PLAN well. ;) When we went to Old Miami at 10:00 a.m., we'd gone to bed at a very decent midnight-ish the night before. SO glad we made that choice. Sleep seems to be WAY more vital than I remember it being years ago.

Illogistix

TRIBE Member
Movement...anyone else go? 10 things that are still good about Detroit:

1. It was the 10-year anniversary of Movement (don't think that includes DEMF). The people still love techno.
2. I did a quick 36-hour trip. Something is always going on at Movement...No need to stay longer.
3. Detroit is full of friendly people. And there's lots of great stuff happening out of the recent economic hardships. New shops, even neighbourhoods on the come up. Nice to see that.
4. I am pretty sure I saw the U2Brother and that shiny helmet in the main arena on Sunday :)
5. Speaking of, Adam Beyer's Sunday night set in the main stage had the movement crowd moving. Hearing him play on that thundering soundsystem was awesome. Very heavy sounds.
6. The "Electric Tribe" after party was one for the books. When we arrived, Gene Farris was on the roof playing a great opener. They had set up the decks at the corner of the roof, so Gene was playing with a very cool backdrop of illuminated, grimy Detroit apartment blocks in behind him. At 2 am, they had to shut down the music, but all was well in the land because downstairs Kevin Saunderson was going b2b with Green Velvet, Gene Farris and Saunderson's kid Dantiez in a Detroit v Chicago masterclass. The four of them put on a show and had more fun than anyone in the crowd. A memorable night of old and new tracks. Very lively dancefloor.
7. Saw Mathew Jonson play live at Old Miami, which was very cool. Never seen him before.
8. Later, Seth Troxler jumped in to break up a brawl that had (inexplicably) erupted right in front of me. As he tried to get the giant goon who was fighting to leave, the guy turned around shoved him away. Troxler squared right up and Rougned Odor'd him on the chin with a heavy right hand. I wish I had my phone out to take a snap at the exact moment this idiot realized he got punched in the face by Seth Troxler.
9. Had lunch at Slows BBQ. Ribs, pulled pork and some sides, with local Bells lager. Very tasty!
10. There are still a lot of strange people in Detroit. But that's OK. Stay weird, Detroit.

[YOUTUBE]watch?v=Sb6Enmde-7M[/YOUTUBE]

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
Why are you bumping an old thread? start a new one.

Nope, i didn't go this year - I know Dmonic and Promise crew went down there. After last year's disaster, I will not be returning. They didn't do anything to compensate the attendees. Sketchy fucks.