• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Mountain Bikers...

Woody

TRIBE Member
Or any cyclists for that matter, can you recommend a good bike store in the downtown area, I already know about Dukes, but wasn't that happy with the quality of their service.
 
Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
The peddle some or another on the corner of Avenue and Davenport have been good to me. Just around the corner from me and always seem friendly.
 

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Dukes Dukes Dukes.

They're the only bike store in Toronto.

It can be hard to get their attention sometimes, especially at this time of year when everyone is gearing up for spring. Stick with it though, once you've been there a few times they'll recognize you and treat you like gold.

I like Reid or Gary for sales help. They know their shit and don't encourage you to buy something you don't need.

Peddlar cycles suck ass. They've got a big fancy store right near yorkville next door to the porsche dealership. If you're looking for something to put on top of your new Porsche SUV then they're your guys. I'm not even sure if the sales staff rides. If you want a good bike shop then Duke's are your guys, and they have the stuff that'll go on top of your porsche if you want to spend the money too.

The only problem with Duke's is they're not open too late on a weeknight, but that's minor. I can't wait to go there this weekend, I'm gonna check out a new road bike.

Be persistent, they're definitely worth it.
 

Incrimin8

TRIBE Member
Yonge and Steeles have 2 really good stores there...Silent Sports (north of steeles, right at next at of lights) and the Bike Depot (right on yonge, north of steeles).

The bike Depot has wicked Brodie bikes, downhill and cross country, Silent Sports has more variety for all around bikes.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Woody

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by I_bRAD
Dukes Dukes Dukes.

They're the only bike store in Toronto.

It can be hard to get their attention sometimes, especially at this time of year when everyone is gearing up for spring. Stick with it though, once you've been there a few times they'll recognize you and treat you like gold.

I like Reid or Gary for sales help. They know their shit and don't encourage you to buy something you don't need.

Peddlar cycles suck ass. They've got a big fancy store right near yorkville next door to the porsche dealership. If you're looking for something to put on top of your new Porsche SUV then they're your guys. I'm not even sure if the sales staff rides. If you want a good bike shop then Duke's are your guys, and they have the stuff that'll go on top of your porsche if you want to spend the money too.

The only problem with Duke's is they're not open too late on a weeknight, but that's minor. I can't wait to go there this weekend, I'm gonna check out a new road bike.

Be persistent, they're definitely worth it.

The problem I had with Dukes wasn't the wait, it was the fact that three weeks after my tune up, it was like my bike had never been tuned at all.

I would have taken it back there, but I was afraid the same thing would happen again.
 

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Woody
The problem I had with Dukes wasn't the wait, it was the fact that three weeks after my tune up, it was like my bike had never been tuned at all.

I would have taken it back there, but I was afraid the same thing would happen again.

Hmmm. That's odd. The only work I've ever had done there was to have them change my headset cups since they're a press fit and I didn't want to mess up my frame (that I love) and they did an OK job on that. They did throw the fork on when they installed the headset (I was buying a new fork too) and they didn't tighten the stem properly. They probably assumed I'd check it (I did) since the bike still needed to be put together, but If I hadn't checked that it could have been quite dangerous.

What is wrong with your tune up? What kind of components do you have? Do you ride it hard?

What does Duke's say about the problem?

Anyhow, bike maintenance is really simple and I'd be glad to show you how to do it if you'd like to save some money and not be at the mercy of the bike shop. There are some specialized tools, but nothing exotic. You can get good tools at MEC and you can buy the whole set for the price of a few tune ups.

Do you ride in the Don Valley?
 

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
THE BIKE SHOW IS COMING UP THIS NEXT WEEKEND (MARCH 5,6,7) AT THE CANADIAN NATIONAL EXHIBITION PLACE. YOU CAN GET THE BEST DEALS OF THE YEAR THERE. DO IT! DO IT! DOOOO EEEEEETTT!!!!

I'll give the info for this later, when i'm home.









I've only let a shop do repairs on my bike, when i needed my wheels to be trued. I would never go to a BS for anything else.
That's pretty much pissing away your money.

At this point, there's very little i can fix. I've done it all.
Rebuilt a suspension fork, Built a Wheel, Repacked Bearings, Built a bike from ground up....

as I_Brad says... it's really easy... at the most, (in most cases) you call a friend if you need help. Tools are generally cheaper than the work you would pay to have done. MEC is pretty good for tools, not so entirely great for the parts tho. They're better for tires, and non-mechanical gear.



Stores i recommend
- Racer Sportif (Bloor/Jane)
- Sports Swap (Yonge/Eglinton)
- Silent Sports (Doncaster [thornhill])
- Boyd's source (Stouffville)
- Northern Sports (Ajax)
- Cycle Solutions (Parliament) <== only if you're into non-mainstream mountain biking, they cater to the trials and big-hit crowd

That's all i have to say at this point.



- The "Biking Is My Zen" Tesseract
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

SpaceBabe

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Incrimin8
Yonge and Steeles have 2 really good stores there...Silent Sports (north of steeles, right at next at of lights) and the Bike Depot (right on yonge, north of steeles).

The bike Depot has wicked Brodie bikes, downhill and cross country, Silent Sports has more variety for all around bikes.


Silent Sports.. yay. Do they still make their Thin Blue Line? I had a great TBL for about 4 years, and it was stolen just last summer.

I'm looking for another great bike. I've been thinking about going for a FS bike so that I can do DH as well as XC and then just sell my DH bike all together.

What's a GOOD hard tail for a 5'2 female? I would like to look into getting a Santa Cruz.

Also.. in your opinion.. do you think it is cheaper to custom make your own bike.. or to just buy it packaged.
 

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Tesseract
[B
Stores i recommend
- Racer Sportif (Bloor/Jane)
- Sports Swap (Yonge/Eglinton)
- Silent Sports (Doncaster [thornhill])
- Boyd's source (Stouffville)
- Northern Sports (Ajax)
- Cycle Solutions (Parliament) <== only if you're into non-mainstream mountain biking, they cater to the trials and big-hit crowd
[/B]

What's Racer Sportif like? I just moved near there and I haven't checked it out yet. Any recommendations on a good place for a road bike? I know Duke's has what I want, but not sure where else (Racer Sportif sounds like a roadie place) I'm looking for something fairly high end.
 

Lurker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by SpaceBabe
Silent Sports.. yay. Do they still make their Thin Blue Line? I had a great TBL for about 4 years, and it was stolen just last summer.

I'm looking for another great bike. I've been thinking about going for a FS bike so that I can do DH as well as XC and then just sell my DH bike all together.

What's a GOOD hard tail for a 5'2 female? I would like to look into getting a Santa Cruz.

Also.. in your opinion.. do you think it is cheaper to custom make your own bike.. or to just buy it packaged.

If you'd be interested in a used bike, I have one for sale and can send you pics later. I have over $1200 into it but would be willing to let it go for cheap. It's an older high-end Norco with all kinds of goodies. There was thread in the buy/sell a while ago.

Paul (sorry for the thread hi-jack)
 

Woody

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by I_bRAD
Hmmm. That's odd. The only work I've ever had done there was to have them change my headset cups since they're a press fit and I didn't want to mess up my frame (that I love) and they did an OK job on that. They did throw the fork on when they installed the headset (I was buying a new fork too) and they didn't tighten the stem properly. They probably assumed I'd check it (I did) since the bike still needed to be put together, but If I hadn't checked that it could have been quite dangerous.

What is wrong with your tune up? What kind of components do you have? Do you ride it hard?

What does Duke's say about the problem?

Anyhow, bike maintenance is really simple and I'd be glad to show you how to do it if you'd like to save some money and not be at the mercy of the bike shop. There are some specialized tools, but nothing exotic. You can get good tools at MEC and you can buy the whole set for the price of a few tune ups.

Do you ride in the Don Valley?

I don't really ride hard, I have a 15 year old Meile mountain bike, which doesn't have suspension on it at all. I mostly use it to ride back and forth to work, which is why I am in the market for a new bike.

The issue that I had was with the smoothnessof the gear changes, I found that at first it was great, but after the first couple of weeks, it started skipping gears and such. I did have a major tune done to it the year before, and had most of the hardware replaced on the bike, so in reality on the frame is 15 years old, the rest of it is only a couple of years old now.
 

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Humanjava
The peddle some or another on the corner of Avenue and Davenport have been good to me. Just around the corner from me and always seem friendly.


its peddler cycle. Good guys and they always have had time for me. For the record though I had good experiences with Dukes to. To bad I don't race anymore and get sponserd cuZ I can use a new bike.

arrrg
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Woody
I don't really ride hard, I have a 15 year old Meile mountain bike, which doesn't have suspension on it at all. I mostly use it to ride back and forth to work, which is why I am in the market for a new bike.

The issue that I had was with the smoothnessof the gear changes, I found that at first it was great, but after the first couple of weeks, it started skipping gears and such. I did have a major tune done to it the year before, and had most of the hardware replaced on the bike, so in reality on the frame is 15 years old, the rest of it is only a couple of years old now.

Hey!

I've got an old Miele bike laying around... my very first "real" mountain bike. Mine's only about 13 years old though!

Did they put new shifter cables on when they did the tune up? New cables stretch a bit, and then pretty much come to a point where they don't stretch much anymore. New cables stretching could be the cause of your problem.

Either way, very simple adjustment. There is a barrel adjuster where the cable goes into your rear derailleur. Turn that in the direction you want the chain to go. For example, if you're skipping when you shift to a larger cog on the back, then turn the adjuster counter-clockwise (looking from the back of the bike towards the front. If you're having trouble shifting to a smaller gear, turn it the other way. You'll only need to turn it a fraction of a turn- try it, then adjust as necessary until its how you like it.

Don't touch the two phillps screws on your derailleur for this adjustment, those are the upper and lower limits.If you adjust those you'll affect how far your derailler can go before it shifts the chain right off the gears (and if you're lucky, not into your spokes!)

Good luck!
 

Woody

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by I_bRAD
Hey!

I've got an old Miele bike laying around... my very first "real" mountain bike. Mine's only about 13 years old though!

Did they put new shifter cables on when they did the tune up? New cables stretch a bit, and then pretty much come to a point where they don't stretch much anymore. New cables stretching could be the cause of your problem.

Either way, very simple adjustment. There is a barrel adjuster where the cable goes into your rear derailleur. Turn that in the direction you want the chain to go. For example, if you're skipping when you shift to a larger cog on the back, then turn the adjuster counter-clockwise (looking from the back of the bike towards the front. If you're having trouble shifting to a smaller gear, turn it the other way. You'll only need to turn it a fraction of a turn- try it, then adjust as necessary until its how you like it.

Don't touch the two phillps screws on your derailleur for this adjustment, those are the upper and lower limits.If you adjust those you'll affect how far your derailler can go before it shifts the chain right off the gears (and if you're lucky, not into your spokes!)

Good luck!

thanks dude, yeah I had all of the cables (brake and shifter) relaced. I really had everything but the frame replaced, I would have had the forks done too, but because of the age of the bike, the newer forks weren't compatible with my bike.
 

kuba

TRIBE Member
I bought a brand new 2001 M4 s-works from dukes. Haggled with them for a bit, and everything was ok.

3 months later, went back in to get some service on the breaks, and they treated me as if I stole the bike cuz I wasnt one of those spandex-clad mountain bikers that SHOULD be riding this bike (allthough Im probably 10x better than them on the trails, where it coutns, but not in the fashion department, where it doesnt)
 

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by qtip
I bought a brand new 2001 M4 s-works from dukes. Haggled with them for a bit, and everything was ok.

3 months later, went back in to get some service on the breaks, and they treated me as if I stole the bike cuz I wasnt one of those spandex-clad mountain bikers that SHOULD be riding this bike (allthough Im probably 10x better than them on the trails, where it coutns, but not in the fashion department, where it doesnt)

I'm one of those Spandex Clad riders who SHOULD be riding that bike... maybe that's why I get treated well when I go in.
You know, there are advantages to spandex and I'd say that fashion is the LEAST of them. I know plenty of guys (and gals) who won't wear spandex 'cause of the way they look in it.

Once you go for a ride in it you won't go back. Very effective moisture transfer- you'll feel like you're riding naked (except your bits and pieces aren't bouncing around) and no more shorts hanging up on your saddle when you have to get behind the seat on a downhill.

To be fair to Dukes... most people riding a bike of that caliber can and do adjust their own brakes- and will need it before 3 months pass. Not that this is acceptable customer service, but no doubt the guys in there would love to have a bike like that and can't afford it- and then some yahoo comes in and can't even adjust his own brakes. That's the way they're seeing it I'm sure. With passion, sometimes there's snobbery.

I've seen plenty of good riders who ride strong regardless of what they're on, but there's some guys at Duke's that'll pass you on one wheel while you're going flat out. ;)
 

kuba

TRIBE Member
I didnt have time or patience to do my own brakes. I expected better service. At least a "hey hows the bike working out?" but instead I got "when did you buy this?"
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by I_bRAD
Once you go for a ride in it you won't go back. Very effective moisture transfer- you'll feel like you're riding naked (except your bits and pieces aren't bouncing around) and no more shorts hanging up on your saddle when you have to get behind the seat on a downhill.

I need to pick up some padded moisture wicking spandexy riding shorts...Any idea of where to get them for a decent price?
 

juice

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Tesseract
Stores i recommend
- Racer Sportif (Bloor/Jane)
- Sports Swap (Yonge/Eglinton)
- Silent Sports (Doncaster [thornhill])
- Boyd's source (Stouffville)
- Northern Sports (Ajax)
- Cycle Solutions (Parliament) <== only if you're into non-mainstream mountain biking, they cater to the trials and big-hit crowd

That's all i have to say at this point.



- The "Biking Is My Zen" Tesseract
I'd actually NOT recommend Racer Sportif (which is at Bloor and Runnymede). Overpriced and they did a craptastic job on a tuneup for my bike.
 

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by qtip
I didnt have time or patience to do my own brakes. I expected better service. At least a "hey hows the bike working out?" but instead I got "when did you buy this?"

That's shitty service. I'll admit I have seen one of the guys be downright offensive to a customer before... but stick with the guys I mentioned before and you're good. (I'm not sure if Reid still works there, I haven't been in since last summer. Gary will be since he runs the place)

I'll post instructions on how to adjust your brakes real quickly if you'd like... It'll take me longer to type it out than it does to do it, so I'll post after work. Really though, unless you live across the street from Dukes and they're expecting you it'll be quicker to do it yourself (and cheaper!)

So... how DID the bike work out?

All this bike talk has me itching for spring!
 

SpaceBabe

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by R4V4G3D_SKU11S
I need to pick up some padded moisture wicking spandexy riding shorts...Any idea of where to get them for a decent price?

I find MEC has decent prices.

And a somewhat decent selection.

MEC proshort.. mmmm solid padding. :D

I wear the damn shorts because the chafing without them REALLY lasts weeks after. OUCH.

Damn.. and I have to go out and buy a new GIRO seat.. those are some comfy seats.
 

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by SpaceBabe
I find MEC has decent prices.

And a somewhat decent selection.

MEC proshort.. mmmm solid padding. :D

I wear the damn shorts because the chafing without them REALLY lasts weeks after. OUCH.

Damn.. and I have to go out and buy a new GIRO seat.. those are some comfy seats.

Yeah, the MEC shorts aren't bad, and the price is good too.
I LOVE my Pearl Izumi shorts, but they're pricey and apparently they don't fit so nice if you don't have a specific body type. You've gotta try them all and see what fits you best.

I didn't know GIRO made seats! I've gotta get a new one for my mountain bike this year too. I've heard good reviews on the specialized saddle from women so you might want to check that one out!
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
Top