• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Motorola Announces Project Ara - If this happens im buying one.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
[Holy Shit] Motorola Announces Project Ara, An Open, Modular Smartphone Hardware Platform

Here's what Ara is, according to Motorola:

The design for Project Ara consists of what we call an endoskeleton (endo) and modules. The endo is the structural frame that holds all the modules in place. A module can be anything, from a new application processor to a new display or keyboard, an extra battery, a pulse oximeter--or something not yet thought of!

Motorola isn't just taking the Phonebloks vision and running with it. The company will be working with Phonebloks and its developer community to make a modular phone possible. Motorola will soon start seeking input from so-called Ara Scouts to help the Google subsidiary shape the future of Project Ara. In a few months, Motorola will begin inviting developers to design modules for the Ara platform – a Module Developer's Kit (MDK) could be ready as soon as this winter.

It almost goes without saying, but if Motorola (with Google's backing) can make this work, it's going to be an honest-to-goodness revolution in the smartphone industry. Want a better camera, but don't need much storage? You can spend big on the image sensor and cheap-out on the NAND. Speaker in your phone busted? Just disconnect it and add a new module. Rather than buy a whole new phone, you could simply upgrade the parts you want.

It's also worth noting the crowd-sourced "Thunderclap" campaign for Phonebloks is happening in about 9 hours. So, the timing here seems very convenient. This idea sounds insane, but maybe it has a real shot now.

been following the phonebloks concept for a while now and very intriguing concept, if this is true and Motorola with Google backing it and working with the Phonebloks developer community, this could be something else.

Hardware customize your phone? YES PLEASE !

kyfe

TRIBE Member
this is amazing news and if successful will shape the way we purchased cell phones in the future. it's like the old PC compnent config days

praktik

TRIBE Member
What do you mean "old"?

I'm still building my PCs by hand... Still getting by on a Core 2 Quad a few Intel gens back on the strength of beefier other components i have upgraded, mainly the GPU...

WElcome news! THis sounds pretty cool - would be neat to get audiophile modules with better audio circuitry

octo

TRIBE Member
lego phone!

pretty awesome if the quality, fit/finish is on par with standard consumer smart phones.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
What do you mean "old"?

I'm still building my PCs by hand... Still getting by on a Core 2 Quad a few Intel gens back on the strength of beefier other components i have upgraded, mainly the GPU...

WElcome news! THis sounds pretty cool - would be neat to get audiophile modules with better audio circuitry
fair enough but in my case I haven't touched a modded PC in over a decade

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Dialog

TRIBE Member
lego phone!

pretty awesome if the quality, fit/finish is on par with standard consumer smart phones.
And therein lies the rub: for these things to work they are going to have to be manufactured with the precision of any top-tier smartphone, which are incredibly expensive but (partially) made up on volumes. It will be interesting to see component prices on the first few rounds of hardware, esp. if the concept doesn't see massive adoption.

We also know that integrated SOCs allow the hardware to move along in performance; this is bringing smartphones into the PC realm of attaching newer devices to legacy busses.

Also, there is no way this is going to be as slim as an SIV or iPhone 5s... those numerous layers of casing are going to add precious milimeters of thickness. Be honest, when you see 3 year old phones, you think "man that looks bulky". Not saying people won't like the overall concept or a bit or added thickness but the mockups shown are just that. Curious to see how the externally mounted hardware (as the mockups suggest) will withstand drops. "OMG I lost my GSM radio when I dropped my phone on the subway!"

Will you be able to, like, seriously tweak the bootdrive?