1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Moths. Why are they everywhere?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by alexd, Apr 11, 2010.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

I have had a few moths flying around the house this last week, at night mostly. This is the first year I have seen them. They are pretty slow so I have swatted like half a dozen, but they keep coming back. WTF.

2. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

do they look like this ?
    [​IMG]

3. alexd

i think that's them, although the ones I have seen up close have been squished.

4. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

indian meal moth.
    they love dried foods, rice, cereal.
    they also lay close to 400 eggs.
    go thru everything listed above, and check it.
    throw everything out.

5. solacevip

solacevip TRIBE Promoter

Often times folks bring these bugs back from the grocery store. Buy an electric zapping racquet. They work great.

6. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

you may see white little wormy crawly things with a black head.
    it's the larva.
    smoosh every one.

that zappy racquet thing doesn't solve the problem...eliminating their food source does.

7. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

fry em up with a little butter, chop up some leeks, and toss in about a half-cup of mealy moths. soooo good. noms.

8. alexd

WTF! Mealy moths!

I raided my cupboard and the only unsealed thing was an old, forgotten bag of basmati rice at the very back, which is where I found the hive or whatever the fuck its called. Out to the garbage it went.

Apparently they don't like bay leafs so I scattered a few of those in my cupboard to piss off any stragglers.

9. dj_soo

dj_soo TRIBE Member

been dealing with those on and off for a couple of years now. pain in the ass and notoriously hard to get rid of.

Dump any grains that have been sitting around for longer than a couple months, seal up everything else and keep an eye out for cocoons and larvae.

apparently the larvae can get into the darndest places including getting through a lot of plastics and some tupperware. Best to go with screw-top glass jars...

10. Bacchus

Bacchus TRIBE Promoter

i've never had a problem with these.

Now weevils, on the other hand...

11. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

oh and save the powder from their wings (makes a good popcorn seasoning)

12. Cheer Bear

Cheer Bear TRIBE Member

*shudder*

13. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

dude I dealt with those for many months. Up the cleaning tempo in the kitchen but check EVEN SEALED BAGS.

There was a box of cereal I hadn't even opened yet, and they managed to penetrate the plastic bag, when I went for my first bowl of cereal I opened up the bag only to basically see a shuddering mass of moths and larvae....

so you may even want to toss your sealed shit.

How did I finally get rid of them?

I moved.

14. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

these were 5 - 6 inches wide and 3 - 4 inches wide respectively.

they would eat you.

[jai]

15. alexd

I threw everything except tins out. I don't have anything in bags. I hope I'll be OK.

16. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Don't get them mad though. They might call their leader:

[​IMG]

17. dj_soo

dj_soo TRIBE Member

chances are they'll come back every so often - takes a couple purges to really get rid of em all...

18. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

lol godzilla looks like he was caught off guard, and sort of like "goo! a moth!"

19. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

Is there an odorless way of warding off moths from closets/drawers/kitchen cabinets? Moth balls suck.

20. alexd

Bay leaves?

21. alexd

I eat out a lot, buy fresh each day or 2, and bbq the rest so there are never dry goods or grain or even cereal in my cupboards - except for that forgotten bag of rice an ex girlfriend had left in my kitchen.

It is the first time I have ever seen or heard or these things! At least they weren't eating my clothes too.

22. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Was your ex asian by any chance??

23. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

clothes moths =\= food moths
    different types of moths.

clothes moths can be warded off with cedar but I don't know there's much you can do about the grain ones - they usually come in with a package.

24. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

are you still on good terms with her? or did it end like this:

"forgot your stupid bag of rice fuckin bitch!"

:D

25. alexd

no, she was a pious vegan