1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

most creative samples you ever made?

Discussion in 'Electronic Music Producers Forum' started by Sal De Ban, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

I like to make my own samples - and creativity is key. what are some of your most creative (not non-secret) ideas?

[​IMG]

note: this is not me

2. rulz

rulz TRIBE Member

sampling farts and then reversing them will give quite a thump and warmth to basslines

3. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

^^ kids, if you do this at home, wrap the mic in t.p. first!

I don't know if this is 'creative' per se, but I had the foresight to bring my field recorder to the rainforest when I was in Costa Rica. Got some wild sounds of bugs up close, odd birds, random spanish chatter, etc. fun times. at night, the sound was basically a "wall of insects" effect.

4. rulz

rulz TRIBE Member

nice layering

nice ! how did you utilize those ?

5. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

i am making kind of a psychedelic deep house tune, and not doing too much to the samples effects-wise. i remember standing at the foot of this impenetrable jungle wall, at midnight (sun sets around 6pm), and the sound of the insects was so overwhelming, like they were on a huge soundsystem with buggy bass bins. yes, even some of the bug-sounds were 'bassey'. it was unreal.

6. DoubleDown

DoubleDown TRIBE Member

Muppet Show Theme Song.... really.

+Cut
    +Filter
    +Warmth
    +Shaper
    +Modulation
    +Loop

= Bumping bassline!

7. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Once I spent an afternoon recording different turntable and mixer sounds. Like the popping sound when you press the power button on some mixers and blowing/rubbing on needles, putting the needle in a groove with the record stopped and drumming on the turntable etc.... Great for gritty techno sounds.

8. maphi

maphi TRIBE Member

I once had a live chicken named Henrietta brought into the control room of a studio in California. I miked her up using a Mojave tube mic while the producer I was working with squeezed her to make her cluck. I took the best bits of that recording and built a loop for an 8 bar country-ish breakdown in a song (kind of a crazy Mr. Bungle-ish tune).

9. mrtunes

mrtunes TRIBE Member

i can't remember many crazy samples i've made personally, but i once used some crazy samples in an unexpected way.

you seen the thingamagoop synthesizer? i never really found a use for the wacky sounds the v.1 device made. i was once working on a score for a short film and a track needed something extra on the top end, so i recorded that. when i played it back for the director he says i love that sound you added, and my thingamagoop was right there so i showed him what it was, and he cracked up.

[​IMG]

10. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

funny shit. it kind of resembles the guy in the gas mask pic.

11. maphi

maphi TRIBE Member

The thingamagoop is awesome. I just discovered it a month ago myself.

12. mrtunes

mrtunes TRIBE Member

i want the new version - apparently they really kicked it up a few notches :)

13. SubMissioN

SubMissioN TRIBE Member

I wanted a sample in Lofi so I recorded some of my telephone conversations with friends on an old memo scribe cassette deck that had tone and pitch adjustment.
    They came with a mic and a pedal used in court to record cases or in meetings to record phone calls. Anyhow, the best part is I was able to record only the person I was speaking to because I was using voip.
    So I would then run these conversations through some voice efx and substitute my portion of the conversation which was originally missing with some completely different content.
    After a bit editing, a touch of reverb and delay, I was able to come up with some really interesting stuff.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  14. SubMissioN

SubMissioN TRIBE Member

Here it is this + voip + efx = fun. Then just use it to make a crazy overdubbed videos and post it on Youtube and surprise your friends that very same day.

[​IMG]

15. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

i forget who it was that made a minimal tech album of only surgical tools, but i think it was called 'first cut' . but i have a reputation for having a not so great memory about names....i do correctly remember it being good though. which is what counts.

16. maphi

maphi TRIBE Member

Are you thinking of Matmos? "A chance to cut is a chance to cure" is the album. It's fantastic. They've also done an album of sounds relating to fast food (scrunching food wrappers, pulling straws out of cups etc), and one called 'Civil War' where it was all war related sounds. They also did all the programming and production for Bjork's Vespertine album, which is also amazing.