1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

More than 350 pets to be euthanized by OSPCA?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Chris, May 11, 2010.

1. Chris

Chris Well-Known TRIBEr

Drastic measures for a curable/treatable infection

More than 350 pets to be euthanized by OSPCA
    By Chris Higgins May 11, 2010 – 9:58 am

An outbreak of ringworm at the Newmarket OSPCA means 350 animals will be euthanized.

Staff have unsuccessfully attempted to eliminate the infection, according to reports. Dogs and cats will be the main victims but all other animals within the shelter — except turtles — are going to be put down. Ringworm is a fungal infection that can also affect humans.

Read more: More than 350 pets to be euthanized by OSPCA | National Post
  2. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

Shit happens.
  3. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

will i get ringworm if i french-kiss an infected turtle?

seriously tho. sad times.
  4. Chris

Chris Well-Known TRIBEr

only if you deep throat the turtle
  5. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

hmm for me that's an uncomfortable level of commitment.
  6. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

isn't there some drug company, with millions of dollars to spare on ad campaigns, that can donate some vaccines to this cause???
  7. Musical Rush

Musical Rush TRIBE Member

I see you finally came out of your shell. ;)

8. Aerius Zension

Aerius Zension TRIBE Member

Exactly. What a great oppty for good press.
  9. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

What, and then we're supposed to stand idly by while Big Pharma shoots up innocent pets with KILLER VACCINES??

I dunno if you've ever had to deal with an autistic dog but I tellz ya you'll be happy if they let you know its time to let them outside to pee and you can fuggetabout teaching the Rainman dog to roll over!!
  10. rubytuesday

rubytuesday TRIBE Member

11. KodiaK

KodiaK TRIBE Member

im a cat and dog fan. I looooovove animals and all that shit.

But honestly, i heard about this earlier tonight while working and listening to 640am when this topic came up... and i couldnt feel a damn thing about it. At all.

The so called 'protesters' that showed up. Couldnt give 2 shits about them. At all. More or less ANYONE ELSE in regards to this story.

What i want to know is why people FLIP THE FUCK OUT when shit like this is announced, and yet these are the same group of assclowns that wont go up to the fucking animal shelter to adopt.

these are the types of people that only give a fuck about a controversy, and they show up at their own convenience to make a mountain out of a ant hill. Nothing more.

p.s. i hate hippies. I hate activist hippies. With that said, it dont take absoultely f and all away from my argument.

double p.s.s.s.s..s.s.s.s. I bet the vaccine costs a shitload more than it does to kill the infected animals... also, goddamn animals at these shelters get killed all the goddamn time. "oh this dog has been here for 3 months! we are out of room!!! what should we do!!?!?!?"

"kill that one over there, he's been here for 3.5 months, we need the room!!"

(might not exactly go down like that btw...)

so why protest now? during this time? only to cause shit in the media. Nothing more.
    fucking hippie protesting media whores. Nothing more.

nothing to see here. </beer>
  12. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

alot of the protesters there were stay at home soccer moms
  13. [- FuNKtiOn -]

[- FuNKtiOn -] TRIBE Member

I read that 6 of the OSPCA workers contracted the ringworm as well. occupational hazard I suppose.
  14. MissBlu

MissBlu TRIBE Member

this makes me so, so, sad.

15. LeoGirl

LeoGirl TRIBE Member

I'm kind of feeling the same as Kodiak. I'm a huge animal lover, but Come. On. People calling it a slaughter? Are you kidding me?

A friend works as the OSPCA in Newmarket and now has to go through security checks to get into work because of the protesters. Why are they harassing him, he's just the fucking IT guy.

I read that one of the higher ups got canned because of this. Not saying that it makes the situation better, but clearly someone fucked up, they couldn't get it under control, staff ended up getting it and someone has to make a call.

For all the people jumping on the protest bandwagon... pick a one that's worth something. These animals are being put down, without pain. Why not protest for the animals that REALLY need it. The Puppy Mills, the Dog Fights, the Bears & Baboons being held in chains, starved and tortured so they can street fight in some god forsaken country somewhere.

This isn't cruel. It's not completely necessary either as it is ringworm, but it's a call that's been made to keep the employees at the OSPCA out of risk. Quit your fucking whining and protest something that really matters.
  16. swenard

swenard TRIBE Member

Me too! Like what did they do to deserve this!

All they did was come to work and these damn, ungrateful, animals gave them ringworm!!!
  17. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

above message not approved by Heineken.
  18. swenard

swenard TRIBE Member

It was tongue in cheek to her post being right below the one about OSPCA workers getting ringworm.
  19. MissBlu

MissBlu TRIBE Member

i wasn't referring to the workers getting ringworm or i would have quoted it.
    i'm sad for the animals. they should have been helped.

clarification - ringworm sucks for people too.
  20. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

We don't know exactly what's been going on in the shelter but I would imagine this is the sort of thing that, when it gets out of control to the point that humans are getting infected, and presumably animals are getting reinfected almost as quickly as they're cured... they very likely simply don't have the resources (read: staff) to deal with the problem and still be able to function otherwise (intake of new animals, adoptions, regular care and feeding). Very likely they're looking at the chaos erupting in their midst and decided the best thing for everyone is to kill all the animals, scrub the place down top to bottom, and start again fresh and hope it doesn't come back. I can't imagine this is easy for any of them, heartbreaking most likely. But they simply can't continue to operate as a shelter under these conditions.
  21. Musical Rush

From what I saw on the news some of those protesters( 20 I believe) are the people who volunteer at the shelter. These are the same people who blew the whistle on the OSPCA. <<< these fucks tried to keep it quiet.

Now that the word really got out they're trying to save face by saying not all of the animals will be put down, at least 20 will be saved. :rolleyes:

A vet was on animal house call, cp24, he was saying it would cost around $200 a month per animal to get rid of the ringworm. That's at customers cost, a shelters cost would probably be $100 per month( probably less). They could send these animals out to a different location to get fixed. It would only take roughly 2 months to get rid of.

Who gives a shit about the employees, this was caused by human error to begin with, they fucking deserve ringworm, too bad they didn't get Rabies too. The employees should be put down.
  22. MissBlu

MissBlu TRIBE Member

whoah dude.

most of the people there are unpaid VOLUNTEERS who many people have heard that they did the best they could. most of the people that are there (employees, volunteers) have no choice but to follow the instructions that they are provided. they can only work with the resources given to them.

before you say that they should be put down, are you able to provide the $100/month for each animal? are you able to volunteer your time at a shelter?

it is a really terrible and sad situation, but don't paint them all with the same brush. there were many people there that cared.
  23. Pottsie

Pottsie TRIBE Member

This is really heartbreaking. Such a waste of lives.
  24. Musical Rush

For the $100 per month, since it was the *paid* employees fault, they should donate the $100 out of each pay check until the problem is solved. I wasn't talking about the volunteers. I'm sure what they pay for medication is a fraction of what we would pay. In this case other locations might have chipped in, but the OSPCA thought it would be a better idea to keep everything quiet for as long as they could. If they said something at the very beginning, other shelters have come forward in saying they would've taken some of the animals. For some reason the piece of shit who is running the show rather kill the innocent animals.

Yes I used to volunteer my evenings and rainy days, dog training and doggy daycare. I put my name in at the T.H.S, but this was just before the bomb went off so I turned it down.
  25. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

how about ppl stop getting pets and then tossing them aside when they become inconvenient, and also get the thing fixed if you dont want pups or kittens
    just a thought