• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

more docks VS the island people - Complaints cite booming bass

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
"Active noise cancellation, on the other hand, is far more complicated and involves some serious science.

First, tiny microphones, one on each earpiece, detect ambient noise before it gets to your ears. Then the noise-cancellation circuitry, usually housed in an external module, essentially inverts the captured signal, turning the noise's sound wave upside down. Before you know it, the noise-cancellation system adds the sonic opposite of the external noise to whatever you're listening to, thereby eliminating most of the pollution and leaving you with just your music.

Physical limitations make absolutely perfect noise cancellation impossible, but some of the noise-canceling headphones we tested did a great job without adversely affecting the music. . "

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

billy

TRIBE Member
Wow. Not this again.

The article is true in that we have installed a sound level monitoring system inside the club as well as multiple microphones placed around the perimeter of the complex. An individual from the city comes every night that we use the soundsystem and takes their own readings as well. We are very familiar with Kate from the island. She didn't even like the old soundsystem.

We use closed soundcurtains on all windows at night. We're trying everything we can without having the system so low that it's not fun any more.

Isosceles_CAT

TRIBE Promoter
Simple fact: If you are on the island late at night when the docks is open, you can hear really loud shitty dance music and it's extremely annoying. It is a totally unacceptable situation. Fucking children need to grow up.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Maybe they should stop blasting music on the patio.

*shrug*

I think fucked up and drunk partiers are not gonna notice a subtle volume change.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ev
Fuck those cunts on the islands... you want quite, move to the fucking suburbs. You can't handle noise, you maybe you shouldn't have moved 750 metres away from downtown Toronto.

Dood, island people have been living there WAY before anything was established in Toronto.
Some people have been living there for over 60 years.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Tesseract
Or maybe... the islanders can use better sound proofing in their houses.

I noted this in the previous thread: I live on the edge of Scarborough between the bluffs and the Beaches.. So Upper Beaches..

And we HEARD the music (the rave that someone overdosed and died at) at my house.

There were numerous noise complaints that night. Even from Toronto residents.

billy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MoFo
I noted this in the previous thread: I live on the edge of Scarborough between the bluffs and the Beaches.. So Upper Beaches..

And we HEARD the music (the rave that someone overdosed and died at) at my house.

There were numerous noise complaints that night. Even from Toronto residents.

that event was an exception because it was outside and a syrous party, not one of ours. besides, that was years ago. I also don't remember anyone dying at that party.

the music on the patio is only an issue on Sundays in the summer. Even then, the speakers are turned facing the club and not the island. the rest of the time the speakers are just little JBLs that provide background sound for the daytime.

AshG

Originally posted by beaker
i state this before: an ambient city wash at 43 dB does NOT sound like a persistent on/off thumping at 43 dB. there is a huge difference and, psychologically, the thumping is going to disturb people a lot more than a constant broadband noise. you can test this at home. have your roomate crank the television in the other room, and then try it with house music. chances are you can sleep to the television easier than you can to a kick drum.

i'm not arguing this.

what i am saying is that, if you're an islander, how do you prove that there is noticeable sound interference if the only way sound intensity can be measured is precisely by the dB reading?

you can't prosecute for the nature of sound - just the severity.

MalGlo

TRIBE Member
fawk not this arguement again....

maybe we should turn the island into the newage atlantis and sink the fawking thing.. or at least the part with the houses...

Caz

TRIBE Member
this is fucking sad. turn the god dammed music down for christ sake and let these people live. The docks remind me of a very large version of a highschool party full of ignorant kids with a "well fuck you too" attitude

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Anybody who's been on a lake where one cottage is having a party late at night should understand what sound travelling across water sounds like. Imagine that EVERY night. I side with the Islanders.

billy

TRIBE Member
the soundsystem is not used every night, even in the summer.

well if the islanders do win I won't have a job anymore nor will the 300 people they employ in the summer. i hope that makes them happy.

beaker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by alexd
"Active noise cancellation, on the other hand, is far more complicated and involves some serious science.

well inverting the polarity on a pair of headphones isn't really all that "serious". but building a pair of headphones that effectively encapsulates an entire island could be sorta tricky.

beaker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by AshG
i'm not arguing this.

what i am saying is that, if you're an islander, how do you prove that there is noticeable sound interference if the only way sound intensity can be measured is precisely by the dB reading?

you can't prosecute for the nature of sound - just the severity.

correct me if i'm wrong, but are you suggesting that because they technically have nothing to back up their argument, they should just clam up?

i don't know the exact language of the by-law, but it should definitely account for the nature of noise. it's just common sense.

anyways, i side with the islanders. they might be whiny bitches but i've lived next to nightclubs before and it fucking sucks. i don't think most people here appreciate that.

basilisk

TRIBE Member
If they don't like it they can go cry to North Korea.

Nah I think this blows... the island is a great little place...

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member

there's never been an overdose death at the docks. (unless i'm forgetting something.)

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
Dood, island people have been living there WAY before anything was established in Toronto.
Some people have been living there for over 60 years.

good for them, I'll be ure to go over there soetime this week and give them all stickers. Doesn;t change the fact that they coose to live basically in a city... you cant expect a city of over 2 million people to watch everything they do because of a few hundred cunts that still think they live in the fucking country., The can make whatever argument they want, the fact is they still live basically downtown. you don't like the noise, do whateveryone else does and move to the burbs.

race

TRIBE Member
stupid hippies

regardless, the docks use of land is perfectly legal. as far as i know they're not doing anything that goes beyond what the citys zoning allows.
too bad for the islanders. but come on. they shouldn't even be living there! isn't it public land? they don't pay land tax. i'm divided on the issues but right now i think they should bugger off.

Renton

TRIBE Member
Re: stupid hippies

Originally posted by race
regardless, the docks use of land is perfectly legal. as far as i know they're not doing anything that goes beyond what the citys zoning allows.
too bad for the islanders. but come on. they shouldn't even be living there! isn't it public land? they don't pay land tax. i'm divided on the issues but right now i think they should bugger off.

Fuck em... They live in a sprawling metropolis. Did they think they would be immune to the effects of urban development for eternity? My house used to back onto a nice quiet meadow, with birds and trees and a nice creek that ran through it where I used to ride my bike. Now it's the 407. As somebody already pointed out, if you want quiet, move to the country.

Saffron

TRIBE Member
Mass prescribe Immovayne to all the people on the east side of the island and get the docks to foot the bill for the pills. Problem solved.