• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Montreal Advice Req'd

cosmosuave

TRIBE Member
I am planning to go to Montreal this weekend with my g.f. as part of our twice yearly visits to Montreal... This time I am looking for some advice on some good places to eat and drink...

We have a dinner reservation for Friday at a high end restaurant so we are looking for some mid to low priced restaurants with good food and atomosphere such as Utopia (College)..

Also we never know where to go for a drink...We have been visiting Montreal for the past 4 years and it is always hit n miss when it comes to going out for a drink...

Are there any entertainment zines like EYE or NOW that I can search online for weekend event and listings...

Thanks....

Rataxès

TRIBE Member
l'Academie on St.Denis would probably fit the bill.

It's fairly busy, nice casual atmosphere, food is good bistro-style. It's not 'OMG!' life-chaging food, but very solid and extremely well priced. It is also BYOB (no corking fee IIRC) and there is an SAQ right next door to make things easy. I had a very nice meal there last time I was in Mtl. and wouldn't hesitate to visit again.

mrPrez

TRIBE Member
im heading there this weekend with the girl as well.. go valentines day!

who/what/where/when to do!?

btw, i second restaurant l'academie (corner of st. denis and deluth)...

.. and prob gonna hit up hector romero at stereo sat night, what a weekend!

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by cosmosuave

We have a dinner reservation for Friday at a high end restaurant so we are looking for some mid to low priced restaurants with good food and atomosphere such as Utopia (College)..

Also we never know where to go for a drink...We have been visiting Montreal for the past 4 years and it is always hit n miss when it comes to going out for a drink...

tonnes of great places on st laurent!

check out time supper club... good food, reasonably priced.. and great atmosphere and service.. saturday is the good night there.. but supposedly thursdays are good to

blizzarts has and electro night on saturdays which is alright.. small place but decent crowd.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

sam

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by cosmosuave

Are there any entertainment zines like EYE or NOW that I can search online for weekend event and listings...

Montreal Mirror (like NOW or EYE)

And a great place to go for brunch is the Shed Cafe on St. Laurent....this place has amazing food and atmosphere for lunch and dinner as well.

Highly recommended!

sunnybreaks

TRIBE Member
what type of clubs have you already checked out & enjoyed? I'll make recommendations based on your style.

As for restaurants...I moved away 4 years ago so I'm really not up to date on that, since I always go back to my favorite spots.

HaliBubba

TRIBE Promoter
The Plateau is where it's at.. places I always return to..

Salon Daome - my fav clublounge in the world.. Tues and Friday, & Saturdays are the nights. 141 Mont Royal Est.

Billy Kun - cool fun local pub.. lots of friendly university students - on Mont-Royal and St-Denis

Le Roi du Plateau - looks like a ma & pa dive, but don't let it fool you. best grilled food in the city. reservations are manditory as this place is booked up solid. 61 Rachel

also, at St-Laurent and Prince Arthur, you are gonna find lots of places to eat and drink. Cafeteria is one of my favorite places to be 'seen'. Kitty corner, there's Sofia. Shed Cafe is down the street, but there's tons of little undiscovered bars that I prefer to venture into also.

There's some other really cool restaurants on Mont Royal just past St-Denis that I wish I could recommend to you.. but I don't know their names... so sorry. Have fun though!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
Cafeteria on St. Laurent is a great breakfast spot. Stylish and the food is really good. It's even okay if you're a bit sketchy from Stereo the night before ;)

bArHo

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Montreal Advice Req'd

Originally posted by ev
tonnes of great places on st laurent!

check out time supper club... good food, reasonably priced.. and great atmosphere and service.. saturday is the good night there.. but supposedly thursdays are good to

blizzarts has and electro night on saturdays which is alright.. small place but decent crowd.
time is pretty high end not really reasonably priced in my opinion but its a pretty nice place though

for super cheap eats nothing beats eurodeli on st.laurent. I go there for the eats and the hot boys, but thats just me

l'acadmie is actually student chefs that makes your food and its a hit n miss place but when I've gone the food was super yum so it was a hit for sure

lots more to write about but i'm late for class...i'll spill more later

steeveedee should know some hot spots as well as he too is a fellow montrealer.

mrPrez

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: Montreal Advice Req'd

Originally posted by bArHo

l'acadmie is actually student chefs that makes your food and its a hit n miss place but when I've gone the food was super yum so it was a hit for sure
I heard this from some mcgillite friends as well, but googling found me this :

Experienced Professionals
Contrary to those urban legends circulating across the city, the well-known Restaurant L'Academie on Saint Denis Street is not staffed by student chefs on their way to becoming masters of the culinary arts, but rather by a troupe of seasoned professionals with plenty of cooking experience under their belts. That being said, this ever-so-trendy eatery in the heart of the Plateau Mont Royal continues to attract hordes of Montrealers on a daily basis with their reasonably priced menu and lively ambiance.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

RedInMtl

TRIBE Member
If you're into sushi you should check out Yuukai, 5658Av du Parc i believe....A buddy of mine runs it and it's a family owned and operated kinda place...
Amazing food, well priced and best of all it's also BYOW.

If you like sushi and wine, you'll love it

P.S. L'Academie is good times for sure never been dissapointed there either...

Last edited:

videotronic

TRIBE Member
if you want italian theres a nice place in the old port called da emma..its in this crazy old building that might have been a mill or something...nice setting, good food

id avoid time if i were you..the food is terrible

Lurker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by HaliBubba
The Plateau is where it's at.. places I always return to..

Le Roi du Plateau - looks like a ma & pa dive, but don't let it fool you. best grilled food in the city. reservations are manditory as this place is booked up solid. 61 Rachel

also, at St-Laurent and Prince Arthur, you are gonna find lots of places to eat and drink. Cafeteria is one of my favorite places to be 'seen'. Kitty corner, there's Sofia. Shed Cafe is down the street, but there's tons of little undiscovered bars that I prefer to venture into also.

There's some other really cool restaurants on Mont Royal just past St-Denis that I wish I could recommend to you.. but I don't know their names... so sorry. Have fun though!
Gonna have to check out Salon Daome and Roi du Plateau sometime. I don't have an excuse since I live at Berri & Mont Royal.

The restaurants further east on Mont Royal that I would recommend are Misto for italian-esque food. Very well reviewed. L'Avenue makes an awesome brunch and their lunch/dinners are quite good too. There's a bunch of other good ones depending on what you're after.

L'Academie is also a good choice. Been there a few times, never a bad meal.

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
i agree with the TIME comment... posers

a little off the beaten path but SO worth it is
Pizzeria Napoletana - it's in Little Italy (go figure) which you'll run into if you continue North on St. Laurent. the Pizzeria is on a side street about a block to the East of St. Laurent on Dante.
it is seriously the LOUDEST place i've ever been to but it's super fun. Bring your own bottle of wine and expect to pay ~ $13 for a pizza.

Another sushi recommendation in Mile End is Oishi on Bernard @ Parc. Was voted #2 in Montreal Mirror's best of 2005
(277 Bernard W.) So Good

for more "best of" check here:
Montreal Mirror Chowtime 2005

Places to drink:
I love love love going to Java U on St. Paul W in Old Montreal. good atmosphere, they have food too. and it's not just a coffee shop! it's a hot little place

Also a fairly new spot is Barmacie Baldwin - right down the street from my old place on Laurier w.
click here for details:

Barmacie Baldwin

have fun. montreal is the BEST

sweetdaddy

TRIBE Member
for cheap vegetarian food.

BOUSTAN's VEGGIE WRAP!!!!

a montreal must!!!
if you go in and say "i've never been here" they won't let you order anything else. even if you say "but it doesn't have any meat in it"? they will say "oh well, don't worry" as they are making it for you.

but you will thank them!!!
everyone does.

if you live in montreal, and just want a homecooked style meal, with lots of flavor and lots of choice, for little$...MCKIBBON's IRISH PUB is the place.
it's leaps and bounds above any other pub food i have ever eaten.

especially the LAMB, the SEAFOOD CHOWDER, the BURGERS, the PORK, the FRIES WITH CURRY SAUCE, and the CHICKEN.

COCO RICO's is sweet for chicken and potatoes.

SOUPE SOUPS has the best soups in town. with homemade bread.

and GUIDO AND ANGELINA'S has a great SPICY LINGUINE WITH SEAFOOD SAUCE.

for chinese food and SUSHI, there is a place inside the FAUBERGE on St CATHERINE that has fresh, crisp and tasty food for a decent price. (the small combo is 8.00 after taxes, but can stuff two 140lb. people)

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by sweetdaddy
for cheap vegetarian food.

BOUSTAN's VEGGIE WRAP!!!!

a montreal must!!!
if you go in and say "i've never been here" they won't let you order anything else. even if you say "but it doesn't have any meat in it"? they will say "oh well, don't worry" as they are making it for you.

but you will thank them!!!
everyone does.
YES GUY!!!
boustan's veggie wrap rules ALL.
2020-A CRESCENT

you will NOT be disappointed.

When i visit montreal this is one of the places that i usually try to fit in at some point (along with Schwartz's).
Our Dim Sum place is La Maison Kam Fung
1071 & 1111 St-Urban #M05
Kam Fung
it's in a mall of sorts - upstairs. Get there early (i.e. by 11am) or you'll be waiting in line.

one last suggestion
Abiata - Ethiopian
3435 RUE SAINT-DENIS
Tues–Sun 11–3pm; 6pm–midnight; Mon 6pm–midnight

VERY reasonably priced. so awesome. They do this hummous like app that is heavenly

sweetdaddy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Metal Morphosis

one last suggestion
Abiata - Ethiopian
3435 RUE SAINT-DENIS
Tues–Sun 11–3pm; 6pm–midnight; Mon 6pm–midnight

VERY reasonably priced. so awesome. They do this hummous like app that is heavenly
wicked.

i saw this place featured on tv, really wanted to go, but forgot the name of it.
thanks.

bArHo

TRIBE Member
boustan- YES! I live right behind it actually which is the greatest thing ever!

guido and angelina- BIG FAT STINKING NO!

and the great place to get burgers that are tiny but thick with a plateful of suzy q's is at mr.steers on st.catherines inbetween the peeler joints.

l'avenue is the greatest imo for breakfest and theres just lil place around westmount that has some of the best croissants ever.

oh and rock-a-berry for the best apple crumble and desserts ever

i could go on for ages...

le swimming is now the ballroom which is apparently some martini bar, theres a new place down in mile end called boa bar and around there you can check out mile end bar or the green room

ahhh i'll post more after din dins...

Last edited: