• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

*Mommies and Daddies of Tribe..Please Read*

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
I call upon you for your help with a volunteer project that I have taken on.

Some of you may know that I am an Early Childhood Educator and specialize in multiple birth newborn/preemie care(but often work with them til toddler age). Basically..I am a registered business and work with families who have have newborn twins and triplets.

Being involved in the multiple birth community, I have learned of a *very poor* family who just came here from Lebanon with their 3 year old son and pregnant with *Quintuplets*!!(they came here because of her high risk pregnancy) They literally came here with a suitcase worth of stuff for the entire family.

The Mom had to have an emergency C-section at 27 weeks(13 weeks early). Sadly one little boy died after a few weeks. 3 girls and one boy survived. I went to visit them in Neonatal Intensive Care Unit last Monday and let me tell you they are teeny! What was a little hard is that the Mom has *very little* English. However we somehow managed to communicate. The little boy had on a pair of pink shoes and had no toys. :( He is just cute as a button. Poor thing has had is whole world turned upside down.

So what I have done is I emailed all the Moms whom I have worked for over the past 10 years to see what they could donate. The generosity has been unbelievable!! I have collected perhaps more then half of the babies item needed...as well as clothes and toys for the 3 year old.

The first 2 babies will be coming home in about a week or so...and I will be working with this familly putting in lots of hours on my days off work from my other multiples. As there is just no way these people will survive without tons of help.

What I still need is *2* cribs. But they absolutely have to be 7 years or less then the manufacturing date.

If anyone has a crib to donate I have use of a truck any evening that would be convenient for pick up.

Thanks.

Maxine

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

PRIMAL

TRIBE Member
Maxine, you're amazing. Period. :D

I'm going to talk to my cousin and see if she still has her crib from her babies.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
wow quintuplets?! what are the odds of that.. good luck in getting everything sounds like you've done a lot already.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

acheron

TRIBE Member
surprised this hasn't been in the news already... this is the kind of thing the newspapers jump all over.

Our crib is still in use... anything else you need? Are they going back to lebanon?

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
acheron said:
surprised this hasn't been in the news already... this is the kind of thing the newspapers jump all over.

Our crib is still in use... anything else you need? Are they going back to lebanon?

The family is Muslim Lebonese and are very private humble people. They asked for no media attention. The Toronto Multiple Birth Association, along with the social worker for the Mount Sinai(neonatal unit) and myself have become a team to join efforts to help these people out. I have volunteered myself to put in lots of hours..and to train all the volunteers(and parents) how to care for newborn(preemie) multiples. Being a higher order multiple birth expert, I know I can be of huge help to the family. Getting paid is always nice..but I think helping people who are in desparate need has it's own rewards. I'll be one tired girl though!oi

Anyhow..I also need one or 2 infant car seats that I believe have to be 5 years or under the manufacturing date.

crib sheets (I got quite a few but still need more)
diapers

I will update the list if I can think of anything.

I will need high chairs down the road..but space and storage is an issue since they live in a small appartment.

No they are not going back to Lebanon.

Ps. Thanks for all the kind posts.

Al..that would be great if you can look into the crib sitch..:)

Cheers!

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
If my understanding from MTV is correct, you're asking for a multi million dollar home occupied by a rockstar? good luck!

but seriously folks...*wipes tear*.. good luck for real, I hope somebody has an extra crib to donate.

tella

TRIBE Member
PRIMAL said:
Maxine, you're amazing. Period. :D

i know quite a few people with babies so i will forward your message on to friends. good luck to you and the family!

p.s few of my friends with children read tribe, so do you have an email address i can send to them?

Last edited:

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
Thanks for the support everyone!

Acheron has been so kind to offer an infant car seat and I am picking it up tonight. :)

This is one less item on the list of needs!

jungalissa

TRIBE Member
not sure why I opened this since I am not a mommy, but I'm sure I have a bag or 2 of baby clothes and toys from my baby bro:)

jungalissa

TRIBE Member
I don't have a crib but I may be able to snag one of those tiny baby beds that just work for newborns and usually go beside the parents bed. like a mini crib basket.

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
Thank you so much both of you for the offer of clothes.

At this point I am focusing more on the big ticket items. I can't really make the drive to Toronto from Newmarket for clothes at this point cause I have so much driving around to do picking up large items such as many cribs, car seats, change tables etc. Man this is a full time job!!

There will be a count this week of all the stuff collected and if we still need clothes then I will pm you then if you dont mind. That is very kind and thoughful of you both.

Jungalisa..thanks for the baby bed thingy. They live in a tiny apartment and fitting 4 cribs and a toddler bed will already be a huge issue.

So today I got a phone call about one more crib...Yay!!! Now I need one more crib.

Now I have 4 car seats.

So the only other thing aside from one crib I really need is double strollers and preemie clothes.

Cheers.

kick

TRIBE Member
I have a car seat...Addy just grew out of it! Too late, but if you find you need it, its in Newmarket!

Can I buy them a big box of diapers?

Formula?

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
kick said:
I have a car seat...Addy just grew out of it! Too late, but if you find you need it, its in Newmarket!

Can I buy them a big box of diapers?

Formula?

Are you serious?
I was gonna ask my relatives if anyone would like to donate diapers. I wasn't about to bug my friends for that. Wow..that would be very cool and extremly generous. If you do pick up diapers for them, I'll absolutely pop over to get them. I will be in the t-dot at some point both this week and next week.

It looks like I have a fourth car seat..but if not, I'll get in touch with you.

Thanks Monika!!:)

swenard

TRIBE Member
I have a friend who keps trying to pawn there cheap ass IKEA crib on us as they are not going to have anymore children and we're having one now. It is only a two years old and hasn't even been used. She prefferred having the baby sleep with them in their bed.(wierd) I will ask her if she would be willing to donate it.

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
swenard said:
I have a friend who keps trying to pawn there cheap ass IKEA crib on us as they are not going to have anymore children and we're having one now. It is only a two years old and hasn't even been used. She prefferred having the baby sleep with them in their bed.(wierd) I will ask her if she would be willing to donate it.

Cheers!! pm me asap.

:)

smokeyeyes

TRIBE Member
geminigirl said:
Are you serious?
I was gonna ask my relatives if anyone would like to donate diapers. I wasn't about to bug my friends for that. Wow..that would be very cool and extremly generous. If you do pick up diapers for them, I'll absolutely pop over to get them. I will be in the t-dot at some point both this week and next week.

It looks like I have a fourth car seat..but if not, I'll get in touch with you.

Thanks Monika!!:)

maxine, put me down for diapers. omg, the thought of the sheer # that they are going to be going through daily with 4 babies boggles my mind. something like 24-32 ... eek!

jeebus, that's over $20/day in diapers alone. :O

*SiLver*RoBoT*

TRIBE Member
Cloth the way to go!

Good luck with your search. Put your post on craigslist as well, I'm sure there will be plenty of interest. Wish I could help out a little more!

*over*and*out*

*SiLver*RoBoT*

smokeyeyes

TRIBE Member
yeah, i was thiking cloth would be better... even though diaper services run at about $16 per week (per 75 diapers) ... that's $64/week for the newborns alone. still less expensive than disposable.

but... you have to store upwards of 300 dirty diapers for one week until the service comes to pick them up. OR do the laundry yourself.

the logistics of it are crazy.

*SiLver*RoBoT*

TRIBE Member
It's actually very easy. Service will give you a bucket/pail, with deoderizer. Put soiled diapers in bucket. Every Thursday, put the bag of soiled diapers on front porch, they deliver new bag with clean diapers. Easy. No cleaning/laundry involved, and by the end of it, you can save up to $2000. (Whether that's true, I don't know)

*over*and*out*

*SiLver*RoBoT*