• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

mold - detection & removal question

patri©k

TRIBE Member
I'm allergic to mold, amongst other things... and I've been having reactions to the air in the basement. I do not think that there would be anything down there aside from mold that would be causing these reactions.

my landlord seems to think I'm just imagining this... and has made it clear that if I cannot prove that there IS mold.. I'm shit outta luck. The problem started after we had flooding in the basement.

anyone work for a company that does mold detection? or could anyone recommend someone?

do I contact my insurance?

wtf. newbie!

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

JEMZ

TRIBE Member
Mold can be very dangerous and should not be taken lightly. I wish you the best with your efforts.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
I am also highly allergic to mould.

Basements are generally prone to moisture. If you live in one that has been flooded naturally, then it is obviously very prone to moisture.

Moisture enables mould. Dankness.

Your only solution is to eliminate the moisture and humidity. Short of moving, the only way to do that is get a dehumidifier. Removing the water from the air will draw the water out of the floors, carpets, water, furniture and anything else in the premise. The sporing fungi will not be able to live in dry conditions and after a few days of drying and vacuums, you will be (largely) mould free.

Your landlord is gonna give you excuse after excuse cause really, there's not much s/he can do structurally to eliminate the conditions that enable the mould. Well, not without increasing your rent about two or three times. Her/his basic opinion is: you live in a basement - deal with the mould or move cause the rent's not gonna cover fixing it.

For the same reasons as you, I got a dehumidifier and it was night and day difference after one day. Seriously, just running a dehumidifier will improve the air conditions manyfold.

Normally a good dehumidifier is gonna cost about $300CAD, for something of the efficiency for a whole basement flat. You can get them at Canadian Tire, Rona, or other household hardware stores. I bought mine from http://pigottpower.com , a guy who resells refurbished ones for about 1/2 or 1/3 the price. I recommend him.

If I were you, I'd approach your landlord and say something to the effect of: "Look, you can't renovate the foundation, but here's a place to get a decent, cheap, dehumidifier that's gonna solve all my problems. Go get it, pay for it, and I'll stop complaining."

S/he'll probably go for it.

-jM
A&D

patri©k

TRIBE Member
last year when there was all that flooding on Queen west... the basement of my business was flooded temporarily. All the water drained out on its own, but left a 'film' of whatever dirtyness was in the water/sewage.

Because it 'dried'... and nothing was or is visible, my landlord thinks that there is no problem. I beg to differ. I can spend 5 seconds down there and my eyes/ears/sinuses/throat and chest all start to react.

so... I pretty much have to prove to him that there is mold or whatever other fucking skurvy-toxin downstairs before he takes action. Ungh.

I've tried a de-humidifier... also tried an aranizer. Nadda.

My landlord's solution... "maybe I can paint the basement and that will not only seal it, but it will kill whatever is down there bothering you!"

I dunno. I clearly have to MAKE time to deal with this shit. ffs.

and whoever put the tag 'try smoking it'... you're fucking retarded, obviously.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
flood = mold

my parents basement flooded a few years back. the insurance company sent a crew that literally tore out the basement. all flooring gone.. bottom half of all walls.. drywall.. insulation... gone.. They brought in all these industrial heaters and fans to dry it all out for a couple of days as well.

If your basement flooded and the landlord didn't do the above, good chance there's mold.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
call the city of toronto health dept if you're concerned about mold in a residence ( if you're renting ).
they'll come by to assess the sitch, and let you know your options.

ian

TRIBE Member
flood = mold

my parents basement flooded a few years back. the insurance company sent a crew that literally tore out the basement. all flooring gone.. bottom half of all walls.. drywall.. insulation... gone.. They brought in all these industrial heaters and fans to dry it all out for a couple of days as well.

If your basement flooded and the landlord didn't do the above, good chance there's mold.

Yeah same thing with me. The measures were much more drastic than I expected. Half of me wanted to say "insurance scam", the other half had two daughters and didn't want to take chances.

kmsmith

TRIBE Member
Hey Patrick.

This is something I am now unfortunately all too well versed in. My apartment is also infested with Mould. It was actually showing in our bedroom, so we notified the landlord. They did nothing, so we cleaned it up with a product called concrobium Mold remover. HOWEVER, this does not rectify the problem.

My girlfreind and I have been sick all winter. As someone who works outside and is rarely sick, I am certain it is because of the mould. Thankfully, we bought a house which closes on Monday, so we no longer have to deal with it, because everyone I talked to about it (and anything you read online) says that you need to rid the mould at the source, not just clean the area when it appears.

Document everything. Landlords don't want to deal with this stuff. At least mine didn't. Seriously. Go to the Ontario housing tribunal. There are serious ramifications for landlords if they decline health related queries from their tenants. We had all of our situation documented, we went there, and went to the landlord armed with this information. We suggested she either pay our moving expenses or we would take it further. Moving expenses are being paid.

Long story short - Document all illness, all doctors, all times you talked to the landlord about the issue, what the response was, and you will absolutely have the issue resolved.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Patrick, don't bother with insurance. you're renting right? if thats the case your contents will be covered but not structural damage, had your landlord put forward a claim under their insurance when it happened then he might be able to go back to them if they cleaned up the mess. IF not then he is definately SOL as mould is something that occurs over a period of time and in those situations is not covered by insurance.

As for remediation I can get you the names of some good companies but again this is a cost that will become quite expensive (see a few thousand) as remediation involves finding the source usually behind walls/drywall and dehumidifying the entire area and killing the exisiting mould.

This is mos def something that your landlord is responsible for and should be mitigating, as others have said if this is not the case document everything, see your GP and write the rental board.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

patri©k

TRIBE Member
love the tag... burnouts just smoke it.

As for whoever wrote that.. I'd love to know whether or not they are self-employed and have their own successful business. baconpan ... probably not. Keep on trolling hero. :) I got a business to keep expanding. ;)

Last edited:

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
i once had a problem with mold behind a sink when i moved into a place...

gave me asthma like a biotch.

so i scrubbed the living fuck out of it with SOS pads...

then painted it with "Kilz" sealer/primer (designed specifically for this type of thing)

TOTALLY worked.