• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Mogwai @ The Phoenix

Woody

TRIBE Member
Holy earnumbingly loud!!!

I've been to loud concerts before but this one was abve and beyond. Got to the Phoenix aaround 8:45 or so, they were still getting stuff ready so we waited. The opening band, who's name I can't remember were nothing special, a bit more of a metal band than anything else. After they were done, the place got pretty packed and hot, I'm not sure that they even had the A/C on at all.

The crowd was good, a bit eclectic, with your punky types, emo kids, skinhead types, and shoesgazers. Mogwai came on prolly around 1:15 or so, and started off with a song from one of their older albums. Great layered guitar and keyboards.

If you aren't familar with what they sound like, they tend to start off quiet, build up with the guitar drop some hugely loud parts and then go quiet again. The music has a really good eb and flow to it. It's certainly not the dancing type, and sure enough, no one was even trying to dance. In fact from where we were on the balcony on the couches, I counted several people just sitting with their heads back, eyes closed feeling the music. They went though a few songs from the new album, but mostly stayed with older stuff which was fine by me.

They played until about 11:15 or so, came back for one encore (that I know of anyway, I left after that) and generally rocked the house.

paetsr

TRIBE Member
Woody said:
Holy earnumbingly loud!!!

I've been to loud concerts before but this one was abve and beyond. Got to the Phoenix aaround 8:45 or so, they were still getting stuff ready so we waited. The opening band, who's name I can't remember were nothing special, a bit more of a metal band than anything else. After they were done, the place got pretty packed and hot, I'm not sure that they even had the A/C on at all.
They played until about 11:15 or so, came back for one encore (that I know of anyway, I left after that) and generally rocked the house.
-The opening band that night was Torche, from Miami, FL.
-There was no A/C at all. The only conditioning in the air was body heat from too many people.
-The applause was actually in sync. at the end for a good 20 seconds before Mogwai came back to play. The encore included what I think was a unreleased track. Or if it was, somebody please tell me what. :confused:

The show was great, awesome sound, very loud... every track Mogwai played was food to my ears... I enjoyed it very much. :)

paetsr

TRIBE Member
terrawrist III said:
fuck pete...didn't know you were a mogwai fan!
hahaha Jamie, I'll try to keep you surprised :D
The show was awesome though, it felt like the whole crowd was in a trance.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

VinylRach

TRIBE Promoter
omg i'm so glad you guys liked it. Mogwai was FUCKING awesome at coachella, i wasn't a fan until then, but i'm totally hooked now.