• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Moderately priced restaurant for 20-30 ppl

Skipper

TRIBE Member
I'm coordinating a surprise bday dinner for my friend, at which I'm expecting 20-30 people.

Any recommendations for a casual restaurant, moderately priced, where the menu isn't too specialized? (big variety in the tastes of people going.)

Should be in the downtown or midtown area, and not a big chain restaurant. (ie not the keg, or kelseys, etc)

HELP....

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
The Irish Embassy at Yonge and Wellington is nice. You'd have to call and ask if you could fit 30 people in there though. I'm not sure if they could handle that many or not.

I recommend the Chicken Curry. It's divine.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Scarlett

TRIBE Member
I had a birthday at Joe Badali's. It was pretty good. It's mainly an Italian menu...but who doesn't like Italian food? They can probably accomodate a party that big...

Skipper

TRIBE Member
The guy whose birthday it is is a bit of a food connoisseur....I'd like to take him somewhere unique.
It doesn't have to be super fancy or expensive.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
30 people is a large number. A lot of the sort unique restaraunts probably wouldn't be able to acccomodate a large group. I was going to suggest Oyster Boy but I can't remember how big it was inside.

sentence

TRIBE Promoter
you can check out brassaii on king just west of spadina. i work there but am off for a few weeks, but we have parties of that size regularily. you can check www.brassaii.com for more info. the menu is pretty nice and reasonably priced and the decor inside is great as well.

sentence

TRIBE Promoter
i forgot to mention that you can request the private chefs table at no extra cost although i'm not sure 30 ppl could fit there. i believe the largest group we've done there has been around 24. and there is also a private backroom available complete with its own bar. definitely worth looking in to.

btw, tell them joel sent you if you decide to go there. ;)

sweet_e

TRIBE Member
really depends on how much you want to spend.

NOCE on queen is italian. really good food, huge wine list specializing in italian reds. They have a private back room (with separate sound system) as well, where you can have a cocktail type party to start. Most restuarants will do a preset smaller menu for large groups but it helps with cost.

Tina Vortex

TRIBE Member
I have a restaurant in Montreal. I know that doesn't help, but I just wanted to say that a smaller restaurant could accommodate, if they ordered from a set menu, or had 2 or 3 choices.

A smaller restaurant would probably be more eager to accommodate any special needs also, such as music, a discount etc.

Good luck!

Tina

HMHA

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Balzz
I've always found the St. Clair one to be better than the others.

agreed!

also.. i don't know how downtown you need to be, but shark city in the yonge/eglinton area has a half priced thursday night menu. ladies are half price, while men are half price till 8pm (on certain items only). the food is really good and the prices are ridiculously cheap.

check it out!

Skipper

TRIBE Member
thanks for the recommendations everyone!
Now that I'm doing up the invite list, I'm thinking it'll be 20 max.

Recommendations still welcome....

Movenpick is crap.

"Ok, go serve yourself, sit at one of our sticky tables, attempt to find cutlery, but only end up finding knives, then pay more than you would at a good restaurant."

:|