• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Mixer opinions?

khemistry

TRIBE Member
Hello everyone,

Im currently using a Behringer DJX -700 mixer that i've been using for a year now. The mixer is still doing alrite for me but the quality is just not the one that im looking for. So now the question is whats the best reliable mixer that you've ever use so far and a reasonable price?

Also I usually do some scratching and play different genre's of music so Im actually in the market but definitely taking my time for a mixer thats good for everything and will last long enough. Let me know whats ur opinion base on ur experiences.

Thank you

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
OK well then you can go for what is pretty much becoming industry standard right now: Allen & Heath Xone:62.

Amazing sounding mixer that is pretty much incredible all around. It does take some getting used to (4 band eq) and it's not perfect but it does the job very well.

Only issue is the fader isn't very scratch friendly.

I am interested in more info on the new urei but I doubt that will come in under 2 grand when all is said and done.

Agent Smith

TRIBE Member
Wiseman said:
OK well then you can go for what is pretty much becoming industry standard right now: Allen & Heath Xone:62.

Amazing sounding mixer that is pretty much incredible all around. It does take some getting used to (4 band eq) and it's not perfect but it does the job very well.

Only issue is the fader isn't very scratch friendly.

I am interested in more info on the new urei but I doubt that will come in under 2 grand when all is said and done.
Ya, those new Ureis look sex-ay!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Agent Smith said:
Ya, those new Ureis look sex-ay!
I'm hoping to afford a nice new mixer probably near the end of this year and I'm hoping they are available and as good as they look like they will be by then.

why not

TRIBE Member
keep in mind that the Urei 1620 rotary is completely different from the scratch mixers they're also making.
the 1620 has no channel EQ, and no crossfader, but sounds great.
Duo Audio has made a crossfader for it, but you have to get the mixer modified pretty heavily to attach it. if you need per-channel EQ, you can also buy isolators, but then you're looking at a very expensive setup.

the rotary is a replica of the analog legend, and the scratch mixers are very modern and digital.
i don't think anyone has done a sound comparison yet, so the jury is still out on the new ones.

i would vote for A&H as well.
the xone:92 is much more scratch friendly, but kind of pricey.

the other option would be the Rane Empath, which is supposedly pretty decent.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Ben check the link. We're talkin about the new Urei 1603 and 1605, which is neither the scratch mixer nor the rotary.

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
I'm very new to the entire dj/gear set up. I just bought some new CDJ 200s. I didn't care too much about the mixer (as the price of the CDJs really put me back). At the time of the sale, I bought a Behringer vmx200 (shitty I NOW know...)

I didn't like the mixer at all and went to Long and Mcquade to rent another mixer just to "check out" some different ones before I go shopping again. I hate the knob required to listen to the CDJs in the headphones.

Behringer sucks. I rented a Numark DXM06....and you'd think I bought new speakers. A decent mixer makes ALL the DIFFERENCE. Get rid of the Behringer. I've put mine back in the box and I'm just waiting to sell it to some other "starting out" DJ.

If I had coin.....I'd buy an Allen & Heath XONE 32......the 62 looks tight too....but that may be "too much" for a dj like myself who's starting out.....or I'd get the new Pioneer DJM-400.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
ok xone 32 is good but there is one really strange thing: the gain knobs for each channel are on the back of the mixer where all the connections are. definately something to get used to.

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
Wiseman said:
ok xone 32 is good but there is one really strange thing: the gain knobs for each channel are on the back of the mixer where all the connections are. definately something to get used to.
Oh...I did not know that. Hmmmm? Why would they put them there? That is strange.

praktik

TRIBE Member
its real easy to get used to (I got my 32 slanted though, so access to the knobs is super easy)... other nice features on the 32 are the easy "transmute" buttons on either side of the crossfader, allowing you to sample in the track your mixing in REALLY easily, or functions as a mute button if the crossfader ISNT all the way to one side...

The filters are easy to use to just bear in mind that for headphone queueing you wont hear them (which is good) but you will hear any EQ'ing done with the bass/mid/treble controls (which I guess is good or bad depending on your attitude)....

Solid little mixer but if you're scratching I suggest trying one out somewhere. I dont really scratch at all but I was reading on forums that when you slam the crossfader quick to one side there's a very slight delay before it kicks in... give it a shot and see if you can notice that... I didnt notice it at all here, but Im not really using the mixer for that kind of thing so Im the kind of user that _wouldn't_ notice it anyway...

Also - when you're at this level you can run balanced audio which is nice... if your monitors have XLR inputs get some 1/4" TRS to XLR cabling to take advantage of the better sound....

No regrets here! I love that mixer!

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
praktik said:
Also - when you're at this level you can run balanced audio which is nice... if your monitors have XLR inputs get some 1/4" TRS to XLR cabling to take advantage of the better sound....

No regrets here! I love that mixer!

Balananced does not nesc equal better sound. It can often cause loss or detail. Why do you think many mastering consoles don't run balanced or very high end amplifiers.

But if you are working in a noisey pro situation with tons of lights and other stuff that can distort the sound balanced has an advantage. Not in a two or three meter range but more in a 30-40 foot range or span.

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
Allen & Heath Xone 02 is an amazing scratch mixer, and it's essentially a four channel mixer in disguise.

Xone 32 and 62 are great mixers, but horrible for scratching, and the 92 has it all.

khemistry

TRIBE Member
well looks like A & H have a good word in it. I dont really scratch a lot i just used it here and there sometimes.

What do u think about the denon 1500 i saw this one on sale on the for sale forum?