• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Missy Elliot vs. K-os?

MoFo

TRIBE Member
So I've been putting K-os's "Superstar Part Zero" on my mix cds and every time I play it, people think it's Missy. I'm a fan of the new Missy album so I don't remember hearing K-os' sample on any of This is Not a Test.

I did a little research and the video for Missy's "I'm Really Hot" is an exact rip of K-os' tune! I didn't see the whole thing so someone please tell me it's not a rip and it's just 30 seconds of a sample?
Or maybe K-os is in it?

Because if it's not and she just took it, I don't know what I think about that.
Because I have the same effin' beef about Joe taking Pharcyde's "Passing Me By" (almost exactly) and using it for his little lame rNb diddy.

Anyone wanna enlighten me about this?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Huh?
So that entire beat and piano riff is a rip of something else? I doubt it. And if it is, who is it ripped from?

Because Missy's video music is exactly K-os' but with her MCing.
What I'm confused is that it's not a sample she's using. It's his song.

zoo

TRIBE Member
pharacyde didn't make the passing my by sample, k-os didn't make the sample in superstar part zero

anyone can use it as long as they pay a licensing fee and the owners are willing to license it out [which 99% of owners are]

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
This is one of those occasions when buying the CD for the liner notes makes sense. They'd have to give credit for the sample.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Even that beat was sampled in Superstar Part Zero? It's quite fast and furious to be some old tune.

zoo

TRIBE Member
i do think that k-os's song has the "music" vocal sample taken from an old ashley beedle / xpress 2 song

but even he might have sampled that off some other house song

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
this reminds me of the crowd's reaction to 0=0's funk set at Splinter on friday.
every track it was like "woooo!" cuz they would recognize it, and then a few bars in they would realize "holy shit, this is the original, not the hiphop/house/breaks/pop song that i grew up listening to"

it was quite the little funkified school lesson.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Dr Funk MD
This is one of those occations when buying the CD for the liner notes makes sense. They'd have to give credit for the sample.

Can't. It's the video remix. So unless they put that on a single.
And Missy's video remixes are hard to find. Trust me, I've looked. I love her outros in her videos. They're not usually available on her albums.

kuba

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by kmac
qtip, help me out here... who did it originally?
Its on my cd... and for the love of god I dont remember! But yes, sunny, it IS a ripoff.

I believe the track is called sweet music.

The WHOLE THING is a ripoff. All he did was add lyrics.

When I remember I'll bring it to your attention.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
:eek:

Thanks, Jake.

*frantically researching again*
So basically they both did the same thing. Took the same song and MC'd right on top. Yikes!

MoFo

TRIBE Member
The problem is that I originally thought Missy took it from K-os. Which is bad because basically you're taking a already new song using an old sample and putting your vocals on it. It's like if I took a Britney song and left it the way it is and sang over it.

And put it out as a single.

Which is vastly different than remixing, cutting up or even taking an older song in its original form and going over it with vocals.

But if Sweet Music is an old tune, then it was just a coincidence that they both took it and did the EXACT same thing with it. Which is like going to a party and wearing the same dress.

zoo

TRIBE Member
i seriously doubt it was a co-incidence that missy used that sample

the vocal has been used xpress 2 in two of this songs, one old, one new, k-os used that track last year, and now missy this year

she probably just used it to expose the track to new ears ... spreading the musical goodness ...

MoFo

TRIBE Member
What vocal? The "Ooooo, I love this girl" part?

Sorry, I haven't seen the whole thing and I can't find it online except for 33 second clips..

zoo

TRIBE Member
the one that says "music"

download xpress 2- muzikizum, or x press 2 - muzik, or some combination of the words .. he's released a bunch of tracks like that

slants

TRIBE Member
soho ... hot music ... classic house that was a big hit in the black clubs in the late eighties early ninties ...

Alvaro G

The entire track was ripped from SOHO's Hot Music that came out on striclty rhythm around 1990. Kos is a cry baby and shouldn't be illing on Missy, cause he straight teefed that sample. And just so you know, Black Eyed Peas ripped the same sample with a remix of there very first song, Joints and Jams.

I find it rediculous when an " artist" who does not give credit for a sample, complains when someone else uses it. I guarantee you SOHO hasn' t seen a dime from either of those mother fuckers.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Oh, right. That song I know. It's an X Press song that I've spun before.

Okay, so what about the piano, the saxophone, the girl vocals, the beat?

I am SO confused right now.

And NOW I find out that Missy just used it for a segment of this rip in the middle of her video. *sigh* I thought the whole song was THIS SAMPLE.

WELL THAT CHANGES EVERYTHING. Now I don't care. Carry on, people.

Adam

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Alvaro G
Kos is a cry baby and shouldn't be illing on Missy, cause he straight teefed that sample. And just so you know,

Dude, I don't think KOS is complaining about it..we're the ones asking the questions.

There's no way an artist as big as Missy could release that without clearing the sample first.

kuba

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by slants
soho ... hot music ... classic house that was a big hit in the black clubs in the late eighties early ninties ...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THATS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Adam
Dude, I don't think KOS is complaining about it..we're the ones asking the questions.
Yah, I'm not complaining since now I've figured out that I had it wrong this whole time.

Now I'm more interested in how it has been morphed since I am a hugely into finding out these kind of things.
I LOVE music trivia.