• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Missy Elliot - Gossip Folks - The Plastic Pumps Remix

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

ludikris

TRIBE Member
it could be a jam yet there are a alot of things that need tending to.

It's starts off very cool but instead of changin it up, the percussion get to be a bit drab.. a bit repetitive and almost too gated. The overall sound is muddy and missy's vocals are kind of lost in the background.

Try and expand the feel of the percussion and bass. Try and get it out of that stiff locked up 1-2-3, 1-2-3 repetitive aerobic pace.

I love house mixes of hip hop and especially missy elliott. You have something good going here but you need to liven it up.

I did this mix of "work it" a while ago if you wanna check it out.

http://www.volumeeleven.com/ludikris/ludikris_missy_workit.mp3

Good luck.

olde

TRIBE Member
Thanks so much. I listened to your mix, it's fantastic, how do you create all that space between the drums and the rest of the track. I don't know how else to describe it.

jordan

ludikris

TRIBE Member
I'm not sure I follow you on the "space between the drums" thing.
Maybe you can give me more input on what your hearing. Do you mean the way the track sort of stops and starts ?

and thanks... glad your diggin it.

Chris.

olde

TRIBE Member
Sorry, I meant keeping the frequencies in the drums from getting mashed into the frequencies in the bass.
I don't know the terminology. But I imagine what I'm talking about in phyiscal space when I'm listening it would be like..

vocals/leads

SPACE

drums

SPACE

bass

Whereas in mine it feels like...

vocals/leads
drums
bass

All kind of crammed together.

Ya dig?

jordan

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

ludikris

TRIBE Member
What you should do is take each part of your mix and eq out the frequencies that are heard less and would otherwise take away from other parts. you wouldn't hear alot of bass in vocals and you wouldn't hear mid and mid-top frequencies in basslines. Think of each part as having it's own little place in your mix. The less parts share frequencies, the easier they are to distinguish. There are however cases where this is unavoidable and you just have to deal with them the best you can.

If you take the time to go over each track in your mix (especially when it's a loop that your ripping from another track) and tweak the eq as well as mess with the dynamics of it you will soon start to hear things separate and sound much better. Other than bass lines, I always chop any frequencies below 80hz off all the other samples to ensure clarity.

I hope that helps.

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ludikris
What you should do is take each part of your mix and eq out the frequencies that are heard less and would otherwise take away from other parts. you wouldn't hear alot of bass in vocals and you wouldn't hear mid and mid-top frequencies in basslines. Think of each part as having it's own little place in your mix. The less parts share frequencies, the easier they are to distinguish. There are however cases where this is unavoidable and you just have to deal with them the best you can.

If you take the time to go over each track in your mix (especially when it's a loop that your ripping from another track) and tweak the eq as well as mess with the dynamics of it you will soon start to hear things separate and sound much better. Other than bass lines, I always chop any frequencies below 80hz off all the other samples to ensure clarity.

I hope that helps.

To much EQ is often do to a lack of proper sounds that go together. Also EQs no matter how good they are introduce their own set of problem such a phase issues, etc to the mix. Though this technique is useful it should not always be used with say a 80Hz filter on everything.

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Isosceles_CAT
Any filter will introduce phase distortions.

Yup, best you might get are the sony oxxford ones but they are not perfect either. About as good as it gets though.

:D

ludikris

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Humanjava
To much EQ is often do to a lack of proper sounds that go together. Also EQs no matter how good they are introduce their own set of problem such a phase issues, etc to the mix. Though this technique is useful it should not always be used with say a 80Hz filter on everything.

I think you're forgetting that we aren't talking about a track that is produced from scratch. We are taking a finished mastered track and we're remixing it into something new(unless you're lucky enough to find the instrumental and accapella).

In order to do that, you can't use samples from a track and just slam new hihats, drums, bass, and whatever else on top. The samples need to be eq'd to allow these new parts you add to fit in somewhere.

Eq'ing isn't the holy grail of solutions but it's a major part of how each element fits in a given track. If frequencies dup, they cancel or phase distort.

Isosceles_CAT

TRIBE Promoter
It is my understanding that 'ideal' filters with a 100% linear phase response are impossible to implement, and that they are used as a reference to gauge the performance of real filters.

Technically it is possible to design an FIR filter with a linear phase response. However, this is very computationally expensive, and thus not generally implemented for filters and eqs on musical hardware/software.

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ludikris
I think you're forgetting that we aren't talking about a track that is produced from scratch. We are taking a finished mastered track and we're remixing it into something new(unless you're lucky enough to find the instrumental and accapella).

In order to do that, you can't use samples from a track and just slam new hihats, drums, bass, and whatever else on top. The samples need to be eq'd to allow these new parts you add to fit in somewhere.

Eq'ing isn't the holy grail of solutions but it's a major part of how each element fits in a given track. If frequencies dup, they cancel or phase distort.

Yes you are right and I think I may be in error here.

:D

The Electrician

TRIBE Promoter
Im at 1:30... sounds good so far...

but Im listening on not good referrence headphones...

ya these headphones are kinda shit.... sounds okay to me... but then again... I have only made 4 tracks to me name...

Ask Patrick Dj DSP!!