• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Misstress Barbara/Loco Dice @ TIL

Prickly Pete

TRIBE Member
A few things:

1. I haven't seen Misstress Barbara in about 3 years.
2. I have never driven to a club before nor gone out and not had a single drink or other indulgence.

Got there at 2ish. Downstairs was packed. Upstairs was closed. Lots of very attractive ladies.

Loco Dice was on. The track he was spinning when I got there was awesome. It went downhill from there. Got very tech proggy and it wasn't that much fun. I stopped dancing.

Misstress Barbara came on around 2:30. And boy was I shocked. I didn't realize she had changed her sound. And it was a big change to me. Very housey beats but with that techno edge. I really really liked it. It was different than any DJ's or nights I usually go out too. She made me dance my ass off. And I was completely sober.

We left an hour into her set because some of the crew was tired. Curious to know how the rest of her set went.

I had another great time at TIL.

PS: What a shit night I picked to drive. Its freakin messy out there.

TheRunningBoard

TRIBE Member
So this was my first time to a Soho night...and as a matter of fact, my first time to TIL.

Any complaints about dress code, or unfriendly staff were totally not an issue. They let everyone in..and some wtih ball caps.

First impression was "fuck yeah" the place was jammed and everyone was having a good time. I got some drinks into me and tried to dance to Loco Dice..he was good (enough) but I couldn't really shake my ass like I wanted.

Next was MB. I posted in the roll call thread that I was disappointed with her set last year @ System and I was hoping for something better.

IT WAS

I thought she killed it...I really enjoyed it. Hot chicks, cool dudes, $10 with a pass and no line up? That is a great party.

Skipper...nice to finally meet you, and a few other TRIBErs in attendence.

Oh yeah...Lights came on a bit early for me...especially given the quote that they are doing the club with dress code and 21+ like other high class clubs in NY etc. Those clubs stay open all night.

I think that's it for now,

Shaun and Bucco
P.S - what happened to Jenny?

torontobarfly

TRIBE Member
TheRunningBoard said:
Any complaints about dress code, or unfriendly staff were totally not an issue. They let everyone in..and some wtih ball caps.
i wonder if they're getting lax with the dress code since they haven't had a full house since opening night...

Skipper

TRIBE Member
I was pleasantly surprised all the way around last night - with TIL and the music. My only real complaint is that Barbara didn't come on until close to 3 and then the lights came on at 5:30. I was surprised that she veered away from minimal for the most part - sticking with harder, edgier tech house. Gow played a great set that was just too early, and Loco was more of a treat than I expected as well (didn't really enjoy his set at Guv9yr). Was surprised to see so many familiar faces there too (including the triber formerly known as tekno princess!).

I can definitely see myself returning....thanks for the list ev, much appreciated.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
last night was pretty good indeed. i even enjoyed the music a lot, although i didn't spend much time dancing, since i was busy talking to people in my drunken stupor. i wasn't expecting it to be as busy as it was. the crowd seemed ok as well. so...no complaints here.

Big Boss

TRIBE Promoter
torontobarfly said:
i wonder if they're getting lax with the dress code since they haven't had a full house since opening night...
You can't compare opening night to the rest of the nights.

Deep Dish was insanely retarded and that crowd won't be matched for a while...(S Man might come close though). Dimitri and Bad Boy Bill were pretty busy, so it's not like the night has totally gone downhill. I think a lot of these headliners are anti climatic compared to the guys that launched the night.

I would love to see someone like Louie Vega or Joe Claussell at this joint instead of some of these "semi headliners" they have booked.

torontobarfly

TRIBE Member
oh i don't think the crowds have gone downhill....sounds like they're still getting a good turn out, just not filling the place...the only thing is will they get picky again with dress code the next time a big name dj shows up and it's lined up around the block...i'd rather they be consistant one way or the other each week...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Cribby

TRIBE Member
Honestly the best party of the year for me so far! I had been craving minimal for months now, and I certainly got what I wanted. Got there around 10:30 and Greg Gow + some other guy were taking turns spinning. I was VERY impressed and I want to know who the other dude is. It was tech and proggy house vs. minimal and hard techno. Fucking awesome! Right when I got in I heard Muscle Car being played, which pumped me up to maximum overdrive. Stood around and chilled for a good hour or so while the place filled in. The crowd wasn't half as bad as last week; recognized some of the old Systems crowd in there, making me a very happy Cribby. Loco Dice came on and tore myself a new asshole lol. He was decent at Guv 9 Year, but yesterday...whoa!! I made a list before the event of tunes he would play from his set at the Kinky Club on Feb 12th. They were tunes I named myself because of the soundeffects:

ripper farts
chicken song
knock on wood
magical wolf cry
tribal lalala

yea I know...I'm totally ridiculous lol. Anyways...Loco managed to play ripper farts and knock on wood...and I went totally mental to it. Total awe and happiness for me. His track selection was just superb and the mixing was top notch, although some weird transitions went on..probably on purpose. Shortly around 2:30-ish Misstress Barbara came on and started destroying me. I thought she would stick to minimal but she played alot of regular techno and some techy house which was pleasant. Thought she would play more tunes from her current album...but I think I only heard her own track called I Love You. I signaled a heart to her and blew her a kiss lol. Hmm what's this? Barbara plays the ripper farts song too! :O lol... Overall pretty great; my only disappointment was that she didn't play my fav tune...Argy - Love Dose. I kept yelling at her to play it, but I think she got a little bit irritated...ah well..left around 5:30 with a HUGE smile on my face :D

Don't think I saw any of the tribers...since I don't know any of you but you must have passed by me sometime in the night. If you saw a tall guy wearing a black and white dress shirt, shell necklace, and a clown sweatband going absolutely insane on the dance floor then yea...twas I :D

Techno_Lord

TRIBE Member
Steve Osbourne AkA Lee Osbourne

Agent Smith said:
How was Steve Osbourne?

Lee did not spin due to Legalities with the club. :mad:

But we were treated to as some refer as the other guy spining with Greg Gow that would be Mario J

Cribby your forgiven this time since that was only your 26 post.:p

TL:cool:

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Cribby, she also played trentemoller's beta boy and Nathan Fake's Dianamo (Eulberg remix)...both on her new CD.

I personally thought the tunes last night were slammin. There were a few points where it got to dark and proggy for me, but she brought it back. Initially I wasn't the biggest fan of her track "I love you" but on a big system it sure does the trick! following that track was beyer's walking contradiction which had the room totally going off. Many times I just looked at toby or elektron and threw my hands up in the air, as if to ask "where does she find this stuff?!" I found she also veered away from the big electro-house/tech house/techno hits that I was expecting. She definitely has a stacked collection of crazy european material that we never see here over here due to fairly limited distribution and promo...last night made me wish I'd spent more time searching for obscure records while in berlin last year.

Also her encore was some remix of der muckenschwarm that I've never heard before. Are there are new remixes out or coming out soon of this track?

Mark keeps saying the girls were pretty aggressive there; anyone else notice that? Maybe I should keep a closer eye on him...jeez.
Also I was surprised that we got moved ahead of the line for no particular reason, and didn't get searched at all...no complaints though.

I wish I could go back to last nite! At one point I was so in *the zone* dancing and yelling and getting really into the music that I stopped myself and thought, maybe I should calmn down! lol

Good times.
<-- happy happy camper

Last edited:

Cribby

TRIBE Member
I'm glad you were as zoning as I was Skipper :p

And yea...Mario J...VERY impressive! I think he also played Tribulations which I've never heard live before.

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
torontobarfly said:

actually we've our slowest night was still about 1000 people. ;)

but if you're comparing it to deep dish... then yes... we've been dead every week! :p

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
excuse my poor english :p

gow and mario j were great.. set the tone for the night very nicely.

Loco Dice fucking killed it.. set of the night IMO!

Barbara was good... but no Loco Dice :p

torontobarfly

TRIBE Member
ev said:
actually we've our slowest night was still about 1000 people. ;)

but if you're comparing it to deep dish... then yes... we've been dead every week! :p
haha, never said it was dead silly;)

so hats are allowed now:confused: or might that change by next week:p

Psyrel

TRIBE Member
So I learnt that this minimal techno stuff is really just tech house. My logic behind that being that if it's making my ass shake then it's gotta be some sort of house! :D

Had a great time, I was planning on an early night but Misstress B's tunes dragged me to the dancefloor and held me prisoner there. Didn't hear a lot of tracks from her new album but no matter. Have to comment that as someone who knows very little about techno but a fair bit about prog I found her style last night to be something similar to a mishamsh of James Holden/Lee Burridge....? I know I heard a few Border Community tracks in her set. Anyways, whatever it was, it was totally enjoyable and I only left by 4:30 due to other obligations or else I would have closed off the night for sure.

-Tara.

p.s. wonderful seeing a lot of ppl out who hadn't been there before... hope that you all realize now that the dress-code/elitist vibe from launch night isn't really in effect.

p.s.s. Cribby! Hey, you did know at least 1 Triber there. :)

frogs

TRIBE Member
where are the pics?
Misstress Barbara was no way near as heavy as i was hoping she would be, a little disappointing.
I thought you could smoke in that place?
Cheers to the friendly party goers you people make the night!
Great looking club, and excellent sound, would definitely go back.

EffinHard

TRIBE Member
I think it was bound to happen that MB would turn away from the german hardcore she was being forced to play in europe. Then again germany probably has a tonee to do with the tracks shes playing as they are minimals biggest supporters (next to toronto imo). Trentemoller, and Nathan Fake... sounds like MB is competing with James Holden. ;) Its interesting to see a convergence where post-techno post-progressive dj's have met in this new epi-centre of tech-house, minimal and glitch (micro-house what what). feck its great music and I can't get enough of it.
MarioJ, Gow, Locodice alone would be a tremendous lineup.

throw some steve bug / poker flats / steven bodzin / john dahlback / boxer cart / systematic / sleeparchive into a set and you've got the golden ticket these days.

next up, James Holden - at the controls tour
that is going to be massive.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Barbara wrote about her gig on her website - www.misstressbarbara.com

It's a flash page so I can't copy and paste it, but she said she had an amazing time and would even consider a residency there if the opportunity came up, and that is pretty rare considering she has accepted residencies at less than 5 places over her career....

I knew she was having a good time, but it surprises me she loved it so much! I hope this means she is back soon then!!