• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Minneapolis High School Band Plays 'Endtroducing'

Hal-9000

TRIBE Member
http://www.brianudelhofen.com/DJshadow.html

In the Winter and Spring of 2005, I started the Shadow Percussion Project, where I attempted to adapt a few tracks off DJ Shadow's remarkable album Endtroducing for a live performance group. By mid-February I had arranged both Building Steam with a Grain of Salt and Changeling for Percussion Quintet. Eager to hear what these arrangements sounded like, I brought the music to the Minnetonka High School Percussion Ensemble, an extracurricular music program that I instruct. The students responded to the music positively, even though it was extremely challenging. After a few months of intense rehearsal, the students performed both tracks for a live audience on Monday, May 16 2005. The following two video contains some rehearsal footage and outtakes from this spring, and the final performance.

Vid clip:

http://ia300108.us.archive.org/2/items/BrianUdelhofenTheShadowPercussionProject/spp.wmv

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I cannot wait to hear this when I get home.

I wonder what Long Stem will sound like. And the song with the Bjork sample (forgot the name).

The coolest thing we ever played in band was the 90210 theme song. And jazz tunes in my brass band. But that's about it.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
holy shit is that cool.... infact thats amazing!

If one thing makes being a teacher cool... it would be doing stuff like that. I mean forget the coolness factor..... if I had a teacher like that in highschool I would've stayed in the music program......

that guy gets mad props from me!

ila

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Flashy_McFlash
And my high school band finally succeeds in being even lamer in comparison.
Were you in the band at MCI? More importantly, were you in Mr Dobbin's band at Islington and did you or did you not go to band camp?

I have a vivid memory of you playing the clarinet and/or sax.

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by 416
That sounds like shit.
you're missing the point. The recording isn't exactly high quality and also they're in rehersal. I'd love to have been there hearing it live! that would've been amazing. that grand piano,... and the timpany drums...... and the vibraphones... oh god... i think i just wet myself.

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by ila
Were you in the band at MCI? More importantly, were you in Mr Dobbin's band at Islington and did you or did you not go to band camp?

I have a vivid memory of you playing the clarinet and/or sax.
Shame.

Yes, clarinet in Islington...Mr Dobbin, Albion (x2 or 3), the whole deal. Actually pretty much all I remember about that is Liam constantly forgetting his sheet music and being punished in various ways every day. We played songs from Aladdin or some crap like that, never anything good (though in the early 90's we'd be playing Marky Mark songs I suppose).

ethnik

TRIBE Member
SOLID.

wish my music teachers in high school had been even 10% as inspired as this guy is.

i hope senor Shadow finds out about this and checks it, i can think of no higher compliment than to have someone deconstruct your own personal abstract construct and try to put it down as sheet music.

i can't even BEGIN to imagine how long it took this guy to put this stuff down on sheet.

Last edited:

ila

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Flashy_McFlash
Shame.

Yes, clarinet in Islington...Mr Dobbin, Albion (x2 or 3), the whole deal. Actually pretty much all I remember about that is Liam constantly forgetting his sheet music and being punished in various ways every day. We played songs from Aladdin or some crap like that, never anything good (though in the early 90's we'd be playing Marky Mark songs I suppose).
HOLLA!

I was on trombone. I remember Aladdin, but I quit after grade 9 so that's about all I remember.

awesome. I have pics from bandcamp. I'm totally going through them tonight. WATCH OUT!

zoo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ethnik
i can't even BEGIN to imagine how long it took this guy to put this stuff down on sheet.
err, it's a little tedious (the writing part), but it's not really that hard, i've translated lots of stuff to sheet music using jus t my ear :)

zoo

TRIBE Member
yo that was pretty intense!

i take back my previous statement, that was actually much more complex than i had anticipated, i really enjoyed the very accurate reproduction of the cut-up drums, incredible!