1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Milkrun presents Anja Schneider and Sebo K

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by hermaphrodisiac, Apr 2, 2010.

1. hermaphrodisiac

hermaphrodisiac TRIBE Member

A bit premature, but the opening act is so bad I had to comment. It takes three djs to put me to sleep apparently. Boring tech house will always hold a spot in my digestive tract.

2. erika

erika TRIBE Member

ohlala I feel better about not being able to go :)

3. JAR

JAR TRIBE Member

well Techno music is pretty "caucasian". ;)

4. erika

erika TRIBE Member

^^
    ahahaha well played sir!
    In discussion with your esteemed friend last night, I arrived at the conclusion that it's this stuff you call "tech-house" that bugs me - full-on techno can be quite satisfying; but I had to be good and not go out late :)

5. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

lol

6. preacherman

preacherman TRIBE Member

Got there around three thirty but it would not matter cuz I just stepped into a good time. Nice deep and dark just before Good Friday!

While I was outside Toronto's finest was up and down Bloor W. They eventually parked outside the studio and that's when me and Mr.Tunes snuck away into the Cityscape. I sure hope there was no trouble.

7. veteze

veteze TRIBE Promoter

and then they shut it down. boo. anja was getting super good too.

8. outlaw

outlaw TRIBE Member

the opening dj's were fucking annoying!! Terrible boring shit.

stupid poser 'berlin' shirt to boot.

9. zoo

zoo TRIBE Member

the opening djs sucked balls ... honestly i wish i had shown up at 2am instead of (just before) midnight. those guys had zero direction in their set, and it was just boring all around.

sebo k came on around 2 and immediately the vibe picked up huge. i wish he had come on earlier, or i had gone their later. i left a few tracks into his set because i was tired from a very long day. i heard the place was shutdown at 4 by the po'

10. Destro Sanchez

Destro Sanchez TRIBE Member

got there at 3:30 and kicked out by 5:00:rolleyes:

worst $30 bucks spent in a while.

next time, make sure you've paid up on your bribes before you throw a party.

SeboK was good, Anja was gettin good, and the dancefloor was superdark, so everything was going well until the pigs kicked us out.

11. Psyrel

Psyrel TRIBE Member

Didn't know who the opening djs were but yeah, they weren't interesting. Wish there were more djs who know how to do a proper opening set without it seeming like their hands are tied simply because they can't drop any "big" tunes. But anyways, it did provide ample time to get a drink (or several) and catch up with friends.

Sebo finally picked things up and got the crowd moving. Not mind-blowing but I had the feeling that he was waiting for the b2b later to really let loose. I sure enjoyed Anja, she had just gotten the crowd eating out the palm of her hand and looked poised to destroy the place when things got shut down. Hopefully this doesn't deter her from coming back soon.

Up to the abrupt end though the venue was well run - dancefloor nice and dark, sound was crisp and bathrooms relatively clean. Didn't know if the bigger scale would mean less of the typically friendly Milkrun crowd but nope, everyone seemed friendly, relaxed and polite.

p.s. saw Mr.Tunes briefly but didn't realize that you were there too Preacherman!

12. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Well I dunno I think maybe cause I was in a great mood and feeling sociable and very anticipatory for Sebo and Anja that I didn't have this extra negative impression of the first guys. When I think about it I was rarely excited but the tonality and the 4/4 was I guess putting me in the mood for what I knew was comin up next. I also wasn't really trying to dance much, savin up for the headliners...:) I think there were some plodders in there for sure, so colour me "meh".

Sebo K was outstanding as I knew he would be and I'm very happy to have seen him finally. I got locked in a groove for long periods EASY and the pacing was perfect. Anja's first 20 mins were VERY strong and I was very reluctant to leave but we did around 4:30 or so and I guess that meant we had a "natural" end to the party instead of it being artificially shut down by the popo... That went smooth though right? No "EVERYBODY ON THE GROUND NOW!!" moments eh?? ;)

And it's too bad Erika that you didn't show up and even more unfortunate that you take pleasure in missing out on two very talented people - both live and in productions.

The term "tech-house" is so widely used I think I don't even know what you're referring to when you broadcast your distaste for it. I think that maybe this is something you should carefully reconsider so as to avoid missing out on rare talent again...;)

13. veteze

veteze TRIBE Promoter

no comments on the lights? eesh. what do i gotta do? i couldn't decide if they were too annoying or not. i was trying to keep them low key but i know a couple times they may have been a little too ON.

14. Destro Sanchez

Destro Sanchez TRIBE Member

a couple people have commented on how nice and dark it was.

i LOVE it when it's pitch black with bursts of white so you can just barely make out where everyone is!

15. erika

erika TRIBE Member

I probably would have been there if I hadn't been leaving for NYC the next morning.
    And went to the Jellybean Benitez party and yeah, that is the kind of party I like!

As for tech house, it seems that every time I ask someone "what kind of music is this? it's really not doing it for me", they answer "tech house" - go figure... :cool:

Having said that, I do like Phil and Berk's parties a lot and it's a shame they got shut down.

16. mrtunes

mrtunes TRIBE Member

i have been spotted! nice to see a bunch of you out. there was quite a turnout in there!

i think that the majority of people, including the people who stock the music at the stores online, don't know what tech-house is. it's just a loose term that makes it easy for media types to put a label on music that's a bit from column a and a bit from column b. to me it's usually weighted on the techno side.

i've never been to a party where i'm hearing music and i think "this is tech-house!". to me the genre doesn't really exist.

17. deevah

deevah TRIBE Member

and now you understand why i limit my TO escapades and treat it with such indifference and l'ennui...

Great idea on this gig
    Monetary-wise, not digging on the cost after midnite ($30 is NOT worth both talents...miami was barely this posh) and not all of us have the luxury of showing up at a gig for 7pm for reduced list. (WTF ARE YOU THINKING!?!?!?)
    boo-urns about the shut down
    put anja on a real sound system please

18. Thrill_House

Thrill_House TRIBE Promoter

Its a nice industry blanket term, I personally like it because it seems to draw not only people from the techno crowd but it also seems to draw in more people from the house crowd as well who wouldnt normally consider going to a "techno event", just my $.02 .

19. JAR

JAR TRIBE Member

the Alien InFlux system that was in there is pretty serious (6 massive Cerwin Vega bass bins and a good number of high-end stands), and more than adequate for that room. It's true, it isn't Cielo or Pacha...

20. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

That bad?

I wasn't there, but if I am showing up at a warehouse/loft type space after midnight at a jam that features a couple of names (that surely aren't cheap), I'm expecting to pay 25-30 bones.

T.O. ain't NYC or Miami, and you might need to further manage your expectations. I'd much rather catch this type of music outside of the same tired clubs if at all possible, but the cost of going it alone surely has to trickle down. And as this type of shutdown indicates, the risks also go up.

All in the game, non?

21. Interchange

Interchange TRIBE Promoter

I have to agree the opening act(s) whatever that clown show was turned me right away from the dance floor.
    It seemed like it was someones friends who just bought decks, got a gig and brought their friends from the burbs with them.. and they all thought they would look cool if they stood behind the decks. Sorry you wankers that shite aint going to work at a techno show.

Ok then on to the ticket price - my cheap ass went early to save the 5 bones.. i get it why they have to charge all the money but it was a bit of a piss off.

The vibe, I dunno i got drunk - I liked seeing techno peeps that i hardly see any more because i am sick of going to over priced parties with all the "hottest Berlin djs"

The Hot Berlin DJ's - The first dude was a bit boring... Anja played some amazing tracks !!!
    I think they should have put Anja on first, they made her out to be the main Headliner so why put her on at 4am...How often do we see women djs headlining at techno parties ? i thought that was bullshit.. and then the po po came... bah

I think i saw the cast of jersey shores there.. oh wait i think that was the opening act..

Anyminimaltechnoway... It was fun, a bit sketch but as per usual I had a good time at the milk runs party :)
    I kinda miss the carlaw space - but happy to see they are able to expand.

22. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

ya moving up the headliners by 30 mins or so at least woulda been nice... but I still had a blast! Didnt let nothin bring me down..;)

23. Thrill_House

This may seem like a silly question but does anyone know the names of the first couple of DJ's that were on? I didnt manage to make it out to this event but im familiar with most of the usual dj's that play at milkrun events and im curious to see who these so called "ass clowns" were.

24. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

From the facebook listing it was Tripzone, Koen & Cee Cee Cox. No idea who they are.

25. Thrill_House

Yup never heard of these guys before but they sound like some douchebag hipsteresque DJ names.