• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Mike Duffy resigns from Conservative caucus but doesn't quit the Senate

alexd

Administrator
Staff member

Senator Mike Duffy has resigned from the Conservative caucus and will sit as an Independent amid controversy over his living and travel expense claims.

In mid-April, Duffy, a senator representing Prince Edward Island, issued a statement that he had repaid more than $90,000 in housing and living expenses that had been inappropriately claimed over four years. The Senate committee on internal economy confirmed the $90,172.24 repayment.

This week, it emerged that Nigel Wright, the prime minister's chief of staff, wrote a personal cheque for $90,127.24 to repay Duffy’s living expenses.

The parliamentary ethics officer is examining whether Wright was in violation of the Conflict of Interest Act when he wrote the cheque for Duffy.

“It is clear the public controversy surrounding me and the repayment of my Senate expenses has become a significant distraction to my caucus colleagues, and to the government," Duffy said in a statement.

"Given that my presence within the Conservative caucus only contributes to that distraction, I have decided to step outside of the caucus and sit as an independent Senator pending resolution of these questions."

Duffy described the situation as "difficult" saying that he and his family "are going to take some time away from the public."

A Deloitte audit of three senators — Duffy, Mac Harb and Patrick Brazeau — looked at travel claims and the living allowance that senators can claim to stay in Ottawa if their primary residence is more than 100 kilometres away. Duffy, a former journalist, has a longtime home in Ottawa and a residence in Prince Edward Island. The living allowance is worth up to $22,000 a year. The audits were trying to determine whether the senators were properly claiming the allowance.

Before the audit was completed, Duffy said he would pay taxpayers back $90,172, but that he hadn't done anything wrong. He said the form senators use to declare their primary residence is confusing. The audit said the rules need clarification.

CBC News reported Thursday that Duffy is listed as being on Senate business during the last federal election on two days when documents show he was campaigning for the Conservatives in the Greater Toronto Area. The audit shows that Duffy was neither in Ottawa nor Prince Edward Island, but in an "other location" on Senate business on April 27 and 28, 2011.

The prime minister's office said Thursday the Conservative Party is reviewing Duffy's expense claims from the 2011 campaign.

from cbc

acheron

TRIBE Member
we need to update the pics to include Pamela Wallin as she's dropped out of the cockus too.

Last edited:

derek

TRIBE Member
cards are tumbling down.

Harper chief of staff resigns amid Senate expense scandal - Canada - CBC News

Nigel Wright has resigned as Prime Minister Stephen Harper's chief of staff, following revelations he wrote a $90,000 cheque to cover living expenses claimed by Senator Mike Duffy.

Nigel Wright has 'full confidence' of PM after Duffy cheque
In a statement issued Sunday, Wright said Harper has accepted his resignation "in light of the controversy surrounding my handling of matters involving Senator Duffy."

"My actions were intended solely to secure the repayment of funds, which I considered to be in the public interest, and I accept sole responsibility.

"I did not advise the prime minister of the means by which Senator Duffy's expenses were repaid, either before or after the fact," Wright said.

He said he regrets the impact the matter has had on the government, the Tory caucus and all his colleagues.

Harper issued his own statement on Sunday, confirming Wright's decision.

“It is with great regret that I have accepted the resignation of Nigel Wright as my chief of staff. I accept that Nigel believed he was acting in the public interest, but I understand the decision he has taken to resign.

"I want to thank Nigel for his tremendous contribution to our government over the past two and a half years," the prime minister said.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Did anyone else notice that Duffy is driving aorund with PEI plates on his car in Ontario?

that is very illegal considering it's been proven that PEI is not the location of his principal residence. In essence he is committing insurance fraud

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
who, me or Duff ?:p
false sense of entitlement ? senility ?
greedy prick ?
he's in deep deep shit, and i think he's going to roll on his superiors.