• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Mike Bullard & writers - for shame for shame

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
and really, anyone else who COULD be putting togehter a show as good as Conan was last night ...

WHY can't Canada have a show of that calibre, on which our stars (like Michael J Fox etc.) would actually want to appear and offer to appear. we just don't have one that's good enough and Mike B ain't cutting it.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
You are preaching to a Tribe of converted.

If there was a Mike Bullard message board we would invade it daily and mecilessly. (Believe me I looked.)

Lil'Timmy

TRIBE Promoter
Mike Bullard = Global = Canada

Conan = NBC = North America

Translation. More people, big network, and a guy who can, at times, be funny.

plus Max Weinberg just rawks (if he's still there)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
hey i'm not all of a sudden jumping on the OH MY GAWD IT'S CONAN bandwagon. I'm just saying there should be a show in freakin' Canada that Canadian stars would want to be on. I think it's mostly a matter of the host and the style of the show, the vibe, the attitude and the quality and we just don't have one likethat.

The talent must be here to produce such a show!

Zorro

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Sunshyne Jones
I'm just saying there should be a show in freakin' Canada that Canadian stars would want to be on.

It's called Hockey Night in Canada!!! :p

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
I'm sorry, no offence..
i don't like conan, and i have a co-worker that likes to remind me every single day (for the past 3 years) of the stupid thing conan did last night.. it bores me to death, so i'm sick of hearing his name.

i'll just go and be bitter somewhere else :)

junglegirl

TRIBE Member
I am sick of hearing about Conan too - If only we had that much respect for someone from our own country it would be nice...Mike Bullards show sucks - and I agree their must be someone who could host a show thats worthy of good guests and loyal watchers

Stan

TRIBE Member
More indication that Mike Bullard sucks (as if we needed it):

Mike Bullard as saviour? N.Y. turns up its nose
Not much interest south of the border in Canada's most famous talk show host

CURTIS RUSH
STAFF REPORTER THESTAR.COM

Will we ever see Mike Bullard in New York doing what Conan O'Brien is doing here to boost tourism?
Will we ever see Canada's most famous - and only - late-night talk show host "take'' Manhattan?

Will Bullard ever invite famous U.S. stars onto his show to talk about how great it is to be an American? Will he ever play goofy hockey with the Rangers? Have the Empire State Building mud wrestle with the Golden Gate Bridge?

Will Bullard ever take a bite out of the Big Apple?

Not likely, and most assuredly not for $1 million in government money that Conan and his gang got to come here.

When presented with the idea of an exchange of talk-show hosts so that Bullard could introduce U.S. audiences to his own brand of humour and thereby inject millions of dollars into that city's tourism market, several key figures in the U.S. showed a distinct lack of interest.

Everyone from Mayor Michael Bloomberg's office, to tourism officials in New York, to Canadian Consul General Pamela Wallin's office, to NBC executives reacted as if they'd just eaten some rancid back bacon or opened a stubby of skunky beer.

Bloomberg's office would not talk to thestar.com. They demanded a formal request for an interview be sent by email before there might be consideration. Wallin's office didn't return phone calls. The whole New York city tourism department was at an all-important marketing meeting and could not be disturbed.

Even Conan's publicist wouldn't return phone calls.

And he's here in Toronto.

Someone in O'Brien's office in New York was asked if they had ever heard of Mike Bullard.

"No, I haven't," was the polite response.

A person at the American consulate in Toronto laughed at the idea and said, "That's not something we would get involved in."

Finally, NBC spokesperson Tom Bierbaum weighed in on the subject. He was polite, but basically said the idea didn't sound plausible.

He said Conan already has an audience in Canada that Bullard doesn't have in the U.S.

"Our audience in the U.S. probably doesn't know any of the home-grown Canadian shows," the NBC executive said.

So maybe it's up to Bullard's people to start the ball rolling.

"Conan and his people took the initiative to go to Toronto," Bierbaum said, suggesting that any move might have to come from Bullard's people.

Over to you, Mike.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
On Tuesday night I happened to watch a bit of Bullard while I was waiting for Conan. Don Cherry was on...

The two of them were like yesterday's runnerups. Two sorry has beens stewing in their own self-pity and at odds with themselves over the attention Conan was getting.

Bullard has always struck me as the kind of guy you wouldn't want to know in real life. Creepy. The bad neighbour on the street who mows his lawn at 7am on Saturday morning. Who parks his suburban blocking the sidewalk. Gives you the finger behind your back but is all smiles when you're facing him. And he always seems to be staring at your wife. The kind of guy that would make special olympics jokes if he could get away with it.

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by poker face
I wish all you people would just hop off the conan bandwagon already.

um ... already covered this ...

hey i'm not all of a sudden jumping on the OH MY GAWD IT'S CONAN bandwagon. I'm just saying there should be a show in freakin' Canada that Canadian stars would want to be on. I think it's mostly a matter of the host and the style of the show, the vibe, the attitude and the quality and we just don't have one likethat.

poker face

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by coleridge
On Tuesday night I happened to watch a bit of Bullard while I was waiting for Conan. Don Cherry was on...

The two of them were like yesterday's runnerups. Two sorry has beens stewing in their own self-pity and at odds with themselves over the attention Conan was getting.

Bullard has always struck me as the kind of guy you wouldn't want to know in real life. Creepy. The bad neighbour on the street who mows his lawn at 7am on Saturday morning. Who parks his suburban blocking the sidewalk. Gives you the finger behind your back but is all smiles when you're facing him. And he always seems to be staring at your wife. The kind of guy that would make special olympics jokes if he could get away with it.

Holy shit you are deep.

:D

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by stir-fry
I'm sorry, no offence..
i don't like conan, and i have a co-worker that likes to remind me every single day (for the past 3 years) of the stupid thing conan did last night.. it bores me to death, so i'm sick of hearing his name.

i'll just go and be bitter somewhere else :)

oh yeah, i saw that in another thread and felt sorry for you having to deal with that.

you don't have to go somewhere else.

i'm less pro-conan than anti-canada-not-showing-our-stuff on this front and only having Mike Bullard as our only canadian choice in this genre.

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by PosTMOd
I think I should be the host of a Canadian talk show.
if you start a talk show I wanna part of it! *fer real*

isn't that show called Vicki Gabaro or something?

Shot out west in vancouver?

Last edited:

Kalemic

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by coleridge

Ha! :D

(and from the stories I've heard from people who have dealt with him, that sounds about right)

JayIsBored

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by PosTMOd
I think I should be the host of a Canadian talk show.

timotalk.jpg

Kalemic

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by vveerrgg

Yeah, thats on CBC. And I actually like it, its more a show for retired people or soccer moms, but its a decent show and the host has a pretty sharp wit.

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by vveerrgg
if you start a talk show I wanna part of it! *fer real*

Errrrrrr ummmmm yeeeeeah she's better and people will actually go onto her show which is nice, but still not really what i'm lookin' for. :)