1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Miguel Migs at Sunnyside

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by erika, Jul 11, 2010.

1. erika

erika TRIBE Member

Was too much fun
    (Warning: this will be a useless review for those who want hard information :p)

Got there around 11, Riviera was playing a bumping set - I really like how she's moved away from the (tedious) big room sound and gotten more down on the ground.

Tricky did a sympathique set after that, then Miguel came on. I don't have a clue what he played of course, but I danced my feet off.
    Some of those tunes were just that "oh this is so good and true it's making me happy all over" kinda good :).
    It was a good party, the vibe overall was good, the visuals so esthetically pleasing - I love Sunnyside parties.
    Speakers were set up in such a way that there were other options than right up at the front if you wanted to get your dance on.
    Matthew with the loping steps you are too sweet and I loved the way you were hearing the music :)

Dale did the close out set, so we wandered off to that proper speakeasy for some live wailing guitar and disheveledness to close out the night. All good!
  2. mrtunes

mrtunes TRIBE Member

nice roundup!

i was only there for miguel. i always like his sets, but especially nice to hear them in the summertime outdoors.

really good feeling inside (or outside?) the venue, it kind of reminded me of the album art on all those sleezy house compilations that used to be the rage.

but i remember when i saw him a year or two ago at the mod club, at 2 am he kicked up a few notches and played late. i understand this party was a little different, but he should've packed in a better punch near the end.

anyways he left that for dale though which is good!

i am now curious what some of the other sunnyside parties are like when the headliner isn't as much of a name as miguel is. last time i was there was for time festival a few years ago (when it rained).
  3. Big Cheese

Big Cheese TRIBE Member

good times, fantastic set by migs, dale closed up shop strong (didn't he drop Cada Vez closer to the end?!?) not gonna comment further on the music bacause it was, as to expected, with that kinda lineup... straight filth top to bottom.

crowd was easy on the eyes and it was quite comical that the sketch factor slid more towards the broads as opposed to the usual creepy doods at milk parties. made for interesting waits for the ridiculously priced cans of beer. but i mean hell, its fucking sunnyside. whatever.

p.s next time i'm bringing a skid of beer n' do'er up proper, same bat time, same bat channel.

4. erika

erika TRIBE Member

YOU should have come there earlier! Sunnyside parties are pretty well always good; some of the best ones I've attended were with all locals.

And Time isn't really representative (though their use of two levels was interesting) - that was a one off thing in that environment.

Big Cheese, I think it depends on where (or at what ;)) you were looking; I think it was a 50/50 split between genders on the cheese factor, but, most importantly, not enough to be off-putting.

I'm looking forward to the next one :)
  5. soulbrother 10

soulbrother 10 TRIBE Member

Great party!

Gorgeous summer night - sweet beats - beautiful people. Migs threw down the funkiest shite. And I loved how the live percussionist-trumpeter contributed to the mix.

Simply a fabulous night.
  6. danielablau

danielablau TRIBE Promoter

I fell in love with Suzanne........that is all.
  7. Thunder

Thunder TRIBE Member

was supposed to go but alas did not fit into our plans. damn it.
  8. danielablau

danielablau TRIBE Promoter

Ok well not really in love.

Such good times. Loved that I was surrounded by people dancing their asses off. Been a while since I've caught a vibe like that.

Big ups to the crew around me keepin me moving!
  9. gl*tch

gl*tch TRIBE Member

thought about hittin this but the back patio bbq action w/ smoked trout kept me glued in place.

good to hear it went off well!
  10. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator TRIBE Member

Ditto! Danced my ass off Saturday night! What an amazing party!
  11. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

What a night. The weather was perfect, the venue is in a class all its own and the tunes and crowd were both top-notch.

This will be hard to beat for "party of the summer".
  12. Dj Dirty Dale

Dj Dirty Dale TRIBE Member

Does that mean you left ...Im confused by this..

Great times the whole night !

I love sunnyside for life!

Thanks all who came and made it what it was :)

Also thank you peeps for the good words.
  13. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

dammit dammit dammit
  14. NemIsis

NemIsis TRIBE Member

I must have arrived around the same time as you erika. Good times and dancing I haven't done in too long.

It was nice to see familiar faces (more due to me not going out much than them). Even saw a friend who was celebrating her bday looking all glam in her pearls, but let's face it - she'd look gorgeous in a paper bag. It was nice to see her and others.

Not sure about the sketch factor being mostly women as I did notice a few very sketchy dudes. What I did notice were the ladies trying to navigate the area in high heels. Not a good choice there.

Great venue! While I have often gone there for drinks after work, I've never been there for a party and it was amazing. I loved the ambiance and like erika said, I appreciated the speakers being set up in different areas. When I did move to the front for a bit there didn't seem to be the crush that usually happens at these events as ppl were more spread out.

Good times! (DG, you should have come!).
  15. Joe Seven

Joe Seven TRIBE Member

Amazing night all around. Got a full on bass-massage standing in front of the right-hand speaker for most of the evening (bonus: no post-party ear ringing). Migs & Dale delivered some supreme goodness: funky, dirty and delicious stomp-inducing tunes... at time I was literally jumping off the dance floor. Nutty. The place was rammed but not too difficult to navigate. Bar service was quick and easy. Can't really beat a successful Sunnyside party, it's a pretty awesome spot. I think it'd be cool if they set up a tiki-style bar there... I'm always craving pina colada's on that terrace. 'Till next time...
  16. Rage

Rage TRIBE Member

Sunnyside, hands down, IS THE BEST this city has to offer, venue wise, in regards to these types of events...you could put the drummers from Yonge & Dundas there for the night and it could still be the party of the summer.

Music was great, not mind blowing but perfect for the night and vibe.

1st Sunnyside of the summer and I did notice a bit of a douchey Jersey Shore vibe going on, more so at the back than normal but props all around....great times, can't wait for TMB!
  17. erika

erika TRIBE Member

Not until I had danced a bunch more - are you kidding? :)

I can't believe you hadn't been there for a party!
    And yes, DG, that's where you should have been Saturday night.

Second one actually ;)
    And you do get some of those kinds of people at those events, but spread out enough, and they all leave promptly at last call :)
  18. Big Cheese

Big Cheese TRIBE Member

therein lies the problem; you assumed i was looking...

also i'll throw in my cards and big up the fact (again) that the speaker set up made it much more accessible for us cats at the back to have more rug to cut and still have the hairs on the back of our neck stand on end. made for more of an impact as a guest then the last time i was there, which was refreshing to say the least.

whats the next sunnyside gig btw?
  19. SmoothOperator

August 1st - Not sure who's spinning.

August 7th - Martinez Bros.
  20. tobywan

tobywan TRIBE Member

21. erika

erika TRIBE Member

August 1 Roxy Reunion alongside Milk, Garage 416, Bump and Hustle and Movement

August 7 Martinez Brothers

I think this is a much more fun spot to do a Roxy Blu reunion party than Revival. mrtunes, here's your opportunity to hear all locals :)
  22. mrtunes

mrtunes TRIBE Member

it is almost a miracle that i went out in the first place! glad to see everyone here had a great time.

we'll see what happens. like you, i plan half an hour in advance
  23. erika

erika TRIBE Member

There are close to 200 pics just posted on fb for this; the crowd mix was pretty cool; only one guy with a bare waxed chest and most people have their back to him.
    dtox I tagged you in a few
    Nemisis I think I saw you in one, but having never met you I'm not 100% sure.
    And Joe Seven there is definitely one of you :)
  24. SmoothOperator

There are actually two albums from Migs. So in total, almost 400 pictures! Wow! I'm in a lot of them! Ugh!!
  25. mrtunes

mrtunes TRIBE Member

i dont see the photos on his fan page, but on a separate note he has 18K fans over there which is quite a lot for a house dj!