• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

MIDI controllers for Traktor (not Final Scratch)

beaker

TRIBE Member
I will soon be undergoing the laborious process of recording all my vinyl to WAV and just having it on file to play around with on my laptop. I don't have time to DJ anymore and I am tired of moving so much vinyl around...

I would like to check into a USB MIDI controller with two platters or jog wheels to simulate a CD deck or something to use with Traktor. Has anyone here actually used one that they can recommend? I see a few out there (faderfox, hercules console) but none of them seem to have any reviews.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

djactivator

TRIBE Member
man, this is DJ Activator here.. 2 friends and I are looking to pick up this Hercules Console RMX Midi Controller/Sound card :) Nowhere available in Toronto! We want 3x in one shot :) pleze holla back if you knowa place, we are looking for 3 so maybe work a deal as well :)

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
I too would love to hear about DJ/comp mixers. I'm primarily mixing with Live now and been looking squarely at Xone 3D

3D_top_overlays.jpg

Anyone ever used one?
(Sorry Beaker :p)

Borzoo

TRIBE Member
I tried a hercules yesterday at a friends place but it was with VDJ and not Traktor and it was very smooth... I believe moog sells them
the 3D in the pic would do the job too if you have a bigger budget n want more inputs.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kyfe

TRIBE Member
unique2100 said:
That thing is ugly. What ever happened to turntables and vinyl. "The Medium is the message" people.

Everyone is tired of hearing you trumpet archaic ways to make/mix music, sure vinyl is great that's why it's been around so long, we know that and most still use it today but the future is finally here and people are starting to embrace it, there is nothing wrong with that.

I have the faderfox and i love it, it has a built in FX joystick that i've just started figuring out how to use to get the sounds i want. you don't even need to touch your laptop, all the buttons you need are right there. the base part is the addon fx boxes you can buy, also you can expand your setup to 4 decks all controlled via daisychained midi's

if you every want to give it a try, PM me and we can work something out

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
The Vestax one looks cool....its cheap too and looks like its built well...

I also love vinyl, for the 'record' (im so punny)

basilisk

TRIBE Member
I'm still waiting for the killer next-gen device... presently, DJ MIDI controllers seem a bit flimsy and poorly designed. There is no reason why they can't come out with something that has the heft of the CDJ-1000 but I haven't seen it yet. Things move quickly though... so I'm going to wait it out.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
basilisk said:
I'm still waiting for the killer next-gen device... presently, DJ MIDI controllers seem a bit flimsy and poorly designed. There is no reason why they can't come out with something that has the heft of the CDJ-1000 but I haven't seen it yet. Things move quickly though... so I'm going to wait it out.

3d is the closest to that on the market right now. but i know what you mean. while my faderfox is mostly plastic it is very well built and does a great job mimicing a dj mixer

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
basilisk said:

The Vestax one looks cool....its cheap too and looks like its built well...

Borzoo

TRIBE Member
err.. so you have the EQs up there for two sources what happens to the faders then? or do you still need an external mixer? then whats the use of EQ knobs? maybe you could assign the faders into the extra two knobs on the left n use them as rotary faders but them that's not too ergonimical is it? I don't know about the touch screen pitch control.. two of them right next to each other what if you're carl cox with big fingers and want your knobs and faders big? so two assignable jog wheels but I'm assuming the big platter in the middle is what you pitch bend with so what if you wanna push one deck and pull the other? I don't know about the size either with the same size as a turntable no matter how much it looks like it's from Mars the size doesn't look so futuristic...it sure looks cool though

blipblurpbleep

TRIBE Member
I'd probably side with the A&H xone 1d, 2d, or 3d, but the korg zero4 and zero8 are getting some pretty decent reviews...
You're up an audio interface as well with all of the above options (with the exception of the 1d)

zero4_center.jpg

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
the biggest complaint i've heard with midi controller mixing is that the pitch control only gives you 128 steps of resolution making it a bitch to ride if you're used to ultra-accurate pitch controls of techs or CDJs.

Serato is coming out with a new program called Itch to use exclusively with some new controllers which is supposed to help in that respect (i don't know the actual tech but it's somewhere on their site).

The new Vestax VCI-300 and the Numark NS1 will be using Itch rather than just midi...

kyfe

TRIBE Member
dj_soo said:
the biggest complaint i've heard with midi controller mixing is that the pitch control only gives you 128 steps of resolution making it a bitch to ride if you're used to ultra-accurate pitch controls of techs or CDJs.

yeah riding the pitch is a bit of a bitch, so pulling off 2 minute mixes aren't in your best interest most of the time.

I've found mixed in key has helped offset this a bit though.

jreticent

TRIBE Member
Was using a XONE3D for almost 2 years and after a few tours and doing weekly podcasts, I went lighter!Lol! I am now on a M Audio Trigger Fingers that I customized for 4 decks. There are so many midi cc's, you just have to fool around. I use a Remote 25Sl for Ableton as it seems to take better.

Jesse,

www.reticentrecordings.com