• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

midi controller/keyboard for downtempo music

Cameron

TRIBE Member
Hey everyone,

I am going to be in the market for a midi controller/keyboard this summer and wanted everyone's input. I thought of the Korg MicroKontrol, but I absolutly MUST have full sized keys.

I am currently looking at the Novation 25 remote audio, but I know there are so many options out there. My only necessities are that they connect with usb, and the keys are full sized and velocity sensitive. I'm trying to get as much of an instrument as a controller, if that makes sense.

I'm looking at dropping around $800 max for it, leaving me with another $200 for a soft synth.

I produce downtempo and jazzy hip hop, if that really matters...

thanks yall.

p.s. software list is as follows: Ableton Live3, Reason 2.5, soon to get ReCycle. I will be controlling mainly Live with this purchace.

Last edited:

sputnik

TRIBE Member
If you've got that kind of budget, why don't you take a look at a hardware synth?

You can get an EMU MK-6 or PK-6 for about US$400 right now. 61 key keyboard + midi control knobs.

cheers,
paul

Cameron

TRIBE Member
The reason I am not looking at a hardware synth is because I am looking primarily for a high quality controller/keyboard that will be mobile, versitile, and serve more than just keyboard needs.

thanks for the replies everyone. I'll check that website tonight Mike.

I also want to point out that this is my first keyboard purchace, so if I'm missing something, or don't fully understand the way a hardware synth can work nowadays, I would appreciate some additional info/website.

thanks dudes.

Last edited:

erikwh

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Cameron
The reason I am not looking at a hardware synth is because I am looking primarily for a high quality controller/keyboard that will be mobile, versitile, and serve more than just keyboard needs.
I also want to point out that this is my first keyboard purchace, so if I'm missing something, or don't fully understand the way a hardware synth can work nowadays, I would appreciate some additional info/website.

thanks dudes.

Hey I just bought my first controller a couple of months ago. Edirol PCR-30... its great! now I wish I bought the 50 key version.. if you are looking for something really mobile the oxygen 8 is about it. I did some research before buying and I got the feeling that the overall quality of edirol is much better than the midiman and m-audio products. I bought mine in vancouver but I am sure that you could go to tom lee and just play around for half an hour or so with everything they've got.
have fun,

erik

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders