• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Mid-market database apps?

vinder

TRIBE Member
I'm using MS Access to do some data analysis, but it's a POS that's so slow that I want to hurl my laptop out the window. I'm just running some simple queries on a table that's approx 2000000 rows, but it's resulting in my laptop slowing to a crawl.

Are there any (free/cheap) alternatives that would provide a bit more performance? I think I can get FoxPro through my office, anyone heard any good/bad things about it?

oh toro

TRIBE Member
are you looking for a proprietary client-server solution? if not, you could achieve your goals with either mysql/postgres backend and a php-browser-based frontend.

free/cheap is relative... if you need to deploy fast, then you may need to drop some $ to reduce dev time (if you're not adept at open source front/backends) by going with a proprietary solution.

oh toro

TRIBE Member
your query is mathematical, so i don't think another solution would lessen the cpu cycles required. can you not run the database backend on another machine and just make queries from your laptop while having the script process on the server?

futronic

TRIBE Member
Is it a single table? Multiple tables? Depending on the type of query, creating an index may improve pulling of records, but computation will still pull CPU as oh toro said.

I'm biased towards Oracle, so I would say to use Oracle 10g Express Edition (depending on how much data there is) and something like SQL Developer (free) to help formulate your queries/computations.

Edit: Also depending on the type of query involved, tuning your SQL statement could improve performance. Ending up with a smaller result set will obviously reduce your overall compute time.

-- Jay aka Fut

matty

TRIBE Member
if you are used to access but are looking for something a little snappier, with some advanced tuning capabilites (like clustered indexes) take a look at SQL Server express edition. It's free, requires less db experience to setup and maintain than mysql or pg, and should feel more familliar to an access user. That being said, you might still find things unacceptably slow and need to seriously look at normalization and tuning. If all else fails offload the work to a cheap desktop with lots of ram - leaving just the client on your laptop.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
you will probably see some performance increases with mysql or sql server. but don't expect them to be panacea. The operation is probably limited by the speed of your hard disk, memory bus, and cpu, which on a laptop is kind of shit to begin with.

vinder

TRIBE Member
thanks for the tips guys. i'm actually looking into oracle 10g express with a sql developer front end. i've used sql developer before, so at least that will be familiar. hopefully i can handle the backend, though i dont' think i'll require any crazy setup.

i think you guys are right, the limitation is prolly my laptop, but it just feels like the queries are rather simple (select into with some grouping), so i'd like to explore these options first.

thanks again for the help, much appreciated.

futronic

TRIBE Member
Vinder,

Oracle 10g Express is pretty straightforward, especially in a Windows environment. PM me or MSN me if you need some quick help.

-- Jay aka Fut

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Yeah, step 1 is to use a more serious database (mysql, oracle, postgresql, etc) and step 2 is to look at the query efficiency. After that, it's all hardware.