1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Microsoft WIndows 7 Smartphone OS unveiled in powerpoint slide show.

Discussion in 'Technology' started by alexd, Oct 11, 2010.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

October 11, 2010, 10:41 am

Microsoft Unveils New Windows Phones
    By NICK BILTON (NYT)

Microsoft on Monday unveiled the final version of its long-awaited Windows Phone 7 mobile operating system, which it hopes will give it a greater presence in the rapidly expanding market for smartphones.

The software was introduced at a news conference in New York City led by Steve Ballmer, Microsoft’s chief executive officer. He said the new operating system would be available on nine handsets next month from a variety of hardware manufacturers — LG, Samsung, HTC and Dell. Some of these phones will have keyboards, Mr. Ballmer said, and others will be exclusively touchscreen.

The new phones will be available on AT&T’s network starting Nov. 8, he said, and later in the year on T-Mobile. Verizon and Sprint will offer the phones in 2011. AT& T will offer three phones, at $200 apiece.

Microsoft has a lot at stake with the new phone software. Over the past several years the smartphone market has grown exponentially. The Apple iPhone, Google Android and RIM’s Blackberry have taken the lead in customer sales.

Microsoft, which does not have a quality competing smartphone, has lagged behind. With the new operating system, it hopes to become competitive.

In his remarks, Mr. Ballmer stressed the features on the new phones that will allow people to customize their devices. “We focused in on how real people really want to use their phones when they are on the go,” he said, adding that the ability to customize the phone is what he thinks distinguishes his company’s product from others.

The AT&T phones will have its U-verse TV service, allowing users to watch live television on their devices, said Ralph de la Vega, president and chief executive officer of AT&T’s mobility and consumer market unit, who also spoke at the news conference.

Joe Belfiore, Microsoft’s corporate vice president and program manager of the Windows Phone 7 platform, demonstrated the new operating system at the news conference. He showed a homescreen that can be customized to each user, integrating social networks, messaging and integration with the Microsoft Xbox.

Mr. Belfiore also showed other unique features, including Microsoft’s Power Point slide presentation software and in-depth search integration.

Another feature is Office Hub, which offers a free integration with Microsoft’s One Note software, making it easy to share and edit documents between a Windows phone and a Web-enabled version of the software.

Consumers can also link their phones to other Microsoft products, including Xbox LIVE for gaming, Zune music and video content, and the Bing search engine.

2. deepfunkysoul

deepfunkysoul TRIBE Promoter

Sweet, been waiting for this for awhile. I'm torn between the Samsung focus, HTC HD7 or the Dell lightening. I'll probably be heading down to the u.s to pick them up since bell and telus only have the LG optimus listed so far.

3. deepfunkysoul

4. rawd

rawd TRIBE Member

That Dell phone is ugly as chuck

5. Aerius Zension

Aerius Zension TRIBE Member

I'd like to see this succeed. More competition. Most reports have all been positive.

6. deepfunkysoul

I'm sure it will do fine. This is just the beginning and the selection of phones look pretty sweet.

As for the Dell phone being ugly? It looks pretty sick to me! plus the hardware is looking great so far 4.1" AMOLED screen, gorilla glass are nice touches but it still a prototype. I'll wait till the actual hardware specs are finalized. Wonder who's manufacturing for dell?

7. Dialog

Dialog TRIBE Member

Thankyou Ars Technica

[​IMG]

8. deepfunkysoul

9. KillaLadY

KillaLadY TRIBE Member

It looks like shit.

10. deepfunkysoul

Hot shit:p

11. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

It looks great.

Had the LF optimus in my hand for 30 minutes today. They have done a very good job with this. It works great!

No time for more comments now but I'll try to do a mini review later.

12. deepfunkysoul

Awesome, I'm still leaning toward the Dell Venue pro but still no release date. I'll see how long I can hold off, rumors suggest late November early December release. :D

Oh btw where did you see it? Everyone is keeping tight lipped about it till Monday.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  13. deepfunkysoul

[YOUTUBE]uwKjEJOAWxg[/YOUTUBE]

14. Dialog

Dialog TRIBE Member

Can you upgrade a Kin to Windows Phone 7?

15. deepfunkysoul

Nope Kin was actually the T-mobile Sidekick that Microsoft purchased from Danger. It was basically a dummy terminal based on cloud computing. Not one of Microsoft's best moves.

16. RumRogerz

RumRogerz TRIBE Member

lol @ IE

17. deepfunkysoul

18. deepfunkysoul

Microsoft expected to sell 3.5 million WP7 devices in Q4

Microsoft has a hot product on its hands and we are not talking about Kinect. WP7, Microsoft's latest mobile operating system, is expected to make a big splash in the fourth quarter. The new platform is expected to not only hit the ground running, but to make its way onto 3.5-4 million devices according to Morgan Stanley, via BusinessInsider.com

The report comes on the heels that WP7 inventory is dwindling across the globe and that demand is outstripping supply. According to Business Insider, "a report in Digitimes based on reports from Taiwanese manufacturers, stocks of HTC's HD7 are currently gone at German carrier O2, and Australia's Telstra is out of the HTC Mozart. Last week, U.K. carrier Orange warned its retail managers about likely shortages of the Mozart and Samsung Omnia".

The high demand is surely music to Microsoft's ears who has taken the all-in approach to the launch of this platform. Microsoft knows that if WP7 fails it will instantly become years, if not decades, behind its competition in terms of a mobile platform. Fortunately for Microsoft, it seems that consumers are willing to adopt WP7 and are doing so in high volume.

As Windows Phone 7 continues its launch across the globe, starting in New Zealand with the first phone sold in the world, followed by the Australia and Europe, Microsoft is going head on into an intense phone platform battle, where the company has been lagging behind for many years.

;)

19. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

picked up an HTC HD7 yesterday on bell.. gotta say this OS is AWESOME..

love it love it..

There's an update in the works called Mango where it's full HTML5 and based on IE9.. So it will be a chrome equivalent on mobile.. The IE built in browser is surprisingly good, but not as fast as safari.. so looking forward to alternatives/ IE9... looks like Microsoft is about to blow the doors off this shizzle.. should get interesting.

<3

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  20. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

I mean the javascript on the factory IE mobile 7 isn't as fast as safari in a rendering, javascript context.. the load times are identical to the iPhone 4..(3g)...

21. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

oh shit! look what just came up: like just now...

this is absolutely, entirely, pointed at mobile....

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...llion-deal-to-buy-skype-paper/article2016157/