• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Microsoft Monopoly Thread.. and how do I uninstall...

JayBrain

TRIBE Member
I want to totally un-install internet explorer from XP.. as well as Outlook express, and Messenger

instead I want to use Mozilla's Firebird and Thunderbird.

so Microsoft bundled their shit with XP so well that it's hard to get rid of their apps?
and how buggy will windows be if I decided to use 3rd party products for windows instead?

and... my last question..
How hard is it for any company to even have a fair chance competing again a giant like microsoft?
I read a post on tribe earlier that Real Networks is Sueing MS because it's Media Player has the market as well... so whats up with that? Does anyone have a fair chance against Microsoft?

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
You Cannot remove IE from Windows

Messenger just uninstall.
To remove Outlook Express you have to do a custom install of IE and remove it through that.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by JayBrain
Does anyone have a fair chance against Microsoft?
Microsoft best be changing their business model, or they going down.

For a large corporation, they can sure move quite fast, as witnessed by their rapid movement on the internet front in about '95 when they realized it actually might become something...

I keep seeing an IBM ad touting Linux, which I find quite interesting...

For anyone interested in dabbling into Linux, without the headache of tarballs and whatnot, go to this link, download an ISO, burn it onto CD, and you have a fully bootable Linux OS... merely change your BIOS settings on startup to boot from CD, and voila, instant Linux to fuck around with... IT'S FREE! IT'S FREE!

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html

Also on the CD.... hundreds of softwares, from GIMP (like Photoshop, except FREE) to CD burning software... all sorts of things and IT'S FREE... IT'S FREE... IT'S ALL FUCKING FREE...

So, as I was saying, Microsoft best be changing their business practices...

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Stan
You don't have to uninstall IE in order to use Mozilla.
That's right. And in fact, firebird/thunderbird (GENIUS combination btw) will ask you about defaults during the install...click "yes" to make those two bad boys your default mail client and browser.

I love those two...I like thunderbird more than ximian evolution actually, even though some people swear by evo. :)

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

JayBrain

TRIBE Member
yeah.. I agree that I don't need to un-install IE.. but just the mere fact that It cannot be un-installed was what I'm kinda getting at.

(PS.. TABBED BROWSING!!! Wooohoo! )

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by JayBrain
yeah.. I agree that I don't need to un-install IE.. but just the mere fact that It cannot be un-installed was what I'm kinda getting at.

(PS.. TABBED BROWSING!!! Wooohoo! )
Oh yah, your point was a bit more philosophical. I shrug off Windows. Their business model will have to change eventually..."all-in-one" packages become impossible...software design, especially operating systems, should be using open standards for communication, hardware and software interoperability...windows is trying to leverage market techniques to maximize profit, not productivity...it won't work in the end, which is why they'll need to change eventually.

I avoid using windows at all costs...linux is a great alternative, not as well supported as corporate windows-based products, and because you don't have the huge support backend, things like the software development of new hardware drivers really lags behind...suicks ass when you have your brand-spanking new video card and no linux driver that supports it....things are improving though. Ultimately, I'm an idealist and I think that the success of Linux is evidence of the success of variant models of productivity, not as heavily reliant on profit margin....anyway, yep, tabbed browsing is cool. You should check out the plug-ins support for firebird...mouse gestures, and shite like that. :)

kriztian

TRIBE Member
i was happy with linux once then my old know it all roomate started recompling the kernal and fucked it up huge

maybe its time to go back on a dual boot or something what is the best linux front end nowadays

living three years behind with his p III
kriz

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by kriztian
maybe its time to go back on a dual boot or something what is the best linux front end nowadays
Go to that link I put above, download an english ISO, burn it to CD, and you have a fully compiled Linux kernel, bootable from CD... fuck around with it, and if you like it, put it on your hard drive... or, just leave it as is, on CD, yackety-yack.

It's also good for taking into work, booting onto your workstation, and fixing anything that you want, i.e. do you want admin rights? Knock yourself out...

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit