• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

MicroFIT Program: Putting solar panels on your roof in Toronto

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Is it worth going through the MicroFIT Application process to get solar panels put on your roof in Toronto? I am thinking it would be a good way to sell power back into the grid and make back some money from the Ontario Power Authority...

kuba

TRIBE Member
I don't know if you'll make a lot of money selling it back, the price-per-kwh has been dropping per application stream, the cost is still high to have it installed and maintained, if you lease it out to someone else you're making less, and, your roof may be too small.

lobo

TRIBE Member
I'm hearing that it's not worth it these days. Too long a payback and didn't they think of scrapping the whole thing?

Lobo

Puma

TRIBE Member
I was going to get this installed at my house I got a few quotes but decided at the end that it's not exactly worth it.

It costs about 30-40 k to get it installed. So you need to service a loan.

Here is why it's not exactly worth it .

The biggest residential system that is available to homeowners does not generate enough power to meet the needs of our house hold . It only generates about 60-70 % . We don't use the air conditioner often only on really hot days. So it's not like you sell off the extra and your power is payed for . The system does not work like that anyways. All the electricity goes on the grid it has a separate meter and u get payed for the electricity that u generate. But u also get a bill for the power you use. The reason why it sort of makes it work is because the ontario taxpayers pay u 3 times more for the solar electricity that u produce then what u pay for using that electricity.

You can get a system with batteries and use your own generated power but then u need to spend more and the batteries will need changing in about 10 years. But as I said it can run a small cottage but not a whole house hold. U would have to still pay for electricity to make up the short fall.

In the end in 20 years when u payed off the loan you would make some money but not a lot and it's not worth servicing a loan for 20 years. In 20 years your panels will loose efficiency and will have to be replaced. And u will most likely have an outdated inefficient system.

This system only "works" because the tax payer is over paying for the solar energie by a lot

Last edited:

lobo

TRIBE Member
Someone explain to me why the Europeans seem to have solar panels on practically every other house and over here it doesn't pay off well. Are their needs less than ours when it comes to power?

Lobo

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

acheron

TRIBE Member
IKEA starts selling solar panels for homes - CBS News

STOCKHOLM Swedish flat-pack furniture giant IKEA will start selling residential solar panels at its stores in Britain, the first step in its plan to bring renewable energy to the mainstream market worldwide.

The company started selling solar panels made by China's Hanergy in its store in Southampton on Monday. It will sell them in the rest of Britain in coming months, it said.

A standard, all-black 3.36 kilowatt system for a semi-detached home will cost 5,700 British pounds ($9,200) and will include an in-store consultation and design service as well as installation, maintenance and energy monitoring service.

"In the past few years the prices on solar panels have dropped, so it's a really good price now," IKEA Chief Sustainability Officer Steve Howard told The Associated Press. "It's the right time to go for the consumers."

The solar panel investment will be paid off in about seven years for an average home owner in Britain, Howard said.

"That is a great deal. If you are going to be in your house that long, your energy will be free after seven years," he said.

Howard said IKEA aims to launch the products in other countries eventually. It picked Britain as its test market because it has the right combination of mid-level electricity prices and government-sponsored financial incentives that make investing in solar energy attractive to consumers.

"This is a market by market decision," he said.

The U.K. government offers private solar panel owners the opportunity to sell back electricity to the grid on days when they have surplus production and has a financing plan for solar power investments, which means residents can buy a system for no upfront cost and pay it off gradually.

lobo

TRIBE Member
The solar panel investment will be paid off in about seven years for an average home owner in Britain, Howard said.

"That is a great deal. If you are going to be in your house that long, your energy will be free after seven years," he said.
Ok that's a bit misleading. I didn't know that they had found a way to greatly increase the output of solar panels to no longer need the grid for your energy. lol

Lobo