• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Microcrap Orifice!

DJAlchemy

TRIBE Promoter
Fed up with seeing the same logo all over and over? Worried about 'big brother' catching you with pirated software that you would never in your life think of paying for? Find yourself asking “who the hell uses Corel software anyway?” Well then this may be the solution for you!

www.openoffice.org

“So like, what is this shit?”

Open Office is a free product with a host of useful programs designed with an open source (code that is.) This means basically that anyone can use the code, add to it and redistribute it as a version of the original. Thire website is chalked full of info for those who are interested.

I think its a great idea; it's like glorified freeware.

Thats one less orifice I'll be using from now on, and I must say: It feels good to finally get some closure!

:D

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Gunark

TRIBE Member
The thing with OpenOffice, is they copied MS Office a little too well. They didn't just emulate all the useful features, they copied all the useless annoying ones too. Just like MS Office, OO is a bloated monster, with hundreds of misplaced features you will never use (or worse, annoying "features" that will constantly get in your way). This includes everyone's favorite auto-list formatting, default sentence capitalization, weird text style and template system, etc.

A free copy of crap is just that -- free crap.

I really wish they would've done this differently... Microsoft's way of doing user interfaces is incredibly bad. If you're going to put so much time and effort into something like this why not do it right?

Last edited:

Gunark

TRIBE Member
By the way, a while back Sun tried to do it's own free version of Office all in Java. It's called StarOffice. I haven't used it in a while, but I remember it being only marginally better, and unfortunately considerably slower.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Gunark
By the way, a while back Sun tried to do it's own free version of Office all in Java. It's called StarOffice. I haven't used it in a while, but I remember it being only marginally better, and unfortunately considerably slower.

Actually, that's not the case, StarOffice=OpenOffice. From their website:

StarDivision, the original author of the StarOffice suite of software, was founded in Germany in the mid-1980s. It was acquired by Sun Microsystems during the summer of 1999 and StarOffice 5.2 was released in June of 2000. Future versions of StarOffice software, beginning with 6.0, have been built using the OpenOffice.org source, APIs, file formats, and reference implementation.

The OpenOffice.org source code initially includes the technology which Sun Microsystems has been developing for the future versions of StarOffice(TM) software. The source is written in C++ and delivers language-neutral and scriptable functionality, including Java(TM) APIs. This source technology introduces the next-stage architecture, allowing use of the suite as separate applications or as embedded components in other applications. Numerous other features are also present including XML-based file formats and other resources.

OpenOffice has been slowly revamping their interface in response to complaints like yours Gunark: but, they're always going to keep the interface "feel" very close to that of M$, because the whole point of their marketing tactic is to gain users through ease of transition.

Your point is a very good one though: some of the (il)logical functionality of openoffice is unnecessary, and it sounds like they carried the theme a bit too far.

As an FYI for everyone, OpenOffice is now able to import Wordperfect documents in addition to Word, Excel, etc.

I don't really use OpenOffice much though, I'm a big fan of LaTeX/emacs/xdvi... ;)